Thome leaves game - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Thome leaves game

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Thome leaves game

Postby The Big Train » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:49 pm

Thome limped off the field in the second inning Wednesday night after rounding first on a ground-rule double. He has a strained left hamstring.
Image + Image = 762

"Trying to hit him was like trying to drink coffee with a fork." - Willie Stargell on Sandy Koufax
The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1104
Joined: 4 May 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: At GNC, lookin' for some flaxseed oil...

Postby absolut typical » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:08 pm

cbssportsline
Jim Thome left Wednesday's game at the Detroit Tigers after suffering a groin injury while running the bases after hitting a ground rule double in the second inning. He started to limp noticeably after rounding first base despite the fact the ball had already cleared the fence in left-center field. He was replaced by Tadahito Iguchi.
Analysis: Consider Iguchi day to day, but the injury looked to be serious as he limped off the field. He could either miss a game or two or land on the 15-day disabled list in a worst case scenario. We'll have more on his situation after he is evaluated.
absolut typical
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 65
Joined: 7 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Football

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:16 pm

great...i wait 2 weeks for yahoo to get rid of that annoying player note about his wrist/back problems so that i can trade him and now this! :-P
Image
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 6508
Joined: 18 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: City of Grigori

Postby Pstater71 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:42 am

That could be a big loss for the White Sox's wild card run!
Pstater71 Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 48
Joined: 7 Jul 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Altoona, Pa

Postby schmidty » Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:34 pm

Now it seems to have gone from day-to-day, to "at least through the weekend". From the AP:

DETROIT -- Jim Thome is expected to miss the Chicago White Sox's key weekend series with the Minnesota Twins because of a strained hamstring.

Thome was hurt during Wednesday night's win in Detroit and was not in the lineup for Thursday afternoon's series finale.

"It's about the same as it was last night," said Thome, who had ice and electrical stimulation on his leg before Thursday's game. "Hopefully, it will only be a few days."

White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen said the team will wait several days before considering putting Thome on the disabled list. Thome is hitting .294 with 36 homers and 91 RBI.

"We can play without him for three or four days -- we've done it before -- and then we can bring up some kids on Sept. 1," he said. "I don't think we are worrying about the DL with him right now. This happened in spring training, and he came back fast."

Paul Konerko started Thursday at designated hitter, with Ross Gload playing first base.


Well, this sucks. My only 1B backup is Chris Duncan and the Cards are scheduled to face lefties for 3 out the next 4 games :-P
schmidty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 1710
Joined: 6 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Big Train » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:37 pm

MLB.com

DETROIT -- Setting a timetable for a return to action following a hamstring strain stands as about the equivalent of setting a date for the White Sox to clinch a 2006 playoff spot. It only exists in theory until the moment actually comes around.

So Jim Thome's analysis before Thursday's series finale in Detroit of his own hamstring strain, hits about as accurately as medically possible.

"When I can hit and I can run, it's when I'll be out there," said Thome, who was out of action Thursday, after straining his left hamstring while running out a ground-rule double in the second inning of Wednesday's 7-5 victory.

"The bottom line is we are in a race here," Thome added. "The quicker I can get back, the better. That's how I'm going to approach it."

Thome said his leg already felt better Thursday, following treatment. White Sox athletic trainer Herm Schneider added that Thome had no problem sleeping last night and got out of bed and moved around Thursday morning with little problem.

If Thome takes a little bit longer stride, according to Schneider, the hamstring grabs him a little bit. But there's not much pain or discomfort with the injury.

"He's got a mild strain. It's low and those things usually have a tendency to resolve themselves very quick," Schneider said. "The higher [the strain] goes, it gets thicker and thicker and thicker and then if it goes under the cheek of your butt, it's really hard to treat it. It's hard to get at and treat."

"With the hamstring, you don't know if it was bad or really bad," Thome added. "I don't think it was a hamstring injury that was bad. So, that's a good sign. Hopefully, it will get better and react quickly to treatment."

Ross Gload replaced Thome in the lineup Thursday against Detroit southpaw Nate Robertson, playing first base and hitting eighth. Paul Konerko moved to the designated hitter's slot, while Joe Crede and his .353 average this season at Comerica moved up to fifth in the order.

Jermaine Dye hit third against Robertson and responded immediately with his career-high 36th home run in the first inning. There's a strong chance Thome will not play at all this weekend in the White Sox all-important three-game home set against the Twins, although Schneider added Thome could be available for pinch-hitting duty.

