Chris Young's Value - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Chris Young's Value

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby rmande09 » Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:02 am

Niffoc4 wrote:Miller is a few year's away, and hasn't even been dominating in the minors, so I wouldn't really hold out for him...though he is a decent prospect, I wouldn't really want to waste a high waiver pick for a guy who wouldn't help me the next year...

ANDREW Miller...
C: Pierzynski
1B: Pujols
2B: Altuve
3B: Miggy
SS: HanRam
OF (x3): CarGo, M. Bourn, D. Jennings
UTIL (x2): E. Encarnacion, C. Hart
BN: Cuddyer, C. Ross, J. Montero

SP: Price, Gallardo, T. Hudson, Lester
RP: Chapman, Jansen, Rodney, Putz, Cishek, Bailey
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby FalcoAtL » Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:30 am

rmande09 wrote:He probably won't get consistent time next year (with the way Arizona handles its prospects).

What have you based this opinion off of? I don't recall any prospects not getting time. Drew, Jackson and Quentin are all regulars. Young has already been established as the starting CF for next year. Byrnes will probably play CF and LF depending on what happens with Gonzo.
FalcoAtL
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Havok1517 » Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:48 am

FalcoAtL wrote:
rmande09 wrote:He probably won't get consistent time next year (with the way Arizona handles its prospects).

What have you based this opinion off of? I don't recall any prospects not getting time. Drew, Jackson and Quentin are all regulars. Young has already been established as the starting CF for next year. Byrnes will probably play CF and LF depending on what happens with Gonzo.

I'm assuming you mean Luis and not Carlos. He has a 10 million dollar opition and for that money I'd say Gonzo is gone. Byrnes can hold the fort until either the other Gonzo or Upton is ready. Then I have no idea what Ari will do, but they could probably get a great young pitcher in return for 1 of Q, Upton, Carlos, & Young.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 118)

Postby rmande09 » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:55 am

If you're going to get on my **** for saying something, you should probably make sure you're right, don't ya think?

First of all, they called up Quentin a month and a half ago and he has 64 ABs. Oh, that sounds like regular playing time to me! They just called Young up, who still had 3 weeks left in his season at AAA, plus playoff time, and it's pretty clear he's going to get the same treatment as Quentin. You're NUTS if you think Chris Young has his CF spot sewn up next season. He will not play everyday unless he takes the limited time he is given now and tears it up, which is highly unlikely. They'll let him split time with Eric Byrnes because that is what they do.

And I can't wait until Counsell gets back. I'm sure Drew will begin to split time then, too.

rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby FalcoAtL » Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:39 pm

rmande09 wrote:If you're going to get on my **** for saying something, you should probably make sure you're right, don't ya think?

First of all, they called up Quentin a month and a half ago and he has 64 ABs. Oh, that sounds like regular playing time to me! They just called Young up, who still had 3 weeks left in his season at AAA, plus playoff time, and it's pretty clear he's going to get the same treatment as Quentin. You're NUTS if you think Chris Young has his CF spot sewn up next season. He will not play everyday unless he takes the limited time he is given now and tears it up, which is highly unlikely. They'll let him split time with Eric Byrnes because that is what they do.

And I can't wait until Counsell gets back. I'm sure Drew will begin to split time then, too.

Why should I have to check if I'm right when I watch almost every Dbacks game? Its actually only been exactly a month since he was called up. I think its you that needs to take your own advice.

After the Dbacks gave Quentin a week and a half to adjust to the big leagues he showed them that he deserved to play everyday. Since about the start of August he has been a regular.

As for Young, I would say although it hasn't actually been stated by the team, its a pretty safe bet that he will get the majority of the starts down the road. If you take a look at his stats and the contract that they signed Byrnes to, you can also make this realization. I would say that 20-80-15 is enough for a player at Triple A to earn an audition for a starting job in the bigs, considering the fact that he was the main piece the team got for Vazquez.
FalcoAtL
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby rmande09 » Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:59 pm

Quentin does not play everyday. It has been a month, not a month and a half, my apologies. He hasn't started a game in five days. They tend to do a "two day on, one day off" with their prospects, at least they're doing that with Quentin now. He has started 17 games in a month - not everday. Once a young guy struggles, they send him to the bench, and you don't have to look far to see how true that is. He had struggled as of late, and then he hits the bench for five days. See? They don't even let a prospect work through his struggles; he's certainly not getting better on the bench.

And with Byrnes next year, it is pretty much a guarantee they will work the same way with Young. If and when he struggles, which he will, being a rookie, they'll stick Byrnes in there and make Young work his way out of a slump through spotty playing time and pinch hit appearances every few days. That's not how you handle your young "studs;" you either play them everyday, and let them work thru slumps, or keep them down in the minors until you're ready to commit to them everyday.

rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby FalcoAtL » Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:27 pm

Quentin is the starter. This goes against your theory

Rotoworld:
Diamondbacks manager Bob Melvin indicated Sunday that he's ready to play Carlos Quentin regularly in right field.
"He wouldn't be here if we didn't think he was ready to be a right fielder," Melvin said. "We felt like he was ready last year. Everything that he's shown would suggest he's ready to play." There's not going to be many at-bats available for Shawn Green with Quentin playing regularly. He'll start at first on occasion, but he might not have much fantasy value unless he gets traded. Quentin, on the other hand, should become an asset in mixed leagues.

Like I said in my first post, you have no basis for your opinion considering the last 3 big prospects that have come up now start. I don't think you're right at all about the organization's handling of it's prospects.
FalcoAtL
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby rmande09 » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:05 pm

Then what has been up with his terribly inconsistent playing time lately? I'm not so sure I understand how Melvin can sit there and say Quentin will be the starter when he hasn't started a game in five days. He has played here and there in the month he has been up, and that is very questionable when the guy blocking him is Shawn Green.

rmande09
Minor League Mentor