Chris Young's Value - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Chris Young's Value

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Chris Young's Value

Postby davidmarver » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:45 pm

With Chris Young being called up, what do you think his value is for next season? I ask because I have Eric Byrnes at $1 for 2007 and am worried that Young may dig into his time.

However, I currently have the 4th waiver spot -- this is a cafe dynasty league -- and was wondering if he was worth using that waiver spot on, knowing that at the end of the season, in order to keep him, I have to give him a contract of at least $10. Do you think he's worth that or am I better served letting someone else grab him and pray that Byrnes keeps his spot?

Our league has 5 OF spots and for next season I currently have Beltran, Matsui, Baldelli, Torii Hunter, and Eric Byrnes. I have a deal on the table for Matsui, so I could pull the trigger on that too.

I know this is more of a 'waiver' question, but I think the best answers will certainly come from this forum. Thanks. ;-D
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby shortsavage » Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:06 am

I don't know how deep the league is...I wouldn't want to rely on Byrnes getting regular playing time next season. But I don't think Young is worth $10, either. You may want to hold off on trading Matsui depending on what your other team needs are.
Last edited by shortsavage on Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby Havok1517 » Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:22 am

Hmmm, tough one. I'd probbaly pull the trigger on Young. I think Byrnes is really overproducing this year, but its tough to argue with a $1. But Young is a great prospect and could help you down the line. You have the #4 WW and I doubt you'll get anybody better than Young with that spot at this point in the year.

I'm sorta in the same boat. I need an potentially offensive stud to use my #1 WW on and don't know if I should hold out for Gordon, Butler, Wood, Maybin, Upton, etc.

Is Chris Young more like Carlos Beltran than Mike Cameron?
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 120)

Re: Chris Young's Value

Postby raiders_umpire » Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:31 am

davidmarver wrote:With Chris Young being called up, what do you think his value is for next season? I ask because I have Eric Byrnes at $1 for 2007 and am worried that Young may dig into his time.

However, I currently have the 4th waiver spot -- this is a cafe dynasty league -- and was wondering if he was worth using that waiver spot on, knowing that at the end of the season, in order to keep him, I have to give him a contract of at least $10. Do you think he's worth that or am I better served letting someone else grab him and pray that Byrnes keeps his spot?

Our league has 5 OF spots and for next season I currently have Beltran, Matsui, Baldelli, Torii Hunter, and Eric Byrnes. I have a deal on the table for Matsui, so I could pull the trigger on that too.

I know this is more of a 'waiver' question, but I think the best answers will certainly come from this forum. Thanks. ;-D

I think you have to pick him up. If Young has any type of good September, he will be up for good and should be playing CF definitely next year. Even at a $10, $12, or $14 price tag, he could definitely get you that money in return for the next few years.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Chris Young's Value

Postby davidmarver » Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:57 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:
davidmarver wrote:With Chris Young being called up, what do you think his value is for next season? I ask because I have Eric Byrnes at $1 for 2007 and am worried that Young may dig into his time.

I think you have to pick him up. If Young has any type of good September, he will be up for good and should be playing CF definitely next year. Even at a $10, $12, or $14 price tag, he could definitely get you that money in return for the next few years.

Yeah, but I need the P help more than I do the hitting, and with Hirsh on the wire, I may have to add him first.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby rmande09 » Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:16 pm

$10 is too much for Chris Young. He probably won't get consistent time next year (with the way Arizona handles its prospects). If you need pitching help, go with a Hirsh, or a Garza, if he's available. Even better would be to wait for Andrew Miller's GUARANTEED September call-up and using it then - he has big time ace potential.
C: Pierzynski
1B: Pujols
2B: Altuve
3B: Miggy
SS: HanRam
OF (x3): CarGo, M. Bourn, D. Jennings
UTIL (x2): E. Encarnacion, C. Hart
BN: Cuddyer, C. Ross, J. Montero

SP: Price, Gallardo, T. Hudson, Lester
RP: Chapman, Jansen, Rodney, Putz, Cishek, Bailey
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Steve-o » Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:28 pm

rmande09 wrote:$10 is too much for Chris Young. He probably won't get consistent time next year (with the way Arizona handles its prospects). If you need pitching help, go with a Hirsh, or a Garza, if he's available. Even better would be to wait for Andrew Miller's GUARANTEED September call-up and using it then - he has big time ace potential.

Isn't it AdamMiller (RHP Cle)? Or are you talking about someone else?
Last edited by Steve-o on Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby rmande09 » Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:31 pm

Nah, Andrew Miller, the #6 pick in this year's draft (should've been #1 but the Royals are cheap), out of UNC. TALL lefty who brings it between 96-98 with an 87-89 slider that is sharp, tight, and has great tilt. RJ-esque. He has has a little change that is straight and dies, around 90 or so. Needs to slow it down a little for it to be more effective, but definitely has top 5 fantasy pitcher potential.
C: Pierzynski
1B: Pujols
2B: Altuve
3B: Miggy
SS: HanRam
OF (x3): CarGo, M. Bourn, D. Jennings
UTIL (x2): E. Encarnacion, C. Hart
BN: Cuddyer, C. Ross, J. Montero

SP: Price, Gallardo, T. Hudson, Lester
RP: Chapman, Jansen, Rodney, Putz, Cishek, Bailey
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Steve-o » Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:35 pm

ahhh.... this one.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Niffoc4 » Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:34 pm

Miller is a few year's away, and hasn't even been dominating in the minors, so I wouldn't really hold out for him...though he is a decent prospect, I wouldn't really want to waste a high waiver pick for a guy who wouldn't help me the next year...
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball