Is Ryan Howard now a sure fire 1st rounder? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is Ryan Howard now a sure fire 1st rounder?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby jdsun1 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:16 am

All about this guy. He's a solid first rounder, but the depth at first base makes you wonder if you should pass on him or not.
jdsun1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ender » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:53 pm

Yoda wrote:Boy where are all those people who were so against Howard prior to the season?

Howard had a history of being terrible vs lefties and has a couple pretty big holes in his swing, it wasn't out of the question to see him end up in a platoon situation this year. Those who weren't super high on him this year were just playing the odds the way you should when drafting.

Next year I'd take him late 1st round. I'm still a little afraid he'll go Teix on us next year since Howard has had two incredibly hot streaks and no major slump this year. But I think the upside makes him worth late 1st round for sure.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Yoda » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:28 pm

Ender wrote:
Yoda wrote:Boy where are all those people who were so against Howard prior to the season?

Howard had a history of being terrible vs lefties and has a couple pretty big holes in his swing, it wasn't out of the question to see him end up in a platoon situation this year. Those who weren't super high on him this year were just playing the odds the way you should when drafting.

Next year I'd take him late 1st round. I'm still a little afraid he'll go Teix on us next year since Howard has had two incredibly hot streaks and no major slump this year. But I think the upside makes him worth late 1st round for sure.

To be fair though, he may have been an older prospect but based on his experience, he made such drastic improvements as he was promoted.

Reason why I didn't think he was overrated.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Yoda » Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:24 pm

Come to think of it, I think I'd probably take him in the first. He is in his peak and he hasn't given me any reason not to think that he can do this again. Unless he does a complete 180 in September, he is probably a safe 1st round pick.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby tol1l1yboy » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:30 pm

I got him for a song during the offseason in my keeper league and will be happy to include him as one of my 5 keepers next year again. :)
tol1l1yboy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers