Reliever Francisco Liriano? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Reliever Francisco Liriano?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Reliever Francisco Liriano?

Postby sox 06 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:45 am

Aug 24 Michael Gluskin, of Minnesota.Twins.MLB.com, reports Minnesota Twins SP Francisco Liriano (elbow) could return as a reliever if he is able to come back this season. Liriano had 12 appearances earlier this season as a reliever, going 1-0 with a 3.22 ERA and striking out 32 batters in 22 1/3 innings. He played catch again Wednesday, Aug. 23, and will continue to do so everyday.

From Yahoo!
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby sox 06 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:06 pm

I know Liriano is a great and I mean great starter but do you think he could be a lights out closer?
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby sixer03fan » Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:20 pm

yes. but he never will because he is a starter and because of a guy named joe nathan.
sixer03fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby sox 06 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:25 pm

sixer03fan wrote:yes. but he never will because he is a starter and because of a guy named joe nathan.

Oh yeah I know this will never happen I was just wondering if it might turn into a Papelbon in reverse kind of thing. Just a hypothetical question.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:33 pm

lefties arent always a good thing to be a closer. ryan is the only guy that is lights out as a LHP closer. remember arthur rhodes?
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Snakes Gould » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:02 pm

i think comparing rhodes and ryan is a terrible idea considering rhodes has been quite terrible in ANY role lately. he could be a dominant setup man but joe nathan is one of the very best closers in the game, hes not a 30 somethin reliever with a history of injury problems with a fast ball that tops out at 88 mph, most likely less now.... (keith foulke)...so i dont think liriano will be stealing the closer's role anytime soon.... BUT i dont like the sound of this. sorta seems like what they want to do with kerry wood and rich harden, 2 guys who are terribly injury prone..

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Ryno23 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:17 pm

If he is healthy enough to pitch, and assuming MIN stays in the hunt for a playoff spot, why would use him out of the bullpen and not as a starter? Their replacements haven't exactly lit the world on fire (although both Bonser and Garza looked good this week).
Ryno23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Mets1978 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:22 am

BitterDodgerFan wrote:lefties arent always a good thing to be a closer. ryan is the only guy that is lights out as a LHP closer. remember arthur rhodes?

Um, Billy Wagner?

oh yeah, and I sincerely hope Liriano makes some starts down the stretch.
Mets1978
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Injuries & Player Updates