Is Santana the clear cut Cy Young winner? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is Santana the clear cut Cy Young winner?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby tinfoilxtouch » Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:34 pm

mweir145 wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:To me, if anyone other than Johan wins it, it's a sham.

Even if Halladay runs the table and puts up 22 wins or something like that with a sub 3 ERA near Santana's you'd consider it a sham? :-?

Sure if the award was given today I'd think you'd give it to Santana. But there isn't as wide a margin between the two as many of you seem to be suggesting.

In all honestly, I think that Johan, Verlander, or Halladay winning would all be totally fair and logical scenerios. At this point, any of those three could finish the season with more wins and a better ERA than the other two. Of course Verlander doesn't have the name recognition to draw as many votes, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't be mentioned here.
tinfoilxtouch
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RynMan » Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:45 pm

As of right now I agree.....but we've seen how much stock baseball writers put into meaningless statistics.

Hootie: Thanks for doing all the work in this thread - thought I was going to have to bring out the old Quality of Batters Faced. Completely agree with everything you said.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby DirtyKash » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:52 pm

Santana has pulled away in the race! This guy is filthy!
DirtyKash
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mweir145 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:57 pm

DirtyKash wrote:Santana has pulled away in the race! This guy is filthy!

Yeah, at the moment Santana has superior numbers and more wins than Halladay. He should win barring a collapse in these last weeks.

In defense of Doc, his last 3 starts have involved a CG loss, a start in which his outfielder batted a ball into the stands with his hands for a HR that lost the game, and a game where he left leading in the 8th only to have the bullpen blow one. :-/
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby dipset » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:07 pm

Santana has more strikeouts, which means its harder to hit. If its harder to hit, he is a better pitcher which = Cy Young!! ;-D
dipset
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby davidmarver » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:22 pm

mweir145 wrote:In defense of Doc, his last 3 starts have involved a CG loss, a start in which his outfielder batted a ball into the stands with his hands for a HR that lost the game, and a game where he left leading in the 8th only to have the bullpen blow one. :-/

That is pretty tough, but, by the same token, Halladay has been pretty blessed this year. Halladay has had the 14th best run support in MLB, 6.20, getting the best run support of any Blue Jay. Santana has had the 57th best run support in MLB, 4.90, getting the worst run support of any Twin.

Johan has 20 quality starts, Halladay has 17. Both have 0 tough losses.

Batters have an OPS of .619 against Johan, 79% of their regular OPS of .777. Batters have an OPS of .653 against Halladay, or 86% of their regular OPS of .763.

Johan is the clear winner to me right now.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby The Big Stick » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:23 pm

Those of you who know me, knows I love Doc but it's Santana.
Signature by: RedWoodTree824
Minor League Mentor

Postby go_jays_go » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:33 pm

I think they just nailed the coffin shut.

I was a Halladay believer but clearly it's Johan "The Cy" Santana.
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby mweir145 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:38 pm

davidmarver wrote:
mweir145 wrote:In defense of Doc, his last 3 starts have involved a CG loss, a start in which his outfielder batted a ball into the stands with his hands for a HR that lost the game, and a game where he left leading in the 8th only to have the bullpen blow one. :-/

That is pretty tough, but, by the same token, Halladay has been pretty blessed this year. Halladay has had the 14th best run support in MLB, 6.20, getting the best run support of any Blue Jay. Santana has had the 57th best run support in MLB, 4.90, getting the worst run support of any Twin.

Johan has 20 quality starts, Halladay has 17. Both have 0 tough losses.

Batters have an OPS of .619 against Johan, 79% of their regular OPS of .777. Batters have an OPS of .653 against Halladay, or 86% of their regular OPS of .763.

Johan is the clear winner to me right now.

Oh, I do know all this, and I would agree Johan has been been better.

It just doesn't feel good to watch your favourite pitcher have this kind of luck 3 starts in succession.

BTW, are you sure you have that tough losses stat right? He pitched a 2 ER CG a week and a half ago and lost 2-0.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby davidmarver » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:44 pm

mweir145 wrote:BTW, are you sure you have that tough losses stat right? He pitched a 2 ER CG a week and a half ago and lost 2-0.

Wow...ESPN's statistics are wrong.

Their tough loss glossary reads:
ESPN Glossary wrote:Losses in games started that are quality starts.

Halladay did pitch a two run complete game loss...that should be a tough loss, but it's not listed on ESPN's stat page. I went though and counted Johan's stats, just to make sure, and he has two losses in quality starts. Just another reason why you shouldn't use ESPN's stat page. especially for runs created among left-fielders
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers