Fantasy Baseball has turned BORING! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Fantasy Baseball has turned BORING!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:17 pm

I think it's absolutely normal for someone to get disenchanted, or more or less, bored with fantasy baseball at this time of year. It's August and you have a clear picture that you're out of the running in your roto or H2H league for that matter, for instance. With fantasy football right around the corner, and for some folks heading back to school while some folks are working 50-60 hour work weeks, there's a high degree of burnout that can result.

I'm more disenchanted with fantasy football actually, rather than fantasy baseball, and so it's the complete opposite with me. I have my reasons, but I find the marathon of fantasy baseball more satisfying than with fantasy football, which feels like a sprint every Sunday. Fantasy baseball requires a great deal of daily commitment whereas in football, it's a weekend activity, as glorious as taking in a college or NFL game. Personally, I'm pretty much behind in my preparation for football getting ready for a handful of H2H playoffs, which is just as fun as prognosticating rankings and player projections in Spring Training.

Besides, I consider myself to be more of a die-hard soccer fan than football or even baseball fan and am more hyped with the Premiership in England already a match or two in and La Liga in Spain this weekend. On the side, I have 4 Premiership fantasy teams and 2 with La Liga. Fantasy soccer, if you haven't tried it, is like fantasy football, but it's a long grind given you have 38 gameweeks, as opposed to 17 gameweeks in football. It's the best of both worlds really. ;-D

Am I feeling burned out by fantasy baseball? Sure. Am I bored? Not by a longshot. B-)
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 623)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby gfantasy » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:38 pm

I think there's a big misconception. Fantasy football is for ANY football fan where fantasy baseball is NOT for any baseball fan. It takes time, dedication and perseverance. I say quit now - the other owners in the league are probably upset with you already.
gfantasy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Web Supporter

Postby FantasyGURU802 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:39 pm

My activity does go down by this time of year, because of preparing for football drafts. But I still check in on my team AT LEAST twice a week. Where as it's normally about 5 or 6 times a week. But twice a week is still more active than half the managers in fantasy baseball...
[b]Member of the SGMKL[/b]
[b]THE FANTASY GURU[/b]
FantasyGURU802
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby go_jays_go » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:34 pm

Madison wrote:Give fantasy football a shot. Basically it's only 1 day a week for 17 weeks, so 17 days total. Part of why it's so popular is because it's so short.

Fantasy baseball on the other hand, is a grind that some of us really enjoy. ;-D

Agreed. It's even better if you're winning.

(and Mad, you won't be winning for long.) }:-)
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby perlick29 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:02 pm

There's definitelty burnout from fbb. I experience it, but it isn't the only thing I feel. There is frustration, anxiety, sadness, shock, pure joy and all the other emotions that come with playing this. Personally I dont like fantasy football much because in baseball it gives you some time to kill during the week by checking your team and making moves.

This is a high part of the year for me playing fantasy. We have by now separated the haves from thr have-nots in keeper roto so teams make trades that are sometimes wild and controversial. For those fighting to make money in leagues like me, we're doing everything it takes to win or place in the money. My particular league allows only 40 moves and I've burnt 31 so I now need to over analyze EVERY move while trying to hold my spot on 3rd place and possibly move up. Every start every at bat is important the rest of the way.

Of coure I didn't even get into the H2H situation where teams are still alive in the playoffs and then anything can happen.

I find my burnout to happen right around July after the All-Star break because there vacations and other distraction. It's just that you have to kick it back into gear because this next month and a half is going to be very exciting.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Fantasy Baseball has turned BORING!

Postby JTWood » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:23 pm

Bosy Billups wrote:The first three months, I was addicted.

Now, it's flat-out boring!

What Gives?

It's probably the roto. Try H2H. Much more exciting.

:-D
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby nikku88 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:51 pm

cordscords wrote:Are you mad because your out of contention?

What? Nobody on the cafe ever finishes lower than 1st. I've seen polls. ;-)
My apologies. I have a nephew named Anfernee, and I know how mad he gets when I call him Anthony. Almost as mad as I get when I think about the fact that my sister named him Anfernee.
nikku88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Madison » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:58 am

go_jays_go wrote:(and Mad, you won't be winning for long.) }:-)

Time will tell, but after one of the worst drafts of my life, I'm happy to have a solid shot at the title. B-)

JTWood wrote:It's probably the roto. Try H2H. Much more exciting.

Yeah, like all 10 people at a Texas Hold 'Em table going all in preflop without looking at their cards first. Exciting. ;-D

Edited to fix BBCode.
Last edited by Madison on Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby raiders_umpire » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:04 am

nikku88 wrote:
cordscords wrote:Are you mad because your out of contention?

What? Nobody on the cafe ever finishes lower than 1st. I've seen polls. ;-)

Do your poll this year and make sure that I vote in it, and I promise you that you will have 2 bottom of the pack finishes and one middle of the pack finish. :-[
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby JTWood » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:21 pm

Madison wrote:
JTWood wrote:It's probably the roto. Try H2H. Much more exciting.

Yeah, like all 10 people at a Texas Hold 'Em table going all in preflop without looking at their cards first. Exciting. ;-D

What?!? You're actually comparing roto to Hold 'Em? Like you're going to be dealt a Jason Bay on the turn that suddenly turns your team around?

I was just joking around when I made the comment earlier (given the 10-page thread we had last week), but seriously, you can't think that analogy is actually valid... can you?

:-o
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers