Another Alex Gordon thread - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Another Alex Gordon thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Madison » Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:49 pm

Havok1517 wrote:BTW, using the pronoun "we" when refering to your favorite team or any team is not justified unless you are directly employed by the Royals. If you are I apologize, but I doubt that you are. A lot of people do it on here and it bothers me and rightly so.

Call me guilty there as well. I say "we" when discussing the Rangers even though I'm not any part of the organization other than being a fan.

One could argue that without the fans, the team folds up shop and moves to another location, so in fact using the term "we" is not really all that bad, since without fans there is no team.

Look at what the fans do. Take the Yankees or Boston and see how many tickets they sell, merchandise sales, etc. Always sold out as far as tickets go, and management spends money on players because the revenue is there. Take someone like Tampa Bay, or Florida, and see that management doesn't spend money on the team since fans are not in the stands (less revenue). Fans do have an effect on what happens with the team, so they really are a part of that.

Not worth arguing about, so I'll just say I'm guilty of referring to the Rangers as "we" sometimes, and I'm sure it's a habit that I probably won't bother trying to break. Sorry Havok. :-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby shortsavage » Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:44 pm

Madison wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:BTW, using the pronoun "we" when refering to your favorite team or any team is not justified unless you are directly employed by the Royals. If you are I apologize, but I doubt that you are. A lot of people do it on here and it bothers me and rightly so.

Call me guilty there as well. I say "we" when discussing the Rangers even though I'm not any part of the organization other than being a fan.

One could argue that without the fans, the team folds up shop and moves to another location, so in fact using the term "we" is not really all that bad, since without fans there is no team.

Look at what the fans do. Take the Yankees or Boston and see how many tickets they sell, merchandise sales, etc. Always sold out as far as tickets go, and management spends money on players because the revenue is there. Take someone like Tampa Bay, or Florida, and see that management doesn't spend money on the team since fans are not in the stands (less revenue). Fans do have an effect on what happens with the team, so they really are a part of that.

Not worth arguing about, so I'll just say I'm guilty of referring to the Rangers as "we" sometimes, and I'm sure it's a habit that I probably won't bother trying to break. Sorry Havok. :-D

Does this mean that Florida teams can't say we :-D ?
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby rmande09 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:17 pm

It's too bad my post was too expletive-laden because it was a darn good one explaining everyone's deep "love" for Havok.

Grudz is a great signing for the Royals. He's cheap, good, and the perfect clubhouse guy. He's a great guy on and off the field, works hard, plays the game the right way, he's a great role model for the young guys coming up through their system. Every clubhouse could use a veteran presence like Grudz, especially a team like the Royals. He's cheap and he performs well on the field - what's not to like?

The D'Rays should take some advice from the Royals and do the same - we all know they're going to need all the help they can get with guys like Upton and Young in their lineup.
C: Pierzynski
1B: Pujols
2B: Altuve
3B: Miggy
SS: HanRam
OF (x3): CarGo, M. Bourn, D. Jennings
UTIL (x2): E. Encarnacion, C. Hart
BN: Cuddyer, C. Ross, J. Montero

SP: Price, Gallardo, T. Hudson, Lester
RP: Chapman, Jansen, Rodney, Putz, Cishek, Bailey
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby FantasyGURU802 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:27 pm

shortsavage wrote:
Madison wrote:

Haha, guess not... :,-(
[b]Member of the SGMKL[/b]
[b]THE FANTASY GURU[/b]
FantasyGURU802
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby FantasyGURU802 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:43 pm

Why is this also in the Leftovers forum?
[b]Member of the SGMKL[/b]
[b]THE FANTASY GURU[/b]
FantasyGURU802
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby raiders_umpire » Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:49 pm

shortsavage wrote:
Madison wrote:

Yes we do. And I am pretty sure that I don't even have to tell you which MLB team that I root for. :-D
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:25 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:
shortsavage wrote:
Madison wrote:

Yes we do. And I am pretty sure that I don't even have to tell you which MLB team that I root for. :-D

I just think some information should be kept somewhat impartial to limit the biases a poster may have.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 122)

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:48 pm

davidmarver wrote:Grudzielanek's AVG, OBP, SLG, OPS, RC/G, GPA, and LD% have all gone down in each of the last three seasons. So, yes, he has shown decline.

And in this day-and-age, sure $4 million doesn't look like much, but this is an organization that can do a heck of a lot more with that four million, like bring in a decent arm, while letting youngsters have their shot at other positions.

Heck, Mike Piazza is only making $1 million this season. The bottom line is, an organization as pinched as the Royals shouldn't be spending $4 million on a .717 OPS 36-year old second-baseman.

Nuff' said about Grundz. Now, back to the minor league guys.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 122)

Postby master453 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:35 pm

gordon is getting ridiculous at AA. absolutely killing the ball lately. .374/10hr in august. .350/20hr since the break.

i think its pretty clear he's mastered wichita. come on royals move him up to AAA already. though its not going to happen i'd like to see him added to the 40man and in kc in sept, but i dont get letting him sit at AA all year...
master453
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Loveable Losers » Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:52 pm

master453 wrote:gordon is getting ridiculous at AA. absolutely killing the ball lately. .374/10hr in august. .350/20hr since the break.

i think its pretty clear he's mastered wichita. come on royals move him up to AAA already. though its not going to happen i'd like to see him added to the 40man and in kc in sept, but i dont get letting him sit at AA all year...

While I don't mind them taking their time with him this is definitely true. The only reason I can think of to keep him at AA is because they want to keep Wichita's team competitive. :)
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Minor League & College Baseball