Is Ryan Howard now a sure fire 1st rounder? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is Ryan Howard now a sure fire 1st rounder?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:45 pm

In a standard redraft or keeper league, I see Howard going in the late first round. I'll even be bold enough to say he could go for the seventh or eighth overall pick in keepers.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 676)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby sixer03fan » Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:53 pm

[quote="Krunk City King$"]funny how some talk as if they do not EVER see him cutting down on his K rate and improving on that in the future......maybe even next season.

afterall, he improved on hitting against lefties this season....dramatically.

and he improved on hitting after his junior year of college when his BA dipped below .300....which caused some scouts to think that this kid was not anything special....

my league penalizes for Ks......but if this man leads the league in HRs and in RBI after his second year in the league, in that lineup batting higher (finally), and in that shoebox ballpark....

i view him as a keeper and a first rounder down the road! he generated empty points early in the season cause he hit so low in philly's batting order. many of his HRs were solo. now there are more ducks on the pond when he comes to the plate nowadays.

his productions should increase next season. even with the Ks he is the 4th best 1st baseman in my league. behind Ortiz, Pujols and Morneau.

:-°[/quote]

i agree with you for the most part. but i'd definitely take him over morneau
sixer03fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby TheYanks04 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:16 pm

CadensDad wrote:I still dont see him as a first rounder. At least not in the top of the first round. 1st base is a deep postion and for solid numbers you can grab a Berkman type in the 4th round or so. He's good dont get me wrong but I just see better postion options out there right now

Berkman will likely not last til the 4th round. He is late 2nd to 3rd round material imo. Howard likely goes soemwhere early round 2 in most leagues.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Kingctb27 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:19 pm

Yeah, easily. He has better hr and rbi #'s than pretty much everyone. ;-D
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion

Postby Yoda » Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:15 pm

Boy where are all those people who were so against Howard prior to the season?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Big Tiex » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:22 pm

i think he will be a late 1st round selection next year. the thing about him i like the most is his ability to drive the ball to the opposite field. i just think he will get better and cut down on the k's next year.
Big Tiex
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Gold Rush » Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:00 pm

Howard's HR/Fly Ball rate is by far the highest in the league at 36.9%, while second place is below 30%. I think that will level out a little bit next year, although it should still be high do to his power, it shouldn't be THAT high.

He K's way too much to project a consistent .290 average. He could hit that one year then he could hit .260-.270 the next with the amount he K's.

He's at a pitiful .245 clip with RISP, I'd expect a dive in RBI's next year

With 1B being a as deep of a position that it is, I'd stay away from Ryan Howard in the first round. I'd much rather wait on a guy like Morneau that will go in the 3rd possibly 4th round.

Point being, I'd much rather take a safer pick (guys like Cabrera or Crawford) than take the risk that Howard will enjoy the type of season he is having this season
go 49ers!!!!!
Gold Rush
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby jdsun1 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:16 pm

pokerplaya wrote:Unfortunately I declined the trade offer of obtaining Howard for my Teix back in April.

I can see him going top 5-10 in most leagues, for sure. Stupid Teix. He single handedly sunk my season (although I'm still in 4th in a H2H league, so who knows what will happen in the playoffs).

Howard is going to rake for many years to come.

Single handedly for me too. However I was one spot away from getting howard as my 1B man instead I got sexson. I would def. take Howard in the 1st though given the chance.
jdsun1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:05 am

I would not take Howard in the first round.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby CadensDad » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:41 am

Yoda wrote:Boy where are all those people who were so against Howard prior to the season?

I'm here and I was wrong, I'm not intrested in him for next year unless he falls to me in the later part of the 2nd round. I think there are better buys out there in shallow postions. Howards good dont get me wrong but there are ALOT of good first basemen......ALOT

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers