Grady Sizemore overrated? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Grady Sizemore overrated?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Grady Sizemore overrated?

Postby thomasps3 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:26 am

Ok, so my query is how good can Sizemore become? It seems the hype doesn't quite equal the stats/ How many people drafted him in the 3rd round as their first OFer? His 20/20 production seems ot be well balanced, but my argument is the true value this year. I submit that in the 4th-6th round is a more appropriate round for his selection. A second OF spot is ideal for him. Here is my reasoning, based on actual performance this year:
Sizemore: .294 18HR/18 SB/99 Rs/56 RBI
good, but not great, and definitely not worth a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Eric Byrnes:
.275 19/HR/17 SBs/63Rs/53 RBI

Now I am not arguing the fact that Sizemore is definitely a better long term keeper, but when a WW pick up in Byrnes is similar, we have to examine the actual production for a 3-4 round pick this year.
Thoughts?
thomasps3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Giving BIG UPS to Teddy BallGame for the AWESOME SIG

Postby tianyi86 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:29 am

I still think sizemore is a solid late 3rd round pick. If you look closer at the sizemore and byrnes comparison, sizemore wins out pretty big with 20 points in BA and 36 runs scored.
tianyi86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Yoda » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:31 am

answer to the question is no
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby J35J » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:46 am

Lets see, going back to my '05 rankings/predictions I had Sizemore at....

25 hr
85 rbi
110 runs
25 sb

which I had him #13 for OF.

and hes sitting at....
18HR
56 RBI
99 Rs
18 SB

doesn't look like he will reach the rbi totals I had for him, thanks to the team sucking this year. But everything else is pretty much in line with where I had him. Factor in that he is only 23-24 yrs old and I think he is pretty much right where he should be as far as expectations. He has actually slowed way down since July, hes only hit 3 hr since the all star break and he had 15 before. I'd say he's a keeper!

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 358)

Postby DSpec » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:47 am

Sizemore might be too early for 3rd round but after that he's a solid pick. Sizemore still has room for improvement but Byrnes doesn't.
DSpec
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Iconoclastic » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:38 am

That's crazy talk son. Did he stiff you on an autograph or something? A future 30-30 guy with tons of runs and a .320 BA? And a weakass comparison like Eric Byrnes? Lol I know you can do better than that.
[b]Bold Predictions:[/b]

Grady Sizemore will have more value than Jason Bay regardless of draft position

Aramis Ramirez in 155 G will hit over .300 40 HR 110 RBIs

Brian McCann will have more value than Jorge Posada regardless of draft position
Iconoclastic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:59 am

The 4th round is about right for Sizemore imo. 20/20 at his age with Hafner and Vmart hitting near him. He is definitely going to score a lot of runs due to his place in the lineup. I think his RBIs will be around 70 or so until Crowe leads off and Sizemore moves to 2nd or 3rd in the lineup in a few years. I think that is when his value will shoot up, and we will probably see a few more homers out of him as well as he is only 24.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby rainman23 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:14 pm

He looked all-world a few weeks ago. He's struggling a little bit right now, but I think he's shown us a lot in the last year and a half. That said, there's no shame in being a 4th round pick, and that could be where he falls next year. Obviously the next 5 or 6 weeks will tell that story.
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Junkie Cosmonaut » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:14 pm

J35J wrote:Lets see, going back to my '05 rankings/predictions I had Sizemore at....

25 hr
85 rbi
110 runs
25 sb

and hes sitting at....
18HR
56 RBI
99 Rs
18 SB

doesn't look like he will reach the rbi totals I had for him, thanks to the team sucking this year. But everything else is pretty much in line with where I had him. Factor in that he is only 23-24 yrs old and I think he is pretty much right where he should be as far as expectations. He has actually slowed way down since July, hes only hit 3 hr since the all star break and he had 15 before. I'd say he's a keeper!

Jason

I wouldn't blame the lack of numbers on the team sucking. They've scored the 4th most runs in baseball this year.
Junkie Cosmonaut
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby J35J » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:15 pm

Junkie Cosmonaut wrote:
J35J wrote:Lets see, going back to my '05 rankings/predictions I had Sizemore at....

25 hr
85 rbi
110 runs
25 sb

and hes sitting at....
18HR
56 RBI
99 Rs
18 SB

Jason

I wouldn't blame the lack of numbers on the team sucking. They've scored the 4th most runs in baseball this year.

Nice catch, I guess the main reason for lower RBI totals is just the fact that he is a leadoff hitter.

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 358)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers