Tom Glavine (Merged) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Tom Glavine (Merged)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Tom Glavine (Merged)

Postby pigskinnhorsehide » Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:12 am

Any Mets fans know anything more about this?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14437275/
pigskinnhorsehide
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:15 pm

Strangely this story was "broken" early yesterday morning on the ESPN forums by a guy claiming to be Glavine's brother-in-law. At the time I blew it off but obviously the guy knew something.

I don't really have anything to add that isn't out there already. There will be a lot of speculation until Thursay? and the media seems to be taking this from the worst case scenario angle. Hopefully it's not worst case.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

how bad is glavine hurt?

Postby iftn » Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:15 pm

i could pick him up...hes on waivers now.
iftn
College Coach
College Coach

Postby sixer03fan » Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:27 pm

were gonna find out later, but he could have a blood clot and be lost for the rest of the year.
sixer03fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby gfantasy » Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:38 pm

FYI...

Minaya said that he feels like Glavine won't miss any time. I hope he's right...
gfantasy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Web Supporter

Postby Amazinz » Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:55 pm

A little OT but it was in Newsday today that the Mets confirmed that they were picking up Glavine's 2007 option. Seems like strange timing.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jruiss01 » Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:15 pm

It doesn't sound too prmising for Glavine. I listened to the press conference on WFAN this afternoon before the game. He had something like this happen to him in 1990 but it turned out to be nothing. They said they did some tests and they got positive results back (for what I don't know). If it is a clot then he'll probably have surgery and be back on the field in a week or two. But some think it could be a career threatening even life threatening injury. I think he'll be fine. Same thing happened to David Cone.
jruiss01
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby gfantasy » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:39 pm

I guess all we can do at this point is hope for the best. I dont even want to attempt to make out our rotation if the playoffs started tomomorrow...
gfantasy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Web Supporter

Postby chinst » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:40 am

jruiss01 wrote:It doesn't sound too prmising for Glavine. I listened to the press conference on WFAN this afternoon before the game. He had something like this happen to him in 1990 but it turned out to be nothing. They said they did some tests and they got positive results back (for what I don't know). If it is a clot then he'll probably have surgery and be back on the field in a week or two. But some think it could be a career threatening even life threatening injury. I think he'll be fine. Same thing happened to David Cone.

Fortunately this is untrue. Cone was diagnosed with an aneurysm in his arm in 1996 and was on the disabled list for the majority of the year. As far as Glavine goes, they have already ruled out an aneurysm.
chinst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Amazinz » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:09 am

ESPN wrote:A source told The New York Post that an angiogram performed on Glavine on Monday showed that he doesn't need surgery. The source didn't tell the newspaper what the test found, but said Glavine's problem is expected to be treated with medication and the lefty could be pitching for the Mets again next week.

LINK
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Return to Injuries & Player Updates