100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Andrew Miller???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby markj11 » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:08 pm

bojang0301 wrote:
markj11 wrote:
Dannomyte wrote:Leyland says calling up rookie Miller is no gimmick

"Miller's the guy I wanted," Leyland said. "I don't want anyone taking the attitude that he's the No. 1 pick and he was coming up in September. We're calling him up before September because we think he's the guy. He's not coming up here on a pass."

"I talked to numerous people in the organization," president/general manager Dave Dombrowski said, "and everybody has said that Miller has thrown the ball in an outstanding fashion. They think he can help us right now, and he's in a position where they think he can handle it from a mental perspective. And so we just thought it would be a move that would make sense for us to get another left-hander in the bullpen."

"I'm going to use him," Leyland said. "I can promise you that. You'll definitely see him in the Yankees series."

http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/NASApp/ml ... p&c_id=det

They called him up a few days before Sept. contract call up to try to prove that it's not b/c the contract.

Well... I'd say it's obviously not because of his contract then. You don't open a spot like that when your in the middle of a playoff race, especially the first one in 15 or so years, to a kid because of a contract stipulation... especially one that takes place in Sept. and not August. One last point, against the Yankees.

I meant to show him that they weren't calling him up just because it is in his contract. Gives him confidence that he really belongs.
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby shortsavage » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:24 pm

Has anyone else been wondering if the Tigers - knowing he could be a good LOOGY - offered the September callup suggestion to Miller? This stretegy could have been used to quiet other demands.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby bojang0301 » Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:48 pm

shortsavage wrote:Has anyone else been wondering if the Tigers - knowing he could be a good LOOGY - offered the September callup suggestion to Miller? This stretegy could have been used to quiet other demands.
Might have, but Leyland doesn't usually BS around and wouldn't have brought up if he didn't think he was ready. I guess you could be right though... knowing that they were going to bring him up anyway they added the stipulation in the contract to calm other demands.
bojang0301
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Previous

Return to Minor League & College Baseball