Grady Sizemore overrated? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Grady Sizemore overrated?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby byfrcp » Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:48 pm

Ugh this is dumb. Why not just compare him to Jermaine Dye, who was a FA pickup in a lot of leagues this year. Eric Byrne is no Grady Sizemore, not this year not ever. While this is Grady's 2nd season in the bigs and he's improved immensly. When he gets a better knowledge of the strike zone and cuts down on his strikeouts he's going to be a top 24 player IMO.
byfrcp
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:52 pm

KronJon wrote:Yahoo Ranks:

Sizemore - 15th
Byrnes - 27th

:-?

in my yahoo league sizemore is #61. or are you saying sizemore is the #15 outfielder?
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Zito is God » Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:37 pm

Iconoclastic wrote:
teddy ballgame wrote:
Iconoclastic wrote:That's crazy talk son. Did he stiff you on an autograph or something? A future 30-30 guy with tons of runs and a .320 BA? And a weakass comparison like Eric Byrnes? Lol I know you can do better than that.

Did you look at the numbers? How is it a weak comparison? Sizemore has way more runs...other than that they're about even.

I don't think I would have any interest in drafting Sizemore in the 4th round or around there. He may get you 5 categories, but he's not like a Beltran or Wells who will put up top numbers in most of the categories.

It's a weak comparison not only because of your numbers, which Sizemore is .20 higher in BA and 30 higher in runs, making him a much better player, but because one is a 24 year old highly touted prospect in a good lineup who made the MLB at a young age and hit the ground running and has done nothing to dispel the notion that he will fulfill his 30-30 projections whereas the other is a old journeyman who gets by with scrappy hustle. Anybody can come up with these guys AFTER they have a surprise year (David Dellucci, Mark DeRosa, etc) but can you expect a Eric Byrnes to put up 25-25 with anywhere near the confidence for a stud like Sizemore?

I agree that Sizemore isn't worth anywhere as much as Carlos Beltran, and maybe not quite as much as a Vernon Wells, but those guys aren't going in the 4th round either.

Wow, can we please please have a money league next year where you let me take Beltran fourth round?! It will be hard for Beltran to get out of the 1st round, let alone go later then the fourth, what in the world are you talking about?!

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby cordscords » Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:00 pm

Zito is God wrote:
Iconoclastic wrote:
teddy ballgame wrote:
Iconoclastic wrote:That's crazy talk son. Did he stiff you on an autograph or something? A future 30-30 guy with tons of runs and a .320 BA? And a weakass comparison like Eric Byrnes? Lol I know you can do better than that.

Did you look at the numbers? How is it a weak comparison? Sizemore has way more runs...other than that they're about even.

I don't think I would have any interest in drafting Sizemore in the 4th round or around there. He may get you 5 categories, but he's not like a Beltran or Wells who will put up top numbers in most of the categories.

It's a weak comparison not only because of your numbers, which Sizemore is .20 higher in BA and 30 higher in runs, making him a much better player, but because one is a 24 year old highly touted prospect in a good lineup who made the MLB at a young age and hit the ground running and has done nothing to dispel the notion that he will fulfill his 30-30 projections whereas the other is a old journeyman who gets by with scrappy hustle. Anybody can come up with these guys AFTER they have a surprise year (David Dellucci, Mark DeRosa, etc) but can you expect a Eric Byrnes to put up 25-25 with anywhere near the confidence for a stud like Sizemore?

I agree that Sizemore isn't worth anywhere as much as Carlos Beltran, and maybe not quite as much as a Vernon Wells, but those guys aren't going in the 4th round either.

Wow, can we please please have a money league next year where you let me take Beltran fourth round?! It will be hard for Beltran to get out of the 1st round, let alone go later then the fourth, what in the world are you talking about?!

He's saying he agrees that Sizemore isnt in the same class as those guys yet, but he certainly has the ability to leap in there as soon as next year. And if you can get Sizemore in the 4th instead of grabbing Beltran in the first, then you did yourself pretty good.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 20)

Postby Kingctb27 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:44 pm

Lets put it this way, if a guy like Damon is avil, I'm taking him over Grady any day of ther week.
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion

Postby mrkrab2003 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:22 pm

overrated. looks like many of you have a little mancrush on him
mrkrab2003
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Yoda » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:23 pm

I just don't get how a 23 yo 20-20, .300 player is considered overrated. What type of leagues do you guys play in?

He is a young Bobby Abreu and his power will only get better.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby bleach168 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:40 pm

I had him pegged as overrated pre-season.

I was wrong.

In ESPN drafts, he was drafted #46 overall.
In ESPN player rater, he ranks #47.

Not spectacular but a very solid pick.
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)

Postby The Big Stick » Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:33 pm

I love to have anyone who rather have Byrnes or shall I say draft Byrnes over Sizemore drafting right before I pick. It's insane that we are even talking about this. 8-o
Signature by: RedWoodTree824
Minor League Mentor

Postby cordscords » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:05 pm

kingctb27 wrote:Lets put it this way, if a guy like Damon is avil, I'm taking him over Grady any day of ther week.

Don't really see how it's that close.

They should both be extremely tight in AVG, RBI, SB, and R.

Damon is averaging 23.4 HR/AB when his career average is 44.3 HR/AB.

Sizemore has improved his HR/AB to 27.9, better than the 29.1 he posted in '05.

I'd be willing to bet Sizemore is better than Damon next year.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 20)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers