Who will be called up??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Who will be called up???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Who will be called up???

Postby hybrid » Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:01 am

Alex Gordon (3B - KC) - I think if they were he would of been in AAA by now.
Brandon Wood (SS - LAAoA) - No real reason, they have people in front that can help out. I guess he could get a call up just to get his feet wet
Justin Upton (CF - ARI) - Not a chance, in Low A and has disappointed
Billy Butler (RF - KC) - I believe he is playing for team USA and same thing w/ Gordon .. they want both to spend time in AAA first.
Homer Bailey (RHP - CIN) - Heard they will keep him down in AA for the rest of the year
Phil Hughes (RHP - NYY) - Same as Homer
Cameron Maybin (CF - DET) - Same as Upton except he has performed well
Troy Tulowitzki (SS - COL) - It's possible, not sure what their plan is really
Andy LaRoche (3B - LA) - Probably not with all the INF's the Dodgers have right now
Jay Bruce (CF - CIN) - Same as Maybin
Carlos Gonzalez (RF - ARI) - To far away in High A right now
Ian Stewart (3B - COL)

Havok1517 wrote:Is Chris Young more like Carlos Beltran than Mike Cameron?

Those players are both pretty similiar as far as tools go, except Beltran has a better bat. Are you basically asking if Young will hit .250-.260 or more in the .280 range?
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Who will be called up???

Postby Havok1517 » Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:26 am

hybrid wrote:Alex Gordon (3B - KC) - I think if they were he would of been in AAA by now.
Brandon Wood (SS - LAAoA) - No real reason, they have people in front that can help out. I guess he could get a call up just to get his feet wet
Justin Upton (CF - ARI) - Not a chance, in Low A and has disappointed
Billy Butler (RF - KC) - I believe he is playing for team USA and same thing w/ Gordon .. they want both to spend time in AAA first.
Homer Bailey (RHP - CIN) - Heard they will keep him down in AA for the rest of the year
Phil Hughes (RHP - NYY) - Same as Homer
Cameron Maybin (CF - DET) - Same as Upton except he has performed well
Troy Tulowitzki (SS - COL) - It's possible, not sure what their plan is really
Andy LaRoche (3B - LA) - Probably not with all the INF's the Dodgers have right now
Jay Bruce (CF - CIN) - Same as Maybin
Carlos Gonzalez (RF - ARI) - To far away in High A right now
Ian Stewart (3B - COL)

Havok1517 wrote:Is Chris Young more like Carlos Beltran than Mike Cameron?

Yeah, I want a sense of the capabilites of Young. It seems to me his upside it Beltran. I just don't want a guy that Ks all the time with a .250 avg like Cameron.

Those players are both pretty similiar as far as tools go, except Beltran has a better bat. Are you basically asking if Young will hit .250-.260 or more in the .280 range?

According to ESPN's Jerry Crasnick, the Royals have no plans to call up either Alex Gordon or Billy Butler when rosters expand next month.

Crasnick speculated that, "I think they'll get a shot in spring training, but I suspect they won't be up until after the 2007 season begins." With Mark Teahen playing well, the Royals have been extremely conservative with Gordon, and Butler is still just 20 years old.
Source: ESPN.com

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/featur ... icle=24409

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/featur ... leid=24396

I don't see M Izturis keeping up his pace. Maybe Wood could man 3B?
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 118)

Postby shortsavage » Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:12 am

John Manuel said he thought Wood was ready for the majors at midseason. Hoping for any of these guys to get called up is really just wishfull, though.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby Havok1517 » Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:40 am

shortsavage wrote:John Manuel said he thought Wood was ready for the majors at midseason. Hoping for any of these guys to get called up is really just wishfull, though.

I personally think, of the above list, only Maybin, Tuly, & Wood have a chance to be called up. Maybe Bailey if the Reds get in trouble, which they might.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 118)

Postby raiders_umpire » Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:25 am

Havok1517 wrote:
shortsavage wrote:John Manuel said he thought Wood was ready for the majors at midseason. Hoping for any of these guys to get called up is really just wishfull, though.

I personally think, of the above list, only Maybin, Tuly, & Wood have a chance to be called up. Maybe Bailey if the Reds get in trouble, which they might.

I was sort of in the same situation in my dynasty league having a top waiver wire exemption. I definitely needed more offense then I needed pitching, but with the looks of very few September callups to help me, I used my waiver on Garza. I will be shooting myself if Gordon does indeed get the call, but my best estimations I think the best of the bunch have already been called up for this year.

Maybin is very unlikely due to his age and he is still in A ball. I think Detroit is going to take it easy with him considering how well they have played this year.

Tulo is the most likely callup imo of this list.

I have read on a few sites that Bailey would be shut down come the beginning of September.

Wood is a slight possibility, but the Angels do have a few guys at AAA that could help out that would probably get the call before Wood does.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby hybrid » Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:32 am

I just don't see Wood helping much if he was called up. If they moved him over to 3B he wouldn't be an upgrade defensively, he'd be a downgrade. Also with the amount he K's I see him having a tough time adjusting to MLB pitching at first.

Maybin really has no shot at being called up, not sure why you think he would since he is in Low A and is pretty raw as a prospect right now.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby FantasyGURU802 » Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:50 am

There are some reports of Delmon Young getting called up if Gomes has shoulder surgery.
[b]Member of the SGMKL[/b]
[b]THE FANTASY GURU[/b]
FantasyGURU802
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rmande09 » Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:18 pm

For what reason do you seem to think Wood OR Maybin OR Tulo will be called up? I can understand Tulo and Wood a little bit, even though neither will be called up because both organizations want them to improve on their "zone discipline." Bringing them up in September and then sending them back in AAA is not a route most organizations like to go, because they feel they are sending the wrong message to the players. Wood is not ready (look at his K numbers! He'd get eaten alive at the bigs) and Tulo, who is more polished than Wood, would probably still struggle quite a bit at the Big League level.

As for Maybin, a 19 year old getting called up to the Big Leagues after spending the entire season at Low-A? Riiiiiiiiiight. That's definitely not happening, zero chance. Especially because Detroit is in a pennant race and they already have plenty of OF.
C: Pierzynski
1B: Pujols
2B: Altuve
3B: Miggy
SS: HanRam
OF (x3): CarGo, M. Bourn, D. Jennings
UTIL (x2): E. Encarnacion, C. Hart
BN: Cuddyer, C. Ross, J. Montero

SP: Price, Gallardo, T. Hudson, Lester
RP: Chapman, Jansen, Rodney, Putz, Cishek, Bailey
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Morrison8312 » Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:45 pm

Agreed. Maybin will NOT be called up.

I'm praying Bailey will be called up but I'm not sure he will.
Morrison8312
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby shortsavage » Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:20 pm

If you guys just played dynasty leagues, you wouldn't really have to worry about this kind of stuff.

MLB General Managers don't redraft every year - why should we? Wasn't fantasy baseball created as a way to be able to keep interested in baseball during the offseason? Redraft leagues are for fantasy football people and people who don't have time to study the minors. Dynasty leagues are for true hardcore baseball fans.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Minor League & College Baseball