Cable Killed the Video Star - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Cable Killed the Video Star

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Cable Killed the Video Star

Postby Coppermine » Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:34 am

It's disappointing that it's nearly impossible to watch music video's these days. Literally impossible. MTV2, which was developed as a cable alternative to MTV when they went almost completely original programming, has become the same as MTV itself, with neverending reruns of "Pimp My Ride."

I like "Pimp My Ride." I like "X to the Z." But I need some music videos.

There was a cable network called MTVX that played rock videos, but that was short lived and replaced with MTVJams, 24 hour rap/r&b videos. Sorry rock fans.

MTV Hits is another station that plays videos, but good luck finding anything other than what they play on MTVJ... it seems rap and R&B are more popular and anything else is a footnote. Especially since no-talent ass clowns like Nickelback are what define modern rock.

VH1 offers the alternative VH1 Classic, which is a great channel, but just plays too many obscure videos... nothing mainstream here, but nothing modern either. If it wasn't a hit in 1976, why would it be a hit now?

But the internet has changed some things, and I wanted to share some videos with you in case you were unaware of them. They're by a band called OK Go. I like OK Go. They achieved moderate success in 2002 with the single "Get Over It" which I still listen to occassionally. They released a new album a year go, but it's still getting attention... and it's not because of the music... it's because of the videos.

OK Go Released "A Million Ways" last fall to huge success... but not on MTV or VH1... they had no interest. Their video became "viral" and invaded YouTube with huge success; The ultra-low budget, one-take video featured the band in their back yard performing a dance choreographed by lead singer Damien Kulash's sister, Trish Sie. I first heard about it on NPR and after downloading the video, knew that that it was unique. Not only is the video fantastic, but it has spawned a wave of "copycats" all over YouTube and Google Video.

Their latest video, released July 31, for the song "Here It Goes Again" features a similar one-take, low budget video, but this time with the band on treadmills. Apparently they've been asked to perform at this year's VMA's ... it's too bad no one watches video's anymore.

"A Million Ways"
http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia/capi001 ... s_v300.asx

"Here It Goes Again"
http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia/capi001 ... n_v300.asx
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby giants! » Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:22 am

I have some wierd channel called FUSE, that plays videos of all genres.
giants!
General Manager
General Manager

Postby luckygehrig » Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:25 am

FUSE is cool. They'll play some decent rock every once in awhile and they even play some of the grunge stuff from the early 90s which is always cool.

I've seen the new Ok Go video on VH1's top 20 countdown. I had been fastforwarding on my Tivo to get past all the Beyonce and other crap that was on there and I had to stop when I saw four guys jumping back and forth on treadmills. Awesome video and the song was kind of catchy too. I've pretty much given up on TV for music videos anymore. If there's anything I ever want to see I just head over to Youtube.
luckygehrig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:34 am

MTV Hits is another station that plays videos, but good luck finding anything other than what they play on MTVJ... it seems rap and R&B are more popular and anything else is a footnote. Especially since no-talent ass clowns like Nickelback are what define modern rock.

That and horrible emo bands. Face it, modern rock is D-E-A-D. Rap is the new rock and roll. Its what all the kids like and all the parents hate.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby davidmarver » Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:24 am

CubsFan7724 wrote:That and horrible emo bands. Face it, modern rock is D-E-A-D. Rap is the new rock and roll. Its what all the kids like and all the parents hate.

Yes, but rock has musical talent within it.

As to the topic, see if you have FUSE. That channel always has rock videos on...you'll get the mainstream videos like Switchfoot, Godsmack, etc. but they'll also throw in some lesser-known, yet good bands like Saosin. Good channel if you want to see modern rock videos. ;-D
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby 1337_Dude » Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:58 am

FUSE is the way to go. They'll give you a good blend of rock with other stuff mixed in. I don't bother with music videos anymore though, it's not worth sitting through 25 minutes of crap for a good 5 minutes of video.
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:42 am

davidmarver wrote:
CubsFan7724 wrote:That and horrible emo bands. Face it, modern rock is D-E-A-D. Rap is the new rock and roll. Its what all the kids like and all the parents hate.

Yes, but rock has musical talent within it.

As to the topic, see if you have FUSE. That channel always has rock videos on...you'll get the mainstream videos like Switchfoot, Godsmack, etc. but they'll also throw in some lesser-known, yet good bands like Saosin. Good channel if you want to see modern rock videos. ;-D

Why don't you write a rap song right here then, since it obviously takes no talent. Oh, and make a beat too. Most (bad) rock bands cover up lyrical ineptitude with "wicked" guitar solos.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby cordscords » Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:08 pm

Like others have said, FUSE is the way to go ;-D
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 156)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:37 pm

I don't watch either MTV or VH1. That was so 1997.

If I remembered right, I have a friend who has a friend who started up FUSE.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 451)

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:02 pm

Fuse is covered in the typical emo garbage that has become far too common nowadays. Hey, if you enjoy Hawthorne Heights, all for it.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk