Is Ryan Howard now a sure fire 1st rounder? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is Ryan Howard now a sure fire 1st rounder?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is Ryan Howard now a sure fire 1st rounder?

Postby BTOWNHESS » Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:45 pm

Mark Teixera was on average the 4-5th pick in almost everyones draft this year, now Ryan Howard is shattering Teixera's best season's stats. He'll hit around 55 homers with around 150 RBI's...Plus next year he will still have Rollins and Utley batting in fron of him and he plays half his games in Coors Field East.

Outisde of Mr. Pujols, I dont see a 1st baseman Id take over him especially with the fact David Ortiz will probably lose his 1B eligibility...

So my question.....Howard a sure fire 1st rounder next year?
BTOWNHESS
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby KoopaTroopa211 » Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:49 pm

In most leagues, he'd probably be worth a 1st round pick. If your league penalizes for K's, though, he'll drop a round.
KoopaTroopa211
General Manager
General Manager

Postby cordscords » Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:52 pm

Howard will go in the first round, but I will likely pass on him. The K's lead me to believe that his average will take a dive next year (not into the toilet, but perhaps into the .275 range) and his HR/F ratio sits at 36.7%, the highest in 3 years. I believe the HR total will also dive, though it will still be very good, I would rather wait on a 1B.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby Amazing Oopah » Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:14 am

In keepers and dynasties, he's probably a 1st rounder for sure.

And I thought Ortiz got his game eligibility for next season during interleague play (at least for Yahoo!) :-?
Amazing Oopah
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Krunk City King$ » Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:59 am

funny how some talk as if they do not EVER see him cutting down on his K rate and improving on that in the future......maybe even next season.

afterall, he improved on hitting against lefties this season....dramatically.

and he improved on hitting after his junior year of college when his BA dipped below .300....which caused some scouts to think that this kid was not anything special....

my league penalizes for Ks......but if this man leads the league in HRs and in RBI after his second year in the league, in that lineup batting higher (finally), and in that shoebox ballpark....

i view him as a keeper and a first rounder down the road! he generated empty points early in the season cause he hit so low in philly's batting order. many of his HRs were solo. now there are more ducks on the pond when he comes to the plate nowadays.

his productions should increase next season. even with the Ks he is the 4th best 1st baseman in my league. behind Ortiz, Pujols and Morneau.

:-°
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Geek » Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:29 pm

Absolutely a 1st rounder. 50+ and 150+ is elite territory.
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

Postby pokerplaya » Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:43 pm

Unfortunately I declined the trade offer of obtaining Howard for my Teix back in April.

I can see him going top 5-10 in most leagues, for sure. Stupid Teix. He single handedly sunk my season (although I'm still in 4th in a H2H league, so who knows what will happen in the playoffs).

Howard is going to rake for many years to come.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby noseeum » Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:44 pm

He's definitely worth the 8th round pick it's going to cost me to keep him next year!!
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby CadensDad » Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:06 pm

I still dont see him as a first rounder. At least not in the top of the first round. 1st base is a deep postion and for solid numbers you can grab a Berkman type in the 4th round or so. He's good dont get me wrong but I just see better postion options out there right now

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Krunk City King$ » Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:41 pm

i forgot to add that he also scares the other owners play against you when he is on your team, hittin HRs on touch 'em all (baseball tonight) every other night.....

i like psychological edges too.....

:-D
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers