September Callups (Merged) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

September Callups (Merged)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Bozo » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:00 pm

gfantasy wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:Along with Penn...Greinke & Pelfrey.

Well Pelfrey is on the DL and the Mets have 7 starters right now...

Plus, as I mentioned, I'm in an AL only.
Huber in KC kind of interested me but Shealy should get most of the Sept ABs.
Bozo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Havok1517 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:06 pm

gfantasy wrote:

Rotoworld

Mike Pelfrey-S- Mets Aug. 27 - 2:46 pm et

Mike Pelfrey returned to the mound for Triple-A Norfolk on Saturday and worked three scoreless innings.

Pelfrey missed three starts with a strained lat muscle. The Mets probably won't bring him up until the minor league season is over.

Hayden Penn-S- Orioles Aug. 27 - 2:42 pm et

Hayden Penn fanned 10 in eight scoreless innings Saturday for Triple-A Ottawa.

He allowed five hits and walked none. Despite going on four days' rest after throwing 124 pitches his previous time out, he was allowed to throw 110 pitches yesterday. The Orioles are expected to add Penn to their rotation after rosters expand.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 123)

Postby gfantasy » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:09 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
gfantasy wrote:

Rotoworld

Mike Pelfrey returned to the mound for Triple-A Norfolk on Saturday and worked three scoreless innings.

Pelfrey missed three starts with a strained lat muscle. The Mets probably won't bring him up until the minor league season is over.

Good looks. I didnt even see that today...I think a Pelfrey call up is too soon and unnecessary. Like everyone else, I am peeing in my pants at the thought of him on the mound. However, I want to see him develop correctly and be effective when he's in the majors.
gfantasy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Web Supporter

Postby Havok1517 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:22 pm

gfantasy wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:
gfantasy wrote:

Rotoworld

Good looks. I didnt even see that today...I think a Pelfrey call up is too soon and unnecessary. Like everyone else, I am peeing in my pants at the thought of him on the mound. However, I want to see him develop correctly and be effective when he's in the majors.

Pedro is delicate, it appears Glavine is going to be okay, both he and Trachsel have a lot of innings on those arms, Orlando is ailing, Williams is not an effective starter, Perez has all the talent in the world but the command of new born puppy, Maine is surprising people, Soler is in same boat as Pelfrey but has far less talent, and Robertson & Iriki would be good for batting practice. Oh, Darren Oliver stinks it up. I'm not saying Pelfrey should pitch right away but I think he should be called up before Sept. 1 so he can be on the postseason roster and spell some of the older guys.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby Zito is God » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:26 pm

I fear that Penn will never make good contributions in the majors. #3 if you like wishful thinking.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Havok1517 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:49 pm

Zito is God wrote:

I fear that Penn will never make good contributions in the majors. #3 if you like wishful thinking.

I'm the opposite. I think he'll be a #1.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby hybrid » Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:01 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
Zito is God wrote:

I agree with ZIG for the most part (Leo could make him better though), really nothing about him says front of the rotation starter to me. There are very few #1's and I don't even see him having that potential.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:32 am

hybrid wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:
Zito is God wrote:

I agree with ZIG for the most part (Leo could make him better though), really nothing about him says front of the rotation starter to me. There are very few #1's and I don't even see him having that potential.

Hayden Penn - SP, Baltimore Orioles Aug. 27, 1:29 p.m.
Penn's control was not ready for the jump from Double-A to the majors last season, but he has made major progress this year and continues to post about a strikeout per inning. His success relative to age at each level also shows that Penn, 21, could become an eventual ace. Fantasy Source spin: He should get a rotation spot in September and go on to help fantasy owners from there. (Seth Trachtman/SN)

Looks like I'm not the only 1 who thinks Penn has the stuff to be an ace.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:40 am

Alberto Callaspo, 2B, Arizona Diamondbacks. Callaspo has already had some short stints in the majors this season, so he is sure to see time in September. Acquired from the Angels in spring training, Callaspo is almost a sure thing as a regular in the majors. He is excellent defensively, has hit well above .300 in Triple-A this season and has incredible plate discipline. Although his power and speed are only average, they are hardly any worse than current Arizona second baseman Orlando Hudson. The Diamondbacks could look to move Hudson this offseason as a direct result of Callaspo, and he has the ability to help NL-only owners in average during September if given playing time.

Rajai Davis, OF, Pittsburgh Pirates. Does anyone actually think the Pirates know what they are doing with their current outfield situation? Of course Jason Bay is a fixture, but otherwise, the regulars for next season are anyone's guess. Enter Davis. He is a prototypical leadoff hitter, which means he has the ability to help owners with steals. He has decent contact ability and was hitting .283 with 45 steals at Triple-A Indianapolis this season. Davis could see time in September as the Pirates try to decide who deserves their two open outfield spots among Davis, Jose Bautista, Nate McLouth and Chris Duffy.

Andrew Miller, P, Detroit Tigers. Miller was widely considered the best player available in June's amateur draft, but his monetary demands dropped him to the sixth overall pick. This lanky southpaw has pitched well thus far and is guaranteed a September call in his contract. Although Miller has almost no chance of finding starts in September, he could provide quality innings in a long relief role. Plus, he could compete for a rotation spot as soon as next spring.

Hayden Penn, SP, Baltimore Orioles. Penn would have been pitching in the majors much earlier this season if not for an emergency appendectomy shortly after his promotion to Baltimore. His control was not ready for the jump from Double-A to the majors last season, but he has made major progress this year and continues to post about a strikeout per inning. His success relative to age at each level also shows that Penn, 21, could become an eventual ace. He should get a rotation spot in September and go on to help fantasy owners from there.

TSN
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby Philly Pride » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:15 pm

Havok1517 wrote:Alberto Callaspo, 2B, Arizona Diamondbacks. Callaspo has already had some short stints in the majors this season, so he is sure to see time in September. Acquired from the Angels in spring training, Callaspo is almost a sure thing as a regular in the majors. He is excellent defensively, has hit well above .300 in Triple-A this season and has incredible plate discipline. Although his power and speed are only average, they are hardly any worse than current Arizona second baseman Orlando Hudson. The Diamondbacks could look to move Hudson this offseason as a direct result of Callaspo, and he has the ability to help NL-only owners in average during September if given playing time.

Rajai Davis, OF, Pittsburgh Pirates. Does anyone actually think the Pirates know what they are doing with their current outfield situation? Of course Jason Bay is a fixture, but otherwise, the regulars for next season are anyone's guess. Enter Davis. He is a prototypical leadoff hitter, which means he has the ability to help owners with steals. He has decent contact ability and was hitting .283 with 45 steals at Triple-A Indianapolis this season. Davis could see time in September as the Pirates try to decide who deserves their two open outfield spots among Davis, Jose Bautista, Nate McLouth and Chris Duffy.

Andrew Miller, P, Detroit Tigers. Miller was widely considered the best player available in June's amateur draft, but his monetary demands dropped him to the sixth overall pick. This lanky southpaw has pitched well thus far and is guaranteed a September call in his contract. Although Miller has almost no chance of finding starts in September, he could provide quality innings in a long relief role. Plus, he could compete for a rotation spot as soon as next spring.

Hayden Penn, SP, Baltimore Orioles. Penn would have been pitching in the majors much earlier this season if not for an emergency appendectomy shortly after his promotion to Baltimore. His control was not ready for the jump from Double-A to the majors last season, but he has made major progress this year and continues to post about a strikeout per inning. His success relative to age at each level also shows that Penn, 21, could become an eventual ace. He should get a rotation spot in September and go on to help fantasy owners from there.

TSN

I think Penn could be good, but they might not use him since they're playing worthless games and want to save his arm.

EDIT: Miller's going to be called up tomorrow. Maroth is going to stay in the bullpen for the rest of the year, and I guess Miner is too. Assuming that Miller pitches well, the Tigers 1-2 young punch of Miller/Zumaya could be nasty.
Philly Pride
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers