Bedard; no injury, wondering something else - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Bedard; no injury, wondering something else

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Bedard; no injury, wondering something else

Postby Richie Rich » Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:00 pm

I remember grumblings of him getting shutdown, especially since he is a their ace and is pitching great, but they are basically done this yr..after today he is up to around 160 ip, any inside info???...i would like to be prepared if he gets shut so i can pick someone else up for the near future..
C:Sandoval 1B:Teixeira 2B:Ramirez 3B:Huff SS:Rollins OF:Crawford OF:Markakis OF:Kemp U:Holliday U:Morneau B: Werth DL: Lowell
SP Billingsley Shields Verlander Lackey Romero Hughes
RP Cordero Bell Bailey Francisco
DL Dempster
Richie Rich
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazing Oopah » Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:12 am

why would he be shut down? He isn't a 22 year old with a high ceiling. He's already 28 or 29 IIRC. He might as well get some innings of work now for next season.

Plus, if they shut him down, who are they going to start? Bruce Chen? :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o
Amazing Oopah
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Richie Rich » Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:23 am

Amazing Oopah wrote:why would he be shut down? He isn't a 22 year old with a high ceiling. He's already 28 or 29 IIRC. He might as well get some innings of work now for next season.

Plus, if they shut him down, who are they going to start? Bruce Chen? :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o

i dunno man i ws just relaying what i remember hearing a few weeks back...i think it's more due to his injury history and them being out of it....and he just turned 27 in this past March 6th. O:-)
C:Sandoval 1B:Teixeira 2B:Ramirez 3B:Huff SS:Rollins OF:Crawford OF:Markakis OF:Kemp U:Holliday U:Morneau B: Werth DL: Lowell
SP Billingsley Shields Verlander Lackey Romero Hughes
RP Cordero Bell Bailey Francisco
DL Dempster
Richie Rich
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby rainman23 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:58 pm

I may be wrong, but I believe this "shut down" idea is a myth that somehow has gained a little momentum in recent years. If a guy is injured sufficiently, he won't pitch. If he's ok, he will. Management may be a little more cautious if it's late in the year and they've got nothing to play for. But only marginally more. Healthy guys aren't going on the shelf. It's not like you can put those innings in the bank and save them for a rainy day. If you're a young guy, and you're not damaging yourself, that additional experience you get in September may pay dividends next season.

Now if you could confirm whether Bedard is actually nursing any nagging injuries, that would be great to know. I miss that consistent guy I picked up a couple months ago.
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Injuries & Player Updates