Who will be called up??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Who will be called up???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby rmande09 » Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:31 pm

In my years of following baseball, I have NEVER seen a player called from Low-A to the Bigs. EVER. Not once. I could be wrong, but please, give me an example. I am pretty sure it has never happened.

It is an impossibility. Please, feel free to hold out for Maybin with your waiver, because you'll get f'd over. There is absolutely ZERO chance he will get called up.

And no one with an intelligent bone in their body actually suggested Upton could be called up this season, no one.
C: Pierzynski
1B: Pujols
2B: Altuve
3B: Miggy
SS: HanRam
OF (x3): CarGo, M. Bourn, D. Jennings
UTIL (x2): E. Encarnacion, C. Hart
BN: Cuddyer, C. Ross, J. Montero

SP: Price, Gallardo, T. Hudson, Lester
RP: Chapman, Jansen, Rodney, Putz, Cishek, Bailey
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hybrid » Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:32 pm

Garza didn't start in Low A though and he was 3 years older. He played in High A, AA, and AAA so he really isn't a precedent. Players just don't get called up from Low A, especially when it's their first year and are 19.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Havok1517 » Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:46 pm

hybrid wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:No its not. Jones is a converted SS and hasn't even been playing CF a full year as a professional. While he may have more MiLB ABs, he hasn't fully grasped the position yet based on early struggles in CF upon being called up. Jones is still getting used the position.

I don't think there is anything wrong with letting a guy that has dominated in the minors like Maybin has get a cup of coffee in the majors. Griffey and other players were playing and excelling in the majors at that age. A September callup won't do anything but act as a reward for a player like Maybin.

I'm not sure how you can argue this point, 2 and a half years compared to half a year is a big difference. Jones was mainly called up due to Reed being injured and they needed someone else who could play CF, he was the best option.

Maybin is not Griffey, he isn't that good. I know many people throw out the Griffey comparison, but that is more on overall tools than what types of prospects they were at the same age. How about this I will admit he has a chance when you can name 1 player at 19 in his first year got called up to the majors straight from Low A.

Well, I'd have to do some research into players from the age of 19 that were in A ball to the majors. I know Mantle skipped the minors and went straight to the majors at age 19. A lot of player have been in the majors at 19 though (Griffey, Gooden, and Felix come to mind). A few other players skipped the minors all together in the modern era.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 134)

Postby hybrid » Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:59 pm

Havok1517 wrote:Well, I'd have to do some research into players from the age of 19 that were in A ball to the majors. I know Mantle skipped the minors and went straight to the majors at age 19. A lot of player have been in the majors at 19 though (Griffey, Gooden, and Felix come to mind). A few other players skipped the minors all together in the modern era.

Yeah but the point I'm making is that there really is no presedent for a player like Maybin to ever jump from Low A to the majors, with no other minor leagues (AA/AAA) involved ... at 19 in their first season of pro ball. The guys you named did make it at 19, even BJ did that, but they were all different cases then Maybin is in.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Havok1517 » Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:15 am

hybrid wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:Well, I'd have to do some research into players from the age of 19 that were in A ball to the majors. I know Mantle skipped the minors and went straight to the majors at age 19. A lot of player have been in the majors at 19 though (Griffey, Gooden, and Felix come to mind). A few other players skipped the minors all together in the modern era.

Yeah but the point I'm making is that there really is no presedent for a player like Maybin to ever jump from Low A to the majors, with no other minor leagues (AA/AAA) involved ... at 19 in their first season of pro ball. The guys you named did make it at 19, even BJ did that, but they were all different cases then Maybin is in.

I'm not at all saying Maybin will ever be in that class. Again, its probably just wishful thinking since I believe he's better than CYoung. In actuality, I think none of the above will get called up. I'm just hoping. I'm sure throughout history its happened. But Latin players usually sign at 16/17 so thats out. But to say something can't happen when it can (theoretically at the very least) is stupid. It should say, "I don't think it will happen because...".
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby shortsavage » Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:14 am

Havok1517 wrote:
shortsavage wrote:You're out of your element Donny.

What a dumb thing to say, twice. Are you trying to belittle me or show that you know more with some sort of snide and cliche comment? If that is the case, keep dreaming and grow up. I'd put my baseball (fantasy/reailty) knowledge against just about everybody in the cafe.

I'm not saying Maybin will be promoted I'm saying he could. As could everyone I listed. I'm trying to decide if I should burn my #1 WW priority on CYoung or wait for somebody better (Maybin would be better).

You're out of your element Donny.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby kimchi_chigae » Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:14 am

Play nice, guys. :-)

We'll be watching if anyone goes out of line. }:-) ;-)
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:12 pm

bigwords wrote:According to the Fantasy 411 MLB.com podcast, a source inside the Tigers organization indicated that Cameron Maybin could be called up soon. Obviously, this would be huge, not necessarally because Maybin would contribute this year -- he'd probably only be a pinch runner -- but because it would start his arbitration clock and the Tigers would have no hesitancy in bringing him up in future years, possibly next.

Enough caveats and conditional phrases, I know, but still very, very interesting.

;-D
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby FantasyGURU802 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:38 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
bigwords wrote:According to the Fantasy 411 MLB.com podcast, a source inside the Tigers organization indicated that Cameron Maybin could be called up soon. Obviously, this would be huge, not necessarally because Maybin would contribute this year -- he'd probably only be a pinch runner -- but because it would start his arbitration clock and the Tigers would have no hesitancy in bringing him up in future years, possibly next.

Enough caveats and conditional phrases, I know, but still very, very interesting.

;-D

You all just got pwned...

Tulowitzki is already up... No one else on the list is though... Hopefully a few more will be up in the next week or so...
[b]Member of the SGMKL[/b]
[b]THE FANTASY GURU[/b]
FantasyGURU802
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby shortsavage » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:32 pm

He still hasn't been called up, right?
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager