Who will be called up??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Who will be called up???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Havok1517 » Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:27 pm

Maybe its wishful thinking that Maybin will be called up but Det seems crazy about the guy, for good reason, and a reward may be in order.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 117)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby shortsavage » Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:57 pm

Havok1517 wrote:Maybe its wishful thinking that Maybin will be called up but Det seems crazy about the guy, for good reason, and a reward may be in order.

You're out of your element Donny.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby Havok1517 » Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:47 pm

shortsavage wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:Maybe its wishful thinking that Maybin will be called up but Det seems crazy about the guy, for good reason, and a reward may be in order.

Its not as crazy as Adam Jones getting called up to start as a regular.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby hybrid » Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:41 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
shortsavage wrote:

Yes it is ... Adam Jones had 2 and a half season in the minors before getting called up and spent time in AAA. Maybin has just over 300 AB's and is in Low A. There is a pretty big difference between the two, when debating a call up.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Havok1517 » Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:55 pm

hybrid wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:
shortsavage wrote:

Yes it is ... Adam Jones had 2 and a half season in the minors before getting called up and spent time in AAA. Maybin has just over 300 AB's and is in Low A. There is a pretty big difference between the two, when debating a call up.

No its not. Jones is a converted SS and hasn't even been playing CF a full year as a professional. While he may have more MiLB ABs, he hasn't fully grasped the position yet based on early struggles in CF upon being called up. Jones is still getting used the position.

I don't think there is anything wrong with letting a guy that has dominated in the minors like Maybin has get a cup of coffee in the majors. Griffey and other players were playing and excelling in the majors at that age. A September callup won't do anything but act as a reward for a player like Maybin.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby shortsavage » Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:59 pm

Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby Havok1517 » Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:33 pm

shortsavage wrote:You're out of your element Donny.

What a dumb thing to say, twice. Are you trying to belittle me or show that you know more with some sort of snide and cliche comment? If that is the case, keep dreaming and grow up. I'd put my baseball (fantasy/reailty) knowledge against just about everybody in the cafe.

I'm not saying Maybin will be promoted I'm saying he could. As could everyone I listed. I'm trying to decide if I should burn my #1 WW priority on CYoung or wait for somebody better (Maybin would be better).
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby rmande09 » Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:14 pm

I don't mean this to be offensive, Havoc, but you really can't have much of a clue if you really think it is reasonable that Maybin could be called up. He would get torn apart by MLB pitching, it would be completely detrimental to his progression. Most minor leaguers' problems are hitting, not defense, so your ridiculous Jones vs. Maybin argument is just that - ridiculous. Jones was at AAA, has been in the minors for a few years, and was hitting and play well defensively at AAA. That did not transfer well to the Majors, as it does not always does, but he should eventually become a good player. He does not have much left to learn at the AAA level.

Maybin is at Low-A, and still needs to spend time at A+, AA, and AAA before going to the Bigs. Pitchers can sometimes skip AAA and go straight to the Bigs, but it is very rare for a hitter. He is 19, and has not even mastered A- ball, so how can you even suggest it's POSSIBLE he'd be called up in a pennant race? Ask any "well-regarded" Minor league guy on this site (I have a feeling I may be among the few we have, but that's just my opinion) and they'll tell you that thinking Maybin could "possibly" get called up is absolutely stupid.
C: Pierzynski
1B: Pujols
2B: Altuve
3B: Miggy
SS: HanRam
OF (x3): CarGo, M. Bourn, D. Jennings
UTIL (x2): E. Encarnacion, C. Hart
BN: Cuddyer, C. Ross, J. Montero

SP: Price, Gallardo, T. Hudson, Lester
RP: Chapman, Jansen, Rodney, Putz, Cishek, Bailey
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hybrid » Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:19 pm

Havok1517 wrote:No its not. Jones is a converted SS and hasn't even been playing CF a full year as a professional. While he may have more MiLB ABs, he hasn't fully grasped the position yet based on early struggles in CF upon being called up. Jones is still getting used the position.

I don't think there is anything wrong with letting a guy that has dominated in the minors like Maybin has get a cup of coffee in the majors. Griffey and other players were playing and excelling in the majors at that age. A September callup won't do anything but act as a reward for a player like Maybin.

I'm not sure how you can argue this point, 2 and a half years compared to half a year is a big difference. Jones was mainly called up due to Reed being injured and they needed someone else who could play CF, he was the best option.

Maybin is not Griffey, he isn't that good. I know many people throw out the Griffey comparison, but that is more on overall tools than what types of prospects they were at the same age. How about this I will admit he has a chance when you can name 1 player at 19 in his first year got called up to the majors straight from Low A.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Havok1517 » Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:21 pm

rmande09 wrote:I don't mean this to be offensive, Havoc, but you really can't have much of a clue if you really think it is reasonable that Maybin could be called up. He would get torn apart by MLB pitching, it would be completely detrimental to his progression. Most minor leaguers' problems are hitting, not defense, so your ridiculous Jones vs. Maybin argument is just that - ridiculous. Jones was at AAA, has been in the minors for a few years, and was hitting and play well defensively at AAA. That did not transfer well to the Majors, as it does not always does, but he should eventually become a good player. He does not have much left to learn at the AAA level.

Maybin is at Low-A, and still needs to spend time at A+, AA, and AAA before going to the Bigs. Pitchers can sometimes skip AAA and go straight to the Bigs, but it is very rare for a hitter. He is 19, and has not even mastered A- ball, so how can you even suggest it's POSSIBLE he'd be called up in a pennant race? Ask any "well-regarded" Minor league guy on this site (I have a feeling I may be among the few we have, but that's just my opinion) and they'll tell you that thinking Maybin could "possibly" get called up is absolutely stupid.

I've already said it probably won't happen but it could. Some guys do make the jump from A to the majors. But to say that I don't have a clue is a bad statment since there has been precedent (Garza being 1 example this season). Its probably just wishful thinking. I'm just trying to find somebody better than Young that might get called up. A lot of things could happen. While I do know the chances of Maybin being called up are very slim it still could happen, just like a lot of things could. Many people believed that Justin Upton would get called up sometime this year since he was so good during ST (I was not one of them). He and Maybin have been on the same level, the difference being that Maybin has far outperformed Upton. Stanger things have happened.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

PreviousNext

Return to Minor League & College Baseball