Bye Bye Pluto - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Bye Bye Pluto

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby brewcrew4you » Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:17 am

Calling our moon by it's scientific name isn't that surprising - it took us until around 1600 (1609?) when Galelio found 4 of the Jovian Moons. For most of History, our moon was the only one we knew of - why call it anything else?
brewcrew4you
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Coppermine » Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:29 am

brewcrew4you wrote:Calling our moon by it's scientific name isn't that surprising - it took us until around 1600 (1609?) when Galelio found 4 of the Jovian Moons. For most of History, our moon was the only one we knew of - why call it anything else?

"Galileo, Galileo, Galileo, FIGARO!"
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:20 am

Coppermine wrote:
brewcrew4you wrote:Calling our moon by it's scientific name isn't that surprising - it took us until around 1600 (1609?) when Galelio found 4 of the Jovian Moons. For most of History, our moon was the only one we knew of - why call it anything else?

Magnifico ;-D
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:18 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:
Coppermine wrote:

Magnifico ;-D

mama mia
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Madison » Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:08 pm

Coppermine wrote:
Madison wrote:
Coppermine wrote:
Coppermine wrote:
RugbyD wrote:
Coppermine wrote:This is slightly, but not completely, off topic... is Pluto really a planet?

Depends on who you ask. new wave thinking says no, but newnew wave thinking says there may be moons around Pluto.

I thought they recently discovered a "moon" around Pluto, but some scientists claim it can't even be classified a moon because they're like 30 miles in diameter.

Did you know that the scientific name for our moon is 'moon.' Real original you astronomer dorks.

My $0.02... I don't think Pluto should be a planet anymore, but can remain so only because of the condition which exists from "my very energetic mother just served us nine."

I mean, the whole thing's nothing without the pizzas.

This is from a thread posted Nov 7, 2005.

BUMP!

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... highlight=

Something that stuck out to me:

Did you know that the scientific name for our moon is 'moon.' Real original you astronomer dorks.

No different than calling a fly a fly. Genius at work right there in both cases. :-b ;-D

Yeah, but a fly isn't a fly... there are different kinds of flies, each with ridiculously difficult to pronounce scientific names; I can understand the naming conventions as a way of keeping the terminology universal.

For instance, all flies in science are actually called Diptera; the most common known as the House fly (Musca domestica).

Yeah, yeah, leave it to you to bring out the smart guy stuff :^ .

Lol. :-b

You're right of course, guess my joke was really that bad. !+)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Coppermine » Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:21 pm

Madison wrote:
Coppermine wrote:
Madison wrote:
Coppermine wrote:
Coppermine wrote:
RugbyD wrote:
Coppermine wrote:This is slightly, but not completely, off topic... is Pluto really a planet?

Depends on who you ask. new wave thinking says no, but newnew wave thinking says there may be moons around Pluto.

I thought they recently discovered a "moon" around Pluto, but some scientists claim it can't even be classified a moon because they're like 30 miles in diameter.

My $0.02... I don't think Pluto should be a planet anymore, but can remain so only because of the condition which exists from "my very energetic mother just served us nine."

I mean, the whole thing's nothing without the pizzas.

This is from a thread posted Nov 7, 2005.

BUMP!

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... highlight=

Something that stuck out to me:

No different than calling a fly a fly. Genius at work right there in both cases. :-b ;-D

Yeah, but a fly isn't a fly... there are different kinds of flies, each with ridiculously difficult to pronounce scientific names; I can understand the naming conventions as a way of keeping the terminology universal.

For instance, all flies in science are actually called Diptera; the most common known as the House fly (Musca domestica).

Yeah, yeah, leave it to you to bring out the smart guy stuff :^ .

Lol. :-b

You're right of course, guess my joke was really that bad. !+)

It's what I do :-]
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby mikewzz » Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:30 pm

I think Disney isn't going to be very happy about this. What is up with this, their excuse is to make the solar system smaller??!?!?!!! I find this stupid -_-;;, and somewhat entertaining lol.
mikewzz
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:32 pm

mikewzz wrote:I think Disney isn't going to be very happy about this. What is up with this, their excuse is to make the solar system smaller??!?!?!!! I find this stupid -_-;;, and somewhat entertaining lol.

Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Coppermine » Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:45 pm

mikewzz wrote:I think Disney isn't going to be very happy about this. What is up with this, their excuse is to make the solar system smaller??!?!?!!! I find this stupid -_-;;, and somewhat entertaining lol.

Well, I heard the actual "debate" on NPR yesterday. It sounded about as excited as C-SPAN 2 on a Tuesday afternoon. They discussed and debated what classifies a planet. It makes sense given the definition they gave. I guess the striking blow against pluto is that to be a planet,

1. The object must be in orbit around a star, but not be a star itself.
2. The object must be massive enough to be a sphere by its own gravitational force.
3. It must have cleared the neighborhood around its orbit.

Pluto fails to meet condition 3; that is, "clearing the neighborhood" means that bodies in and around its orbit either become part of it or disturbed to another orbit. Pluto shares the orbital path of Neptune... but the context is a little science-heavy.

In other words, Pluto is pretty small and pathetic. Time to rewrite the science books (this would be a good time for Kansas to start adding stuff about intelligent design).
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby acsguitar » Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:05 pm

This lady I work with asked if because it isn't a planet is it now a star.

yikes :-o
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk