Tigers acquire Neifi Perez!!!!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Detroit Tigers

Tigers acquire Neifi Perez!!!!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Tigers acquire Neifi Perez!!!!!

Postby mcqfesijiba » Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:40 pm

http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060820&content_id=1620190&vkey=news_det&fext=.jsp&c_id=det
DETROIT -- The Tigers addressed their need for a utility infielder by acquiring Neifi Perez from the Chicago Cubs in exchange for Minor League catcher Chris Robinson on Sunday.

The 33-year-old Perez, who has played shortstop and second base throughout his career, was hitting .254 with two home runs and 24 RBIs in 87 games for Chicago.

Perez will likely replace Ramon Santiago as Detroit's utility infielder.

"He's a legitimate everyday guy and an outstanding utility player," said Tigers general manager Dave Dombrowski.

The Tigers' starting second baseman, Placido Polanco, is out four to six weeks with a separated shoulder, and Omar Infante has stepped in and played well in Polanco's absence.

"It's no secret that when you're doing as well as they are and you lose an outstanding player like Polanco, we all know Dave Dombrowski was going to try to act quickly," said Cubs general manager Jim Hendry.

"He also fits when Polanco comes back, because he's a switch-hitter," said Dombrowski, who added that Perez should arrive in Detroit on Monday.

The 11-season veteran has also played with the Colorado Rockies, Kansas City Royals and San Francisco Giants.

"Neifi did an outstanding job for us from the time we picked him up from the Giants," Hendry said. "He didn't get off to a great start this year, but [he] has played well the last couple months."

Robinson, who was hitting .286 with one home run and 47 RBIs at Class A Lakeland, will move on to Class A Daytona. Dombrowski said that Robinson projected as a backup catcher at the Major League level.
Wow. I think this team actually acquired the one player in major league baseball who might NOT be better than Ramon Santiago. Yes, Neifi has been a mostly everyday player since 1998, but not without some of the worst offensive numbers in baseball. Period. This IMO is a lateral move at best. I guess we at least won't notice this move too much assuming he is taking Santiago's role.

I'll say this once. Neifi had better damn well not start over Infante. Ok, I had to get that out of my system.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dannomyte » Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:47 pm

Hooray, The Tigers offensive problems are solved!!

I'm not sure I would call this a lateral move but it's definitely not anything that's going to make or break the season. I'm just glad to see anyone other than Santiago as a back-up 2B/SS. Now if this clown comes in and starts over Infante I'm going to lose it!

Kind of suprised they gave up Chris Robinson for him.
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby moochman » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:06 am

I think the Tigers might be caught up in their own success. This trade does very little, but they gave up little to get him. Still they got the short side of this trade. As I watched the Tigers blow another game to the Rangers I noticed that the Rangers had traded for Stairs and then traded their set-up man for stud OF Carlos Lee. A true feared bat type that the Tigers don't have. And we make a block buster for Perez.

DD may have sealed our fate by not making a big move.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mcqfesijiba » Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:23 pm

Something I didn't know about this trade at first that actually makes me hate it more now is that Neifi Perez is signed through next year at $2.5 million. :-t

I've heard that die hard Cubs fans were exited though! Not that they got Chris Robinson, but that they got rid of Neifi!
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ThatDude » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:07 pm

mcqfesijiba wrote:I've heard that die hard Cubs fans were exited though! Not that they got Chris Robinson, but that they got rid of Neifi!

You are 100% correct.

I don't really know much about Robinson, but I do know we've already got a real good hitting C in Fox and a pretty good defensive C in Soto. Catcher was probably our best stocked positional area in the minors (not that that's saying much), so I'm not sure how well Robinson will fit in with what we have.

But to get rid of Neifi, I would have been happy with a bucket of BP balls and a box of Big League Chew.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Dannomyte » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:27 pm

ThatDude wrote:
mcqfesijiba wrote:I've heard that die hard Cubs fans were exited though! Not that they got Chris Robinson, but that they got rid of Neifi!

You are 100% correct.

I don't really know much about Robinson, but I do know we've already got a real good hitting C in Fox and a pretty good defensive C in Soto. Catcher was probably our best stocked positional area in the minors (not that that's saying much), so I'm not sure how well Robinson will fit in with what we have.

But to get rid of Neifi, I would have been happy with a bucket of BP balls and a box of Big League Chew.

Sorry but the value of Big League Chew is sky high in the Tigers dugout these days!
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mcqfesijiba » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:23 am

Well, looks like Neifi might be starting for the Tigers most nights ahead of Infante. Neifi went o-4 last night and grounded into a double play. Guess what? That's what to expect on an average night from him. Too bad. Infante is the better hitter and the better defensive player.

Leyland says something to the effect of "He brings a lot of energy". Well Neifi's going to need that energy to run out all those weak ground balls and popups he likes to hit. Leyland seems to remember the Neifi from Colorado who had his stats inflated by Coors Field. Well, I think he'll quickly find out that Neifi just hasn't been the same player since leaving Colorado.

I'll be busy hoping Neifi Perez proves me wrong, since I've been bashing him since BEFORE the Tigers acquired him. I'm not very optimistic about that though...
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Detroit Tigers