Tuesday's game against Tampa Bay seems to be a more likely return date for Thome. By then, he will have five days of rest including Monday, the first White Sox off-day after 24 games in 24 days. The White Sox don't plan to put Thome on the 15-day disabled list, a move that would prevent him from returning until Sept. 8.

The reduced severity of Thome's injury, coupled with rosters expanding on Sept. 1 and the prospect of a talented left-handed hitter such as Ryan Sweeney being added from Triple-A Charlotte, gives the team a little room to work.

"He's not horrible, but it might take a few days because it's Jimmy and he's a little older," Schneider said. "From talking to [general manager] Kenny [Williams] and them, it looks like risk to reward. ... We're just going to buy a few days and see if I can get him better within five days. We're still a week ahead of where we would be if we put him on the disabled list."

"It could be two, three days," White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen added. "The good news is it's the back leg, and it's down. It's not a big deal. It is a big deal, but he's not going to be out for a long time."

Not a long time is about as close as the White Sox or Thome could come to qualifying his absence from the lineup. Thome's best guess to that question is as soon as he's ready.

"Sure, if I could do it, I would want to be in there tomorrow," Thome said. "It's one of those things where you let it do its thing and continue to get the treatment and go from there.

"Just walking around, it's a little bit better but still about the same. To say when we will get back, I don't know. You have to be able to run, and right now I can't do that."
Image + Image = 762

"Trying to hit him was like trying to drink coffee with a fork." - Willie Stargell on Sandy Koufax
The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1104
Joined: 4 May 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: At GNC, lookin' for some flaxseed oil...

Postby iftn » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:29 am

schmidty wrote:Now it seems to have gone from day-to-day, to "at least through the weekend". From the AP:

DETROIT -- Jim Thome is expected to miss the Chicago White Sox's key weekend series with the Minnesota Twins because of a strained hamstring.

Thome was hurt during Wednesday night's win in Detroit and was not in the lineup for Thursday afternoon's series finale.

"It's about the same as it was last night," said Thome, who had ice and electrical stimulation on his leg before Thursday's game. "Hopefully, it will only be a few days."

White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen said the team will wait several days before considering putting Thome on the disabled list. Thome is hitting .294 with 36 homers and 91 RBI.

"We can play without him for three or four days -- we've done it before -- and then we can bring up some kids on Sept. 1," he said. "I don't think we are worrying about the DL with him right now. This happened in spring training, and he came back fast."

Paul Konerko started Thursday at designated hitter, with Ross Gload playing first base.


Well, this sucks. My only 1B backup is Chris Duncan and the Cards are scheduled to face lefties for 3 out the next 4 games :-P


crap i just lost thome and picked up duncan - does duncan not play vs lefties?
iftn
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 301
Joined: 14 Jun 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby schmidty » Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:38 pm

iftn wrote:crap i just lost thome and picked up duncan - does duncan not play vs lefties?


He didn't yesterday (just late-game pinch hitting appearance). It's righty today, then lefties for Sat and Sun (then by that time Thome might be back). As much as I'm liking Duncan, I don't think he fits the bill for a Thome back-up, since 1B is not a position you get away with a starter who's platooned (puts you in a relative hole to the other teams for counting stats, which 1B usually pile up on).
schmidty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 1710
Joined: 6 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:47 pm

schmidty wrote:
iftn wrote:crap i just lost thome and picked up duncan - does duncan not play vs lefties?


He didn't yesterday (just late-game pinch hitting appearance). It's righty today, then lefties for Sat and Sun (then by that time Thome might be back). As much as I'm liking Duncan, I don't think he fits the bill for a Thome back-up, since 1B is not a position you get away with a starter who's platooned (puts you in a relative hole to the other teams for counting stats, which 1B usually pile up on).


yea keeping my eye on sweeny in case thome misses more than the weekend. i have duncan as 1B too, and it sucks that he has to face lefties this weekend. he'll probably get a pinch at bat or two at the very least though.
Image
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 6508
Joined: 18 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: City of Grigori


Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Wednesday, Aug. 20
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Texas at Miami
(12:40 pm)
indoors
Seattle at Philadelphia
(1:05 pm)
Toronto at Milwaukee
(2:10 pm)
NY Mets at Oakland
(3:35 pm)
Houston at NY Yankees
(7:05 pm)
Atlanta at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
Arizona at Washington
(7:05 pm)
Detroit at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
LA Angels at Boston
(7:10 pm)
Cincinnati at St. Louis
(7:15 pm)
San Francisco at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Baltimore at Chi White Sox
(8:10 pm)
Cleveland at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Kansas City at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
San Diego at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact