Andrew Miller??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Andrew Miller???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby rmande09 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:47 am

I do not believe Miller will turn into an ace working at that velocity, either. Which is, I guess, where the argument turns.

Forbes would be biased if I asked him if Miller could become an ace; of course he would say "yes." But all I asked was about Miller's velocity, and he said he relied mainly on a four-seam fastball for the majority of the season and rarely threw a two-seamer anyways - he'd use the cutter instead.

Every time I saw Miller in person this year, he sat around 94-96. When I saw him in the CWS, he was 94-96. Actual scouting reports (not online articles, actual reports scout's fill out) had him 94-96. I did not see Miller in the beginning (or the ACC tournament), where it seems he was throwing two-seamers at 88-92, as you said, and as these reports confirm. The only times I saw Miller was in the middle of the season and the CWS.

Anyways, since this is about him becoming an "ace," think about this. If you're any kind of coach or development director, and you have a tall lefty who can bring his four-seam from 93-96, topping at 98, or a two-seam from 88-92, which do you think they're going to want him to throw? I have a feeling they're going to tell Miller to work on that four-seamer, and work on him keeping it down in the zone, which is when he gets into trouble and possibly why there would be days he would turn to his two-seamer. If he can throw that four-seamer where he wants, it's a dominant plus-plus pitch. If he can throw the two-seamer where he wants, it's a slightly-above average pitch. That, ability to throw the slider to both sides of the plate, and his change are things I would assume they're going to work on with Miller. Considering he is where he is, I have a feeling he'll probably learn a few things and learn to keep that fastball down in the zone. Like I said earlier, his biggest worry is developing an average change that he can throw and being able to put his slider on both sides of the plate. The fastball control will come with work.

Oh, and last thing. Your point is taken. I appreciate you providing links to actual articles discussing this. Though a few are from the same game, it does prove there were times when Miller went to his two-seamer rather than his four-seamer. I apologize; it was tough for me to actually acknowledge that before when I had a.) seen him, and b.) seen and heard reports completely contradicting what you were claiming.
C: Pierzynski
1B: Pujols
2B: Altuve
3B: Miggy
SS: HanRam
OF (x3): CarGo, M. Bourn, D. Jennings
UTIL (x2): E. Encarnacion, C. Hart
BN: Cuddyer, C. Ross, J. Montero

SP: Price, Gallardo, T. Hudson, Lester
RP: Chapman, Jansen, Rodney, Putz, Cishek, Bailey
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rmande09 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:48 am

shortsavage wrote:At least I know I'm not the only one who gets into it with rmande09. There are quite a few people with fire in their bellies here. I like it!

Was this necessary?

rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby shortsavage » Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:53 pm

To the statement above: I was just saying how I like all the butting of heads that goes on here. It's like we're competing to see who knows more. And in the process both parties and most readers usually end up learning more.

As far as Andrew Miller goes, perhaps he works a different game plan against different teams. He can throw in the high 90s and he is coming off a great junior year in college. I feel like he is an potential ace until proven otherwise.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby rmande09 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:11 pm

My bad SS, I knew what you meant I was just a little grumpy. I had just woken up when I made the post. It's so odd not working, I end up getting up at 10:30 in the morning... It makes my whole day feel useless.

rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby shortsavage » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:18 pm

rmande09 wrote:My bad SS, I knew what you meant I was just a little grumpy. I had just woken up when I made the post. It's so odd not working, I end up getting up at 10:30 in the morning... It makes my whole day feel useless.

Around the Minors is on mlb radio five days a week at noon EST. Living on the West Coast, that's a pretty easy target wakeup time for me. P.S. I was a "guest" at the tail end of Around the Minors today.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby J35J » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:21 pm

shortsavage wrote:
rmande09 wrote:My bad SS, I knew what you meant I was just a little grumpy. I had just woken up when I made the post. It's so odd not working, I end up getting up at 10:30 in the morning... It makes my whole day feel useless.

Around the Minors is on mlb radio five days a week at noon EST. Living on the West Coast, that's a pretty easy target wakeup time for me. P.S. I was a "guest" at the tail end of Around the Minors today.

Ohhh, thats kind of a scary thought!! ;-7

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 363)

Postby shortsavage » Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:35 pm

You're better than that Jason. Hehe, don't jump down to my level ;-D .
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby J35J » Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:36 pm

Haha, just pulling your chain a little. !+)
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 363)

Postby Dannomyte » Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:53 am

Andrew Miller made it in to his 2nd game last night pitching 2 innings this time. Here is how it shook out.

Dunedin Top 6th

Pitcher Change: Andrew Miller replaces Dallas Trahern.
Carlo Cota called out on strikes.
Robinzon Diaz called out on strikes.
Ron Davenport strikes out swinging.

Dunedin Top 7th

Eric Nielsen singles on a ground ball to right fielder Garth McKinney.
Josh Kreuzer grounds into double play, third baseman Miguel Linares to second baseman Juan Francia to first baseman Jeff Larish. Eric Nielsen out at 2nd.
Christian Snavely walks.
Eric Arnold strikes out swinging

2 IP 1 H 1 BB 4 K
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Havok1517 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:59 pm

The Tigers will call up left-hander Andrew Miller and outfielder Alexis Gomez prior to Tuesday's game against the Yankees.

Miller, the sixth overall pick in the 2006 draft, has made just three appearances as a pro, throwing five scoreless innings for Lakeland, but the Tigers want to try him in relief now. It looks like the club might even include him on the playoff roster with a strong showing next month. Aug. 27 - 6:29 pm et rotoworld
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 134)

PreviousNext

Return to Minor League & College Baseball