Wavier Strategy ... not working - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Wavier Strategy ... not working

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Wavier Strategy ... not working

Postby woodson_28 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:16 am

I'm in a 10 man league and for some reason, one of our Pitching cats in Appearance. That's right, if your pitcher pitches, you get a point. I'm playing the guy in first, I'm in third, trying to get into the top 2 so that I can get a bye the first week of playoffs (which start in two weeks; I'm 5 GB = 12 G a week). The team in first place, team A, uses a strategy where he picks up any pitcher starting the next day and puts him into his lineup. This way he gets the App. He typically has 25 App a week, whereas the league average is about 15. It's a 10 man league, so there are decent pitchers in the FA and he typically comes out ahead (this doesn't screw up his ERA or whip too much).

I decided to try and beat him at his own game. We have no restriction on moves, so I decided to pick up every pitcher starting tomorrow and then drop them, placing them on the 2-day waviers, which would stop him from picking up anybody starting. However, when I drop the pitcher, it says they go to waviers, but they don't! What's up w/ that. Do you have to have the person for a certain length of time for them to go on waviers when you drop them? This is yahoo. If so, then that's gay, because it would have been a good strategy for me to use.
woodson_28
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Fade2White12 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:20 am

If you pick up the guy the day before, and then drop him that same day, they are no longer on your roster for the next day. You have to wait until the day they are starting in order to drop them.
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 40)

Postby Matthias » Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:53 am

Yahoo changed that just for the same reason you're talking about; to prevent people from churning over the waiver wire. You have to hold them for a day in order for them to actually be on waivers and free agents.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby raiders_umpire » Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:06 pm

Matthias wrote:Yahoo changed that just for the same reason you're talking about; to prevent people from churning over the waiver wire. You have to hold them for a day in order for them to actually be on waivers and free agents.

I think Yahoo started doing that last year with players that were just churned. If the players are not being used, then there should no reason why they should be put back on waivers.

Next year I would recommend putting a cap on the number of waiver wire pickups(or maybe just take away the App. category)
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby shmolex » Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:00 pm

what you can do is pick up the best pitchers starting 2 days from now, hold them until tomorrow, and then drop them tomorrow. Then, pick up the best pitchers who will be starting in 3 days tomorrow. Repeat the process each day.

You'll need some bench spots cleared obviously, but at least you might be able to put a dent in his ERA/WHIP.
shmolex
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:49 pm

You lost me at:

one of our Pitching cats in Appearance.

Terrible cat but now isn't the time to argue that. As was said before, Yahoo changed their rules to combat what you are doing. What you are doing isn't "beating him at his own game" at all. You are churning for no reason other than to lower the player pool for him. It seems like he is making moves to help his team.

What you can do is either pick up those players and then wait until the next day to drop them or, if you are up at 2:55 A.M. EST, you can pick up a bunch pf players, wait 5 minutes, and then drop them.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby pokerplaya » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:29 pm

Sometimes I just wonder why Yahoo even has that as a possible category....
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Return to Baseball Leftovers