Wrestling hijack - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Wrestling hijack

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:10 pm

Madison wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote: RVD while back on RAW, he basically had to carry relatively green superstars like Carlito for instance,

Carlito Caribbean Cool wrote:That's not Cool.

:-b

You know who else is green? Triple H and HBK. ;-7
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 672)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:14 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
Madison wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote: RVD while back on RAW, he basically had to carry relatively green superstars like Carlito for instance,

Carlito Caribbean Cool wrote:That's not Cool.

You know who else is green? Triple H and HBK. ;-7

DX wrote:Oh yeah? Well we got two words for ya!!!!!

Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:36 pm

anyone know a certain catch phrase flair uses? it goes somthing like,"limosine drivin, high profilin.."

cant find it online, any of you guys know what im talking about?
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby emb0lus » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:49 pm

The Miner Part 2 wrote:anyone know a certain catch phrase flair uses? it goes somthing like,"limosine drivin, high profilin.."

The Limosine riding, leer jet flying, wheeling dealing, kiss stealing son of a gun, the Nature Boy Ric Flair! Whooooo!

OK, just had to contribute something. I watched WWF in phases, age 5-15 then 20-25. haven't paid much attention since it became wwe. I will say I did meet Mick Foley about 2 years ago in the airport in Atlanta. He was wearing sweat pants and a black t shirt and beat up tennis shoes... pretty much in character or just how he likes to roll.
emb0lus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:40 pm

perlick, if you want to see RVD's best work (IMO), find his 3 matches vs Jerry Lynn from ECW. You need look no further than those 3 to see the 'story' Dodger keeps referring to, that he likes to see in-ring work tell in matches. Also check out some of Chris Jericho's old ECW stuff, or Taz back when 'The Franchise' Shane Douglas and Bam Bam Bigelow were going crazy there.

And, just for fun, here's a few things I markthefout for:

- Hearing the glass break to start 'Stone Cold' Steve Austin's theme music
- The Rock as a heel
- Dudleyz vs. Edge/Christian vs. Hardy Boyz TLC Matches
- Shawn Michaels superkicking Marty Jannetty through the Barbershop Window
- Shawn Michaels' white Intercontinental Title
- The Impact Players (Justin Credible and Lance Storm)
- Every time HBK accidentally superkicked Diesel
- 'OH MY GOD!' - Joey Styles

I haven't watched wrestling in about 4 years, but I've watched RAW the last 2 weeks, and IMO, it's ehh. The matches are worse than ever, and to top it all off, there's no big personality that I actually care for, e.g. HBK, The Rock, SCSA, Steroid Triple H ... Edge can't carry things, nor can Cena, nor can Orton ... nor can guys like HBK, Triple H, etc. anymore. They need to figure something out -- Cena seems to be their best guy on the mic, but his whole ghetto image thing stinks, IMO, and could possibly benefit huge from a massive heel turn like The Rock when he became The Corporate Champion...

I think this wrestling talk just made me go cross-eyed. 8-o
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 360)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:43 pm

The Miner Part 2 wrote:anyone know a certain catch phrase flair uses? it goes somthing like,"limosine drivin, high profilin.."

Don't know the entire quote word for word, but it goes something like "I'm a limousine drivin', Learjet flyin', wheelin', dealin' son of a gun who kissed all the girls...WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!"

bigh0rt wrote:perlick, if you want to see RVD's best work (IMO), find his 3 matches vs Jerry Lynn from ECW. You need look no further than those 3 to see the 'story' Dodger keeps referring to, that he likes to see in-ring work tell in matches.

Ding, ding, ding. I would check out Living Dangerously '99, Hardcore Heaven '99, and Hardcore Heaven '00. Those are RVD and Jerry Lynn's best matches, perlick. The one on the last ever ECW PPV, Guilty as Charged 2001, isn't half-bad, but not as tremendous as those matches I've listed.

bigh0rt wrote:find his 3 matches vs Jerry Lynn from ECW. You need look no further than those 3 to see the 'story' Dodger keeps referring to, that he likes to see in-ring work tell in matches. Also check out some of Chris Jericho's old ECW stuff, or Taz back when 'The Franchise' Shane Douglas and Bam Bam Bigelow were going crazy there.

And, just for fun, here's a few things I markthefout for:

- Hearing the glass break to start 'Stone Cold' Steve Austin's theme music
- The Rock as a heel
- Dudleyz vs. Edge/Christian vs. Hardy Boyz TLC Matches
- Shawn Michaels superkicking Marty Jannetty through the Barbershop Window
- Shawn Michaels' white Intercontinental Title
- The Impact Players (Justin Credible and Lance Storm)
- Every time HBK accidentally superkicked Diesel
- 'OH MY GOD!' - Joey Styles

I would also add RVD doing the Van Terminator as a mark out moment or when Tommy Dreamer handcuffed Raven to the steel cage and blew his brains out with a sick looking chairshot. OH MY GOD!!!

I've always liked Stone Cold's entrance theme. I always thought the Attitude Era had the best entrance theme songs because they perfectly matched the characters of the wrestlers (i.e. Rock, HHH, DX, New Age Outlaws, and Taker to name a few).

Rock was brilliant as a heel. I remember when the fans would chime in on his predictable catchphrases and he'd halt them short and say something like, "This isn't sing-along time with The Rock!"

The TLC matches ruled. The Tag Team division actually meant something back then and that's an area WWE really needs to develop. But then again, there was always something special with the Dudleys and E&C.

I liked HBK (never liked him) when he was a heel mid-carder who broke away from The Rockers. Yes, I remember that Brutus Beefcake's Barbershop segment where HBK superkicked Jannetty too.

Ultimate Warrior's yellow IC belt was cooler. B-)

I was more of a fan of RVD/Sabu than the Impact Players, naturally. I just remembered 3 Count from the late WCW days when I wrote this. :-b

Yes, the quality of the WWE product has declined for the last, oh, 4 years. The last great PPV was Wrestlemania 17, five years ago, and that sort of signaled the very peak of WWE there. Of course, when Vince bought out WCW and ECW and after the Invasion angle, WWE has lost steam.

Like I said before, WWE is in a transitional stage. True, it lacks a larger-than-life superstar like Rock or Stone Cold, but then again, they are icons for one generation of the product, much like Hulk Hogan was the top draw in the 80's. You can't expect John Cena or Edge to carry the mantle like Rock or Austin because they pale in comparison to Rock and Austin and the fans know that. I think the WWE product has become too formulaic as a result. This whole DX vs. McMahon angle is just some sort of rehash of Austin vs. McMahon and such a storyline is quite cliche with McMahon being the Machiavellian head honcho and HHH/HBK as rebellious figures (more like obnoxious 13 year olds). Likewise, the bookers can't book Cena vs. Edge the same way as Austin vs. Rock which was a unique storyline/feud like Austin vs. McMahon.

BTW, I don't reckon Cena will turn heel, with his new movie, "The Marine" coming out this Fall, which is of course produced by WWE Films, who likewise produced Kane's "See No Evil". Let the Cena flick hype machine begin. :-[
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 672)

Postby 1337_Dude » Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:17 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:Ultimate Warrior's yellow IC belt was cooler. B-)

And one belt to rule them all...

1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:18 pm

1337_Dude wrote:

virgil was so jealous..
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:25 pm

The Miner Part 2 wrote:
1337_Dude wrote:

virgil was so jealous..

ha ha...Virgil...that guy sucked
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby 1337_Dude » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:55 pm

The Miner Part 2 wrote:
1337_Dude wrote:

virgil was so jealous..

Wouldn't you be?
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk