Big Dynasty Trade Offer with two top prospects - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Big Dynasty Trade Offer with two top prospects

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Big Dynasty Trade Offer with two top prospects

Postby shortsavage » Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:52 pm

Do you think that in terms of dynasty league value, Jeremy Hermida, Jay Bruce and Yovanni Gallardo = David Ortiz?
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rmande09 » Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:28 pm

Not even close. Why? Well, none of those guys have proven anything. Bruce is at A+. Hermida has been less-than-great this year and it's really unclear how much fantasy value he'll bring to the table - he's one of those guys who got a lot of value in the rankings because of his defense and his attitude. Gallardo is in the midst of an absolute breakout season, but is still probably 18-22. He's the 6th or so ranked pitching prospect, and still doesn't project to be more than a #2. For Ortiz, a top 5 fantasy player, you should expect a top 15-20 fantasy player, and then two top prospects like the guys you have been offered.
C: Pierzynski
1B: Pujols
2B: Altuve
3B: Miggy
SS: HanRam
OF (x3): CarGo, M. Bourn, D. Jennings
UTIL (x2): E. Encarnacion, C. Hart
BN: Cuddyer, C. Ross, J. Montero

SP: Price, Gallardo, T. Hudson, Lester
RP: Chapman, Jansen, Rodney, Putz, Cishek, Bailey
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby raiders_umpire » Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:36 pm

I would have a tough time trading Ortiz for Delmon Young and Alex Gordon, but I know I would pass on a offer of Hermida, Bruce and Gallardo. You better leave that one alone unless you are one of those types that is always looking to the future.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby shortsavage » Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:55 pm

Hummmm, I guess I didn't give you guys enough background. The guy with Ortiz has Bonds and Alou in his outfield. His team isn't going to be competitive for the next two years. Our league has 16-teams and 30-man rosters. The depth is almost like in an AL or NL only league, but for both leagues.

Most of the owners in our league think this is even and good for the team with Ortiz? You guys seem to think totally differently. What gives?

How about Hermida, Andrew Miller, and Jay Bruce? Is this even close?
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby rmande09 » Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:25 pm

No. Like I said, fantasy-wise, I would want a top 15 player and then two of those prospects (preferably Bruce and Gallardo/Miller) for a top 4 fantasy player. Keep in mind, a .300 average along with 50 homers aren't easy to come by, and remember that he hits behind one of the best hitters in baseball and the lineup is loaded with high-OBP guys, which means tons of RBI-ops. I think if you're going to trade a proven in Ortiz, you need a proven back as well as some young, young talent.

rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby shortsavage » Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:06 am

rmande09 wrote:No. Like I said, fantasy-wise, I would want a top 15 player and then two of those prospects (preferably Bruce and Gallardo/Miller) for a top 4 fantasy player. Keep in mind, a .300 average along with 50 homers aren't easy to come by, and remember that he hits behind one of the best hitters in baseball and the lineup is loaded with high-OBP guys, which means tons of RBI-ops. I think if you're going to trade a proven in Ortiz, you need a proven back as well as some young, young talent.

I don't agree with you. And Ortiz isn't a .300 hitter anymore - career .283 too.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby shortsavage » Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:34 am

I ended up getting David Ortiz for Jeremy Hermida, Jay Bruce, Andrew Miller and Fernando Martinez.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby rmande09 » Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:01 am

SS, it's cool that you came here asking for an opinion and all, but why did you even bother? Was there a reason? That deal is not good for you. At all.

First, Ortiz just came off two consecutive years hitting .300, and a week ago, he was at .292. Based on an early season struggle (if you want to call it that) when he was at .260 for about two weeks, I'd say he's doing just fine. He also didn't hit 40 homers per until he started hitting .300, so you can throw that "career average BS" right out the window for Ortiz. He's only 30 years old.

Instead, you end up getting Hermida, a corner OF who will probably hit .300-20-8 in his prime. Well, that's pretty fantastic, you could probably pick that up off your waiver wire right now. Then you got Bruce, who looks like he could be a stud, but is only at A-ball right now. Still at LEAST two years away. Then you have Miller, which was a good pull, because he COULD BE a top fantasy ace. And Fernando Martinez, a 17 year old... And we all know the stories on 17 year olds. For every success, there is a hundred failures.

That is not a good deal, and don't let anyone fool you into thinking it was.

rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby raiders_umpire » Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:40 am

rmande09 wrote:SS, it's cool that you came here asking for an opinion and all, but why did you even bother? Was there a reason? That deal is not good for you. At all.

:-?
I think you need to read his post again. He got Ortiz for those players, so I think he made a heckuva deal.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby shortsavage » Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:38 pm

shortsavage wrote:I ended up getting David Ortiz for Jeremy Hermida, Jay Bruce, Andrew Miller and Fernando Martinez.

With 16 teams and 30-man rosters where you keep everyone, this isn't as much of a steal as you guys may think it was.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball