Andrew Miller??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Andrew Miller???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Dannomyte » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:08 am

Leyland says calling up rookie Miller is no gimmick

"Miller's the guy I wanted," Leyland said. "I don't want anyone taking the attitude that he's the No. 1 pick and he was coming up in September. We're calling him up before September because we think he's the guy. He's not coming up here on a pass."

"I talked to numerous people in the organization," president/general manager Dave Dombrowski said, "and everybody has said that Miller has thrown the ball in an outstanding fashion. They think he can help us right now, and he's in a position where they think he can handle it from a mental perspective. And so we just thought it would be a move that would make sense for us to get another left-hander in the bullpen."

"I'm going to use him," Leyland said. "I can promise you that. You'll definitely see him in the Yankees series."

http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/NASApp/ml ... p&c_id=det
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby raiders_umpire » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:19 am

Dannomyte wrote:Leyland says calling up rookie Miller is no gimmick

"Miller's the guy I wanted," Leyland said. "I don't want anyone taking the attitude that he's the No. 1 pick and he was coming up in September. We're calling him up before September because we think he's the guy. He's not coming up here on a pass."

"I talked to numerous people in the organization," president/general manager Dave Dombrowski said, "and everybody has said that Miller has thrown the ball in an outstanding fashion. They think he can help us right now, and he's in a position where they think he can handle it from a mental perspective. And so we just thought it would be a move that would make sense for us to get another left-hander in the bullpen."

"I'm going to use him," Leyland said. "I can promise you that. You'll definitely see him in the Yankees series."

Very interesting. I can't wait to see the Tarheel verse the Yankees. Miller and Zumaya would make a awesome 7th and 8th inning combo, if Miller is throwing strikes.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby shortsavage » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:40 pm

Andrew Miller could easily go on to become one of the best pitchers that the game of baseball has ever seen.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby mcqfesijiba » Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:29 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:

Very interesting. I can't wait to see the Tarheel verse the Yankees. Miller and Zumaya would make a awesome 7th and 8th inning combo, if Miller is throwing strikes.
Except that I think for now they will probably use him in low pressure situations, ie. the second LOOGY. But we won't know for sure until we actually see how they use him.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dannomyte » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:51 pm

Tigers' Miller pitches hitless inning in big league debut

NEW YORK (AP) — Andrew Miller's major league debut was close to flawless, pretty much like his ever-so-brief minor league career.

Detroit's top draft pick pitched a hitless eighth inning as the Tigers lost to the New York Yankees 2-0 in the opener of Wednesday's day-night doubleheader.

"It was a rush. I've got so much adrenaline going, I can't really tell you what I was thinking," Miller said. "My heart is still racing."

Just 21 years old and only three months removed from college ball, the 6-foot-6 left-hander retired Melky Cabrera on a lineout to right, then hit Craig Wilson with a pitch. Johnny Damon hit into a forceout, and Derek Jeter grounded out.

Miller's parents, who live in Gainsville, Fla., were on hand.

"It was pretty cool," he said. "At Yankee Stadium, with all the history and everything. It's such an awesome place."

He was taken with the sixth pick of the draft in June, and helped North Carolina reach the championship round of the College World Series, where the Tar Heels lost to Oregon State.

After signing with the Tigers on Aug. 4, he pitched three times at Class-A Lakeland, striking out nine in five innings with one walk and two hits allowed.

After Damon's forceout, Detroit manager Jim Leyland visited him on the mound.

"I thought he had himself together. When I went out to talk to him, he rattled off the signs right away." Leyland said. "I thought he handled himself well. I sure like what I saw."

Miller's 17-pitch outing against the Yankees impressed Damon.

"He's going to be around for a while," Damon said.

Detroit had Miller get loose in the bullpen in the fifth inning.

"When I warmed up the first time, I was throwing everything with everything I had, and that wasn't working out too well for me," he said. "The next time, I concentrated on slowing everything down, throwing everything at 60 to 70 percent. I don't think I was actually doing that, but mentally that's basically what I was thinking."

http://www.mlive.com/newsflash/michigan ... wsmichigan
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Galt » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:41 am

Galt
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hayseed » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:56 am

thanks, thats awesome.

looked like he was throwing mainly 94-95 with those fastballs, and i saw one hit 97. looked very good. im pleased.
hayseed
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby raiders_umpire » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:33 am

Miller looked very good yesterday verse the Yankees. It will be interesting to see just how the Tigers use him the last few weeks of the season, especially with the Twins and White Sox gaining a little ground on them right now. Will Leyland have enough confidence in him to put him in there with the game and possible playoff spot on the line in the last week of the year?
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby markj11 » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:07 am

They called him up a few days before Sept. contract call up to try to prove that it's not b/c the contract.
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bojang0301 » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:13 am

markj11 wrote:

They called him up a few days before Sept. contract call up to try to prove that it's not b/c the contract.

Well... I'd say it's obviously not because of his contract then. You don't open a spot like that when your in the middle of a playoff race, especially the first one in 15 or so years, to a kid because of a contract stipulation... especially one that takes place in Sept. and not August. One last point, against the Yankees.
bojang0301
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Minor League & College Baseball