Morneau for MVP - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Morneau for MVP

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What place will Justin Morneau finish in MVP voting??

Poll ended at Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:29 am

1st
15%
2nd
6%
3rd
79%

Total votes : 34

Morneau for MVP

Postby Big_Man » Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:29 am

Hey, new to the site, but I write for another and found out about this place through one of my readers. Here is my first post.
I saw ESPN compare the "three MVP candidates" tonight. I was a little disappointed to see Justin Morneau was not mentioned with Jeter, Dye, and Ortiz. Big J's numbers pretty much speak for themselves when you put them up next to those guys:

Morneau- 32 HR, 110 RBI, .587 SLG, 72 K, .317 AVG
Ortiz- 46 HR, 120 RBI, .630 SLG, 99 K, .287 AVG
Jeter- 10 HR, 78 RBI, 26 SB, 94 K, .880 OBS, .469 SLG, .335 AVG
Dye- 37 HR, 99 RBI, .650 SLG, 94 K, .650 SLG, .327 AVG

Obviously Big J is putting up MVP numbers, but no one is talking about him. Probably because there is about as much media in Minne as there is hairs on my grandads head (maybe 3 total). In my opinion if you look at those number closely, Jeter should not be in it. Why? Name one leadoff hitter that would get MVP if he didn't play for the Yankees. Sure he gets on base a lot, but he also fans almost as much as Ortiz, and just as much as Dye. Ortiz hits well in the clutch, but to be named the best player in the league you have to hit over .300, which he isn't. How about Dye? Well he strikes out more than Morneau, and his team is behind the Twins. Morneau is the best player on a better team. So that has to count for something.
Well that is my two cents. I really think that my Morneau 4 MVP campaign will hinge a lot on how he plays in the 15 AL East road games he has left. Since the media, outside of myself, doesn't seem to notice anything past the Appilations.
Big_Man
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Havok1517 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:39 am

I don't think he'll be in the top 3.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 136)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CircleMeBert » Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:45 am

He really should be in the top 3. If you think of each of these candidates in terms of how much they mean to their team, Morneau has to take the cake.

Sure, the Yankees are in first, and naturally, you look for an MVP, but Jeter just isn't an MVP in any way. Take him out of that lineup, and there's a damn good chance the Yankees are still in first. Without Morneau the Twins would SURELY not be in first right now. Ortiz clearly means a great deal to the Sox, especially with all the game winners, and he seems to be the frontrunner here.

To me, the top 3 is Clearly Morneau, Dye, and Ortiz, and i'd have to lean towards Morneau, with the Twins leading the division.
CircleMeBert
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Havok1517 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:53 am

I'm not saying that Morneau doesn't deserve to be in the top 3 or even win it but I don't think he will be in top 3. I think it'll be...

1. Ortiz
2. Jeter
3. Dye
4. Hafner
5. Manny
6. Morneau
7. Halladay
8. Santana
9. Vlad
10. Ibanez

...somethin' like that.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 136)

Postby Mugrila » Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:59 am

I think he'll be overlooked not just b/c of his location, but also because he lacks a dominant stat. Ortiz and Dye have the HRs which draw attention. Jeter has a good avg/obs and does everything a top of the lineup hitter and "team leader" should do. Morneau is solid across the board. His rbi's are great, but are still overshadowed by Ortiz. I think Morneau should be getting more MVP talk than he is, but I don't think he should win it at this point.
Last edited by Mugrila on Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby Big_Man » Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:26 am

He has so many less K's than the other three. That is a dominant stat in itself, not one that anyone looks at, but they should. That means he is moving runners, bunting, or flying out while those other guys are shaking their heads as they walk back to the dugout. As I said though, Morneau MVP ballot will depend on his 15 games against the AL East.
Big_Man
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Mugrila » Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:30 am

Big_Man wrote:As I said though, Morneau MVP ballot will depend on his 15 games against the AL East.

I agree, a lot is still up in the air and it really depends on how all of these players finish the season.
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby Kingctb27 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:40 am

He wont make the top three although he shoulc. :-/
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion

Postby Strasil42 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:53 am

CircleMeBert wrote:He really should be in the top 3. If you think of each of these candidates in terms of how much they mean to their team, Morneau has to take the cake.

Sure, the Yankees are in first, and naturally, you look for an MVP, but Jeter just isn't an MVP in any way. Take him out of that lineup, and there's a damn good chance the Yankees are still in first.

8-o 8-o 8-o

You obviously haven't watched a lot of Yankee games to say that.
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

Postby CadensDad » Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:21 am

Havok1517 wrote:I'm not saying that Morneau doesn't deserve to be in the top 3 or even win it but I don't think he will be in top 3. I think it'll be...

1. Ortiz
2. Jeter
3. Dye
4. Hafner
5. Manny
6. Morneau
7. Halladay
8. Santana
9. Vlad
10. Ibanez

...somethin' like that.

Solid list except I see Thome in there instead of Halladay

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers