Is Ryan Howard now a sure fire 1st rounder? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is Ryan Howard now a sure fire 1st rounder?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Yoda » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:38 pm

cordscords wrote:If Howard does hit 50, people shouldnt be expecting him to top that mark again.

In the Modern era only a few players have hit 50 in consecutive seasons.

McGwire and Sosa did it (and they were on 'roids), and A-Rod and Griffey did it.

He isnt anywhere close to being as proven as those guys are, I would label this as a career year.

Well, he is probably going to hit 60 this year. He has more power than anybody I've ever seen and his home park advantage is pretty big.

He still K's a ton but the real knock on him was his splits against lefties. He's doing just fine though and I can even see him improving that area.

I do agree that I would probably pass on him in the first round but he would be a fine second round pick.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Thursday » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:41 pm

Keeper leaguer here, i nabbed him in the first round (fifth, for all you re-drafters) this year.
Thursday
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mikegp » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:20 pm

Yoda wrote:Boy where are all those people who were so against Howard prior to the season?

I'm right here ;-D
mikegp
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby acsguitar » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:27 pm

Yoda wrote:
cordscords wrote:If Howard does hit 50, people shouldnt be expecting him to top that mark again.

McGwire and Sosa did it (and they were on 'roids), and A-Rod and Griffey did it.

He isnt anywhere close to being as proven as those guys are, I would label this as a career year.

Well, he is probably going to hit 60 this year. He has more power than anybody I've ever seen and his home park advantage is pretty big.

He still K's a ton but the real knock on him was his splits against lefties. He's doing just fine though and I can even see him improving that area.

I do agree that I would probably pass on him in the first round but he would be a fine second round pick.

I don't think he hits 60 this year but one year I think he would. Career year in his second year??

I doubt it. He crushes the ball oppo which is not something easily done. The kid is a stud and will challenge 61 (the real mark)
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby cordscords » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:48 pm

acsguitar wrote:
Yoda wrote:

I don't think he hits 60 this year but one year I think he would. Career year in his second year??

I doubt it. He crushes the ball oppo which is not something easily done. The kid is a stud and will challenge 61 (the real mark)

That would mean that Howard can regulary put up 60 HR as he enters his prime years. I don't think that's something he's capable of. It wouldnt shock me to see him break 50 a few times, but for his career I see plenty of 40-45 HR years.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby Geek » Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:00 pm

How many guys are even relatively safe bets for 40+ HR's?

I count 4:

1. Manny
2. Ortiz
3. Pujols
4. Dunn

The first three on that list are guaranteed top 6 picks for next year. Howard is much closer to those guys than he is to Dunn.
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:44 pm

Los_Dodgers wrote:I wouldn't take him in the first, but I'd take him early to mid 2nd round for sure. However, my love affair with Ryan Howard started at the end of last season, and I picked him in the early 4th this year and was shunned by many people on this site.

That sounds about right. Early 4th round sounds like a more than justifiable time to reach, if you want to call it that, on Ryan Howard.

Geek wrote:How many guys are even relatively safe bets for 40+ HR's?

I count 4:

1. Manny
2. Ortiz
3. Pujols
4. Dunn

The first three on that list are guaranteed top 6 picks for next year. Howard is much closer to those guys than he is to Dunn.

Mr. Berkman perhaps, says I.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby brandnew » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:03 pm

Yoda wrote:Boy where are all those people who were so against Howard prior to the season?

I wasn't against him, just thought he was overhyped. I got owned for sure. Kid's unbelievable. I'm still in shock over the whole Pecota thing...
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Geek » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:09 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
Los_Dodgers wrote:I wouldn't take him in the first, but I'd take him early to mid 2nd round for sure. However, my love affair with Ryan Howard started at the end of last season, and I picked him in the early 4th this year and was shunned by many people on this site.

That sounds about right. Early 4th round sounds like a more than justifiable time to reach, if you want to call it that, on Ryan Howard.

Geek wrote:How many guys are even relatively safe bets for 40+ HR's?

I count 4:

1. Manny
2. Ortiz
3. Pujols
4. Dunn

Mr. Berkman perhaps, says I.

Berkman has hit 40+ only once in his career. He'll do so again this year, but he's not like those other guys.
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:28 pm

1st Round, 10th pick -- Even if Howard's there, I'm picking someone else.

And I love the guy.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers