In need of some technical support... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

In need of some technical support...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

In need of some technical support...

Postby da1chipo » Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:17 pm

I just got a new Toshiba 42HM66 tv, and a new time warner hd-dvr. I've been trying to program the cable box remote to control power and volume for the tv, but I've been following all the programming steps and it doesn't work. I've done the step where you search for a code automatically, and I've programmed the remote to use that code. However, instead of working right, when I press the TV power button on the remote, it makes the volume go down, like I'm pressing the volume down button. The volume buttons don't do anything. I guess the TV just isn't interpreting the signal from the remote correctly.

Can anyone tell me what's going on, and if you know, how to fix it?
da1chipo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Award-Winning Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:58 pm

Is there a chance that the remote is faulty or that your TV is too new for that remote?? Maybe the code isn't in there for your TV but it is partially recognizing the code.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby da1chipo » Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:01 pm

I used the old remote for a few days and it did the same thing. Then I got the new box and a new remote and nothing changed. So pretty much the remote being faulty is ruled out.
da1chipo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:05 pm

The remote that came with the TV works with it, though??
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby da1chipo » Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:18 pm

Yeah, it's not really a problem, but I'd like to be able not to have to use two remotes for basic tv watching.
da1chipo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby suppasonic » Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:46 pm

Simple solution:

Slap it on the side of the box with your hand.
Dodgers World Champs 2012

GO FORESTERS!!!!!!
suppasonic
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Coppermine » Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:43 pm

Try blowing in it...

Remember old Nintendo cartridges? Everyone had their own method for getting them to work. I had some games, like the original Bases Loaded, that required about 10 blow-and-trys.

I had a friend who swore by the method of not specifically blowing, but more like making the cartridge smell is breath (it was weird). He said that the warmer air from doing that is what worked best.

I had another friend who always put his t-shirt over the bottom of the cartridge before blowing; this is tried and true as well because the moisture from your breath can damage the game.

Then there were people with patterns; hard blow, hard blow, soft blow, soft blow... it was unusual but we all did it.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby teddy ballgame » Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:46 pm

Coppermine wrote:Try blowing in it...

Remember old Nintendo cartridges? Everyone had their own method for getting them to work. I had some games, like the original Bases Loaded, that required about 10 blow-and-trys.

I had a friend who swore by the method of not specifically blowing, but more like making the cartridge smell is breath (it was weird). He said that the warmer air from doing that is what worked best.

I had another friend who always put his t-shirt over the bottom of the cartridge before blowing; this is tried and true as well because the moisture from your breath can damage the game.

Then there were people with patterns; hard blow, hard blow, soft blow, soft blow... it was unusual but we all did it.

I remember that. :-D :-b
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:53 pm

loved the old blow trick...i have an old Atari 2200 (or one of them) that i hook up now and again but i left in in the garage for a whole year and i think the summer/winter cycle fried it becasue it only works half the time or just freezes up in the middle of Jungle Hunt
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:54 pm

I liked the put the cartirdige in a box and bury it under a full moon under and oak tree.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Return to General Talk