Ever to to a college far away from you? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Ever to to a college far away from you?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ever to to a college far away from you?

Postby Zito is God » Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:04 am

How did you manage to move there? Get all your stuff over there? Did you do a visit since it was so far? How did you manage to get into oriantation from far away? Did you have to spend a good deal of money just on the trips before going to the school?

The deal is that if I get rejected to all my reach schools I'll likely be going to the University of Kansas. I have never been to the state, or even close to it for that matter. My parents are in CA, and my stuff (and me) are in WI right now. I don't own a car either (as of now anyway) so (again, as of now) I cannot simply pack stuff up and drive over there when the time comes. On top of that I am not wasting $300+ just to visit a school (Either in plane tickets or in gas money).

Ok, you got the scenario, now answer the questions above! :)
Image

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 4169
Joined: 11 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Secretly advising Cashman.

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:13 am

i know you can rent a u-haul from your own state and leave it in the state youre driving to.
Image
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 3757
Joined: 16 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Throwing rocks at The Cubby Bear.

Postby Phatferd » Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:01 am

The Miner Part 2 wrote:i know you can rent a u-haul from your own state and leave it in the state youre driving to.


For quite a good deal of money...

I got extremely lucky, which I know you don't want to hear. I just asked everyone I know if they had things to give to me that they no longer wanted and I ended up getting my couches, fridge, washer/dryer, microwave, plates...everything taken care of.

As for moving I moved 5 hours away, which seems like across the country to me. You just have to get through the first couple of months. Ask people at the school (message boards, facebook, etc..) and hear their stories and find out what kind of people go to that school and determine if you'd fit in. If you can't get there before you make a decision just do a crapload of research online.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4058
Joined: 6 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Highway 10

Postby Big Pimpin » Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:36 am

I lucked out because I just took recruiting trips (paid for by the schools) to the colleges I was interested in. As far as getting my stuff there, we rented a UHaul trailer, hooked it to my dad's truck and drove there. I am originally from WA but went to Arizona, so it was like a 24 hour drive. Good stuff.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 13716
(Past Year: 10)
Joined: 20 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Building a metric. And being ignorable and stupid.

Postby acsguitar » Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:20 am

Have you ever been to Kansas?

eek

I hope you like nothing
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 26722
Joined: 7 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Back in General Talk WOOO!!!

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:10 pm

To answer your questions, no to all. :-b For the longest time when I was growing up, I either wanted to get into Notre Dame or Michigan (visited both college towns), but then after a visitation to MIT, I wanted to stay home in LA. :-b B-)
Image

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21947
(Past Year: 670)
Joined: 3 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Downloading rice

Postby suppasonic » Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:29 pm

Well before you ask those questions you have to ask yourself these:

Is look of a campus something I care about?
What about nightlife?
Do I want to live near a major city?

If UniKansas is the only college you get into, then you dont have to answer any questions, you just go.

But if Kansas is one of a couple you were thinking about, I would seriously consider paying the cash and either fly there or drive there to see it. Perhaps you do it after you get in but havent sent in a letter of intent yet.

As for getting your stuff there, you should be mainly focused on getting clothes and personal items. Things like couches, TV, microwave, etc. etc. you can all get in the city you live in. Check craigslist, thrift stores, etc.

My parents simply shipped the clothes in boxes to the city. The college you go to will almost certainly have something like that available to students like you.


PS: Are you a senior in HS starting to apply? Or are you applying for the spring semester? Or have you already applyed?
Dodgers World Champs 2012

GO FORESTERS!!!!!!
suppasonic
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 1321
Joined: 8 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Over thurr.

Postby Fireball Express » Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:32 pm

I was in a similar, but not exact situation.
Once I knew my address I had my stuff shipped to me. A lot of stuff I bought there too. The rest of my belongings I just left at my folks house.

Will you be living in a dorm or off campus housing? If you are living in a dorm you may be able to contact someone at the school and have the school post office hold your packages until you arrive.

Talk to someone at the school and they may be able to advise you.

Kansas huh? It may take some getting used to. You'll be different though and should have no problem getting some tail.
Image
Fireball Express
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2516
Joined: 17 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Basking in the Sunshine

Postby Zito is God » Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:19 pm

suppasonic wrote:Well before you ask those questions you have to ask yourself these:

Is look of a campus something I care about?
What about nightlife?
Do I want to live near a major city?

If UniKansas is the only college you get into, then you dont have to answer any questions, you just go.

But if Kansas is one of a couple you were thinking about, I would seriously consider paying the cash and either fly there or drive there to see it. Perhaps you do it after you get in but havent sent in a letter of intent yet.

As for getting your stuff there, you should be mainly focused on getting clothes and personal items. Things like couches, TV, microwave, etc. etc. you can all get in the city you live in. Check craigslist, thrift stores, etc.

My parents simply shipped the clothes in boxes to the city. The college you go to will almost certainly have something like that available to students like you.


PS: Are you a senior in HS starting to apply? Or are you applying for the spring semester? Or have you already applyed?


I am actually a transfer student and will be applying in december after I have the credits to be considered a transfer (I had unofficial envaluations in good standing from kentucky, kansas, Iowa, and Pacific).

I never thought of contacting the school and just shipping stuff there, certainly would make everything easier.


As for acs, I live in freaking Madison WI so Kansas can't be worse. The reason that Wisconsin people are alcoholics is because there is absolutely nothing else to do here but drink!
Image

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 4169
Joined: 11 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Secretly advising Cashman.

Postby acsguitar » Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:17 pm

Zito is God wrote:
suppasonic wrote:Well before you ask those questions you have to ask yourself these:

Is look of a campus something I care about?
What about nightlife?
Do I want to live near a major city?

If UniKansas is the only college you get into, then you dont have to answer any questions, you just go.

But if Kansas is one of a couple you were thinking about, I would seriously consider paying the cash and either fly there or drive there to see it. Perhaps you do it after you get in but havent sent in a letter of intent yet.

As for getting your stuff there, you should be mainly focused on getting clothes and personal items. Things like couches, TV, microwave, etc. etc. you can all get in the city you live in. Check craigslist, thrift stores, etc.

My parents simply shipped the clothes in boxes to the city. The college you go to will almost certainly have something like that available to students like you.


PS: Are you a senior in HS starting to apply? Or are you applying for the spring semester? Or have you already applyed?


I am actually a transfer student and will be applying in december after I have the credits to be considered a transfer (I had unofficial envaluations in good standing from kentucky, kansas, Iowa, and Pacific).

I never thought of contacting the school and just shipping stuff there, certainly would make everything easier.


As for acs, I live in freaking Madison WI so Kansas can't be worse. The reason that Wisconsin people are alcoholics is because there is absolutely nothing else to do here but drink!


Dude no offense to kansas but good lord its nothing but fields. no hills no mountains. Fields.

And heat and bugs.

Go to school on the beach or in the mountains.. ;-D

I think tavish lives in kansas that should tell you a lot :-D
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 26722
Joined: 7 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Back in General Talk WOOO!!!


Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact