100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Another Alex Gordon thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Another Alex Gordon thread

Postby Surfs up » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:17 pm

Just got this from Rototimes:
Alex Gordon (3B)
8/24: General manager Dayton Moore said that the Royals will not call up Alex Gordon in September, according to the official team website. If the Royals were to promote him, they would have to add him to their 40-man roster, which would start the clock on Gordon's major league service time.

I have him on my minor league reserve. I am actually hoping he doesn't start the season with the Royals.I can protect him as a minor leaguer at the start of the season. This would allow me to keep another one of my 2006 12 team AL only winning players. I am going to have trouble figuring out who to keep. I know nice problem. Anybody close to the Royals think he will start in the minors in 2007?
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 184)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby shortsavage » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:20 pm

The Royals have to find ways get fans to come out to the ballpark in order to maximize their already minuscule financial potential.

I would be surprised if they started Butler and Gordon in the minors next year, just from a business perspective.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby J35J » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:57 pm

shortsavage wrote:The Royals have to find ways get fans to come out to the ballpark in order to maximize their already minuscule financial potential.

I would be surprised if they started Butler and Gordon in the minors next year, just from a business perspective.

There have been talks back and forth on whether Gordon will start the year in AAA or the big league level next year, so I'm still not really sure what will happen here. I wouldn't mind if he had some time in AAA before he came up personally.

As for Butler, I'd be completely surprised if he saw MLB action before the all-star break next year.

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 361)

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:21 pm

shortsavage wrote:The Royals have to find ways get fans to come out to the ballpark in order to maximize their already minuscule financial potential.

I think signing the 36 year old Grundz to a assured 2 year 8 million dollar deal goes against that thinking. I think its a dumb signing considering KC still aren't going to compete in 2 years, have a small budget, and could have used that money elsewhere and gotten similar production from young and cheaper in-house talent.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 143)

Postby eazyb81 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:23 pm

Dayton Moore has stated that he wants prospects to come to the majors via the traditional way, i.e. A, AA, AAA, rather than jumping straight to the majors from A or AA.

I expect Gordon and Butler will start next season in AAA, and Gordon will get promoted to KC around June. I also expect Butler to stay in AAA all of next year until he gets a September callup.
eazyb81
College Coach
College Coach

Location: At Kauffman Stadium wearing a paper bag over my head.

Postby J35J » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:03 pm

Havok1517 wrote:

I think signing the 36 year old Grundz to a assured 2 year 8 million dollar deal goes against that thinking. I think its a dumb signing considering KC still aren't going to compete in 2 years, have a small budget, and could have used that money elsewhere and gotten similar production from young and cheaper in-house talent.

Hhmmm... I actually like the Grudz signing. Not only is he a good guy, solid clubhouse presense. But he is one of the best defensive 2B in all of baseball. Add that to a very professional .290+ avg hitter and you have a perfect guy for a younger, rebuilding team. I can't think of anyone better to have behind me on the mound than a gold glove potential secondbasemen, especially for any new young pitching talent we will be trying out for next year. And that..... "young and cheaper in-house talent" ...... well we don't have any at 2B..... or SS for that matter!!!!

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby PlayingWithFire » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:30 pm

Havok1517 wrote:

young-in house talent? Like Gotay? :-D
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:14 am

J35J wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:

Hhmmm... I actually like the Grudz signing. Not only is he a good guy, solid clubhouse presense. But he is one of the best defensive 2B in all of baseball. Add that to a very professional .290+ avg hitter and you have a perfect guy for a younger, rebuilding team. I can't think of anyone better to have behind me on the mound than a gold glove potential secondbasemen, especially for any new young pitching talent we will be trying out for next year. And that..... "young and cheaper in-house talent" ...... well we don't have any at 2B..... or SS for that matter!!!!

Jason

I think its a moronic signing on the Royals side and morst agree considering the resources and recent direction KC is facing. Before signing with KC, Grundz was asking for the same 2 year 8 million dollar deal. Except no one was crazy enough to sign the declining IF at that price. I still think Teahen's bat would make up for any defensive woes he might have. Also, I think German would be a suitable replacement with the price and age of Grudz. Grundz's glove is very good but not at that price while his offense is declining with age. His numbers have all gone down in the past 3 years (check out his OBP%). Aside from Vet leadership, that could be had at much cheaper costs, I see this contract as completly counter-productive to what the Royals really need. I could see a contending team like the Mets making a move like this, since they are contending and have the resources, to give him the assured 2 year deal without a team option is stupid. I predict a similar situation to Sweeney with Grundz. He'll probably get hurt during his 36-38 years and sit on the DL while collecting his paycheck (ala Bagwell). Maybe the Royals smarten up and trade him for some pitching but at that price and at that age its doubtful many suitors would come calling.

BTW, using the pronoun "we" when refering to your favorite team or any team is not justified unless you are directly employed by the Royals. If you are I apologize, but I doubt that you are. A lot of people do it on here and it bothers me and rightly so.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 143)

Postby eazyb81 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:05 am

Havok1517 wrote:
J35J wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:

Jason

I think its a moronic signing on the Royals side and morst agree considering the resources and recent direction KC is facing. Before signing with KC, Grundz was asking for the same 2 year 8 million dollar deal. Except no one was crazy enough to sign the declining IF at that price. I still think Teahen's bat would make up for any defensive woes he might have. Also, I think German would be a suitable replacement with the price and age of Grudz. Grundz's glove is very good but not at that price while his offense is declining with age. His numbers have all gone down in the past 3 years (check out his OBP%). Aside from Vet leadership, that could be had at much cheaper costs, I see this contract as completly counter-productive to what the Royals really need. I could see a contending team like the Mets making a move like this, since they are contending and have the resources, to give him the assured 2 year deal without a team option is stupid. I predict a similar situation to Sweeney with Grundz. He'll probably get hurt during his 36-38 years and sit on the DL while collecting his paycheck (ala Bagwell). Maybe the Royals smarten up and trade him for some pitching but at that price and at that age its doubtful many suitors would come calling.

BTW, using the pronoun "we" when refering to your favorite team or any team is not justified unless you are directly employed by the Royals. If you are I apologize, but I doubt that you are. A lot of people do it on here and it bothers me and rightly so.

Just a guess, but I don't think you watch many Royals games.

Grudz doesn't have offensive numbers that blow you away, but he is a solid all-around player. As already stated, he has provided excellent defense from the middle infield this year, something that is always helpful to a young pitching staff. He is a very consistent player, outside of his hitting swoon before the All-Star break. Also, from all accounts he is an excellent clubhouse leader, and is arguably more of a captain at this point that Mike Sweeney.

The downside to the deal is that his play could rapidly decline over the next year or two as he gets close to 40. However, since it isn't a very large deal, it won't kill the team. The upside is that he will be a solid all-around 2nd baseman and clubhouse leader over the next two years. We really don't have any prospects knocking down the door to become the starting 2nd baseman in KC, so the risk at this point is minimal.

Finally, do we really need the grammar police? It's a freakin message board, not an English test. You had no problem understanding what he was saying, you just wanted to point out an error to make yourself look intelligent.....and THAT bothers me.
eazyb81
College Coach
College Coach

Location: At Kauffman Stadium wearing a paper bag over my head.

Postby J35J » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:40 am

Havok1517 wrote:

LOL...... :-°

Thats fine if you don't agree. Personally I don't think Grudz is a guy to be too concerned about either way, especially not the type a guy to argue about on a message board.

We can just agree to disagree, thats fine.

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball