Should the Red Sox Fire Francona?

Yes
7%
No
93%

Total votes : 15

Fire Francona?

Postby blankman » Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:53 am

Wanted to get your opinions on this. He's made several questionable decisions this series and I'm interested on your thoughts.

If yes, who would/should they hire?
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby teddy ballgame » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:52 am

When they fired Grady Little, I wanted them to go after Jim Leyland. I wanted a guy who had won the WS before and knew what he was doing. Francona won the WS anyways, but I wanted him gone after '04 even with the WS win. He's not a good manager at all. The things he did in this series is nothing abnormal...they're usually just not on the national scale.

I have no clue who's out there to replace him, but for christ sakes they have to be better than Terry.

Even with that said, this debacle is more of the front office's fault than his, but there's plenty of blame for both over the year.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby soxfan364 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:07 pm

This is far more the front office's fault, not Tito's. Not that Tito is a great manager.
soxfan364
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 10)

Postby blankman » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:54 pm

Then should they fire Theo?

I agree that this mostly his fault, but what do you guys think?
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Mercury Rising » Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:25 pm

As much as I don't like Terry, the blame should be placed on the front office for a horrid middle bullpen and questionable moves at the trading deadline. The Sox are lucky that Papelbon has been a saving grace or we would be looking up at both the Yankees and Blue Jays like experts have predicted at the beginning of the year.
Mercury Rising
College Coach
College Coach

Postby sox 06 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:20 pm

It's more the front office than Terry. Terry has nothing to work with. He has Johnson and Snyder and Rudy Seanz :-P, I don't think the greatest manager in the world could win with that.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Sox

Postby hoopitup21212 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:59 pm

sox 06 wrote:It's more the front office than Terry. Terry has nothing to work with. He has Johnson and Snyder and Rudy Seanz :-P, I don't think the greatest manager in the world could win with that.

Agreed and no terry shouldn’t get fired the team is playing bad right now it’s not like they were all season. They were on top of the division most of the year and just because they aren’t winning right now we shouldn’t jump to conclusions on firing anyone just yet.
SGMKL
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=163
"When Chuck Norris jumps in an ocean he doesnt get wet, the water gets chuck."
hoopitup21212
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby blankman » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:34 pm

sox 06 wrote:It's more the front office than Terry. Terry has nothing to work with. He has Johnson and Snyder and Rudy Seanz :-P, I don't think the greatest manager in the world could win with that.

Joe Torre did.

Remember last year when Mussina, Wang, Wright, Brown and Pavano were all gone for extensive periods of time? And Wright and Brown weren't even good at any point.

Redding
Darrel May
Al Leiter
Nomo
Embree
Groom
Graman
Franklin
Sturtze...

The list goes on. That staff was every bit a mess as Boston's this year.

Chacon and Small worked out though. Boston hasn't found anyone yet.

And in case of a misunderstanding, I'm not saying Francona should be getting it done. That is a ton to expect from what he has.

I'm actually surprised by the poll thus far. So I guess the new question becomes, if they don't make the playoffs, should he be fired? Should Theo be fired?
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby mikewzz » Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:23 pm

Nah, i think he's a great manager, if anyone should be fired, they should fire the GM. Look at the yankees, got craig wilson, bobby abreu, and Cory Liddle. (Note: i am not a yankees fan at all, as a matter of fact, i don't like them) The redsox needed to make a move at the trade deadline, preferably a pitcher, i know i know. Pitchers are really expensive these days. But your spending 150 million dollars to get 2nd place??? i don't think so. All i'm saying is, the sox need to wake up. This 5 game series was a clear indication of the sox not having decent pitching.
mikewzz
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Chicago RedSox » Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:18 pm

I don't think there's any reason to fire Theo or Terry. Terry for all the reasons mentioned above, he doesn't have the right tools to get the job done, plus inuries have been a bigger problem this year then usual.
And I don't think Theo's main concern isn't winning the championship this year. I read an article on boston.com where they mentioned an interview with Theo before game 4 of that brutal series with the yankees, and he basically said the sox big plan is to win/dominate in years to come, and winning this year does not take priority over that. And if that is in fact the case (because I'm pretty sure I've heard GM's say stuff like this before) then I'm ok with the way things are turning out.
Chicago RedSox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Boston Red Sox