Mets acquire Mota from Indians - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to New York Mets

Mets acquire Mota from Indians

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Mets acquire Mota from Indians

Postby Porehussla12 » Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:30 pm

NEW YORK -- Hoping to bolster their bullpen for September and beyond, the Mets acquired right-handed reliever Guillermo Mota from the Cleveland Indians on Sunday in exchange for a player to be named later.
The 33-year-old Mota had struggled this season, posting a 1-3 record with a 6.21 ERA in 34 appearances for Cleveland. He has not pitched since July 24 and was designated for assignment on Aug. 11.

"Our scouts say the velocity is good, he's healthy," Mets general manager Omar Minaya said. "Hopefully a change of scenery and change of leagues will help him produce better results."

A 6-foot-4, 210-pound reliever, Mota is expected to join the Mets in time for Tuesday's game against the St. Louis Cardinals, at which time Minaya said the Mets would make a corresponding roster move.

"To me, the bullpen is something that's very critical, and it's an area you should always protect yourself," Minaya said. "Being able to get Mota gives us another arm in the bullpen that can hopefully protect leads."

Minaya said he felt confident that members of the Mets' coaching staff, particularly pitching coach Rick Peterson and bullpen coach Guy Conti, might be able to help Mota's performance.

In recent years, Mota was one of the National League's better setup men for the Los Angeles Dodgers, posting a 1.97 ERA in 76 appearances in 2003 and a 2.14 mark in 52 appearances in 2004 before being traded to the Florida Marlins.

Minaya cited the impact that Conti and Peterson had on right-handed reliever Jorge Julio, who was traded to the Arizona Diamondbacks in May for starter Orlando Hernandez. After struggling to open the season, Julio has recorded 15 saves in 18 opportunities for Arizona, with a 3.31 ERA.

"We feel comfortable with our coaches and our staff to be able to turn Guillermo Mota around," Minaya said.

The Mets also received cash considerations in the transaction to help cover most of Mota's remaining salary. Mota was due to make $3 million for the 2006 season.

Minaya said he consulted with catcher Paul Lo Duca, a batterymate of Mota's in Los Angeles and Florida, for feedback on the transaction.

"We think it's a move that has some potential upside and is not going to cost us that much," Minaya said.

Bryan Hoch is a contributor to MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Porehussla12
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby gfantasy » Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:44 pm

Heilman in the rotation?
gfantasy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Web Supporter

Postby Rirruto » Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:46 pm

gfantasy wrote:Heilman in the rotation?

Doubtful. They can pick from Bannister, Pelfrey, Ollie Perez, or Oliver before they go to Heilman. Omar and Willie clearly don't have any intentions to use Heilman in the rotation or it would have already have happened.
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby gfantasy » Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:51 pm

Obviously, Willie HATES Heilman. Or maybe he wasnt convinced by his 1 hitter last season...

Bring back Bobby V!

gfantasy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Web Supporter

Postby Porehussla12 » Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:55 pm

We need to keep Heilman in the bullpen now. Especially with the way he's pitching. I don't trust Mota(who has a 6 ERA) and I think Hernandez is done.

Heilman had a 1 hitter, but he was average/bad the rest of the time and had a very high ERA as a starter.

I am praying that Oliver Perez gains his velocity from 88 back to 95-96. If he does, and is able to remain focused, we have ourself a young ace. I know I am getting ahead of myself, but his last start looked great. I hope he can pitch like he did two years ago when he was great.
Porehussla12
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby gfantasy » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:41 pm

if he can get his ERA under 7 i'd take it
gfantasy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Web Supporter

Postby Amazinz » Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:48 pm

I don't think Roberto Hernandez is done. Mota is probably done but you never know what'll happen when the Horse Whisperer starts doing his thing. B-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby gfantasy » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:20 pm

I disagree. Hernandez is good. Mota will take the 7th. HEILMAN FOR SP!
gfantasy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Web Supporter

Return to New York Mets