Question About Grilling - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Question About Grilling

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Question About Grilling

Postby JTWood » Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:18 pm

I had a first in grilling last week. I had to throw out everything I had cooked on the grill because everything was covered in charcoal dust (I don't use gas). Here's what I think happened:

I cleaned my grill of the old ash before cooking, like always. I used the same charcoal brand I've been using for two years, same lighter fluid, and same technique (covered cooking). The only thing I changed was that I opened up the bottom vents on my pit wider than normal.

I understand that the physics of what I did would create an updraft. I actually wanted that to happen. I was hoping my coals would burn hotter with the extra oxygen and that the updraft would create more of a convection thereby cooking the meat more evenly. However, I didnt' think it would create such a large updraft that it would aerosolize the ash.

Have you guys ever had anything like that happen to you? I'd never heard of that happening before.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Question About Grilling

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:40 pm

JTWood wrote:I had a first in grilling last week. I had to throw out everything I had cooked on the grill because everything was covered in charcoal dust (I don't use gas). Here's what I think happened:

I cleaned my grill of the old ash before cooking, like always. I used the same charcoal brand I've been using for two years, same lighter fluid , and same technique (covered cooking). The only thing I changed was that I opened up the bottom vents on my pit wider than normal.

I understand that the physics of what I did would create an updraft. I actually wanted that to happen. I was hoping my coals would burn hotter with the extra oxygen and that the updraft would create more of a convection thereby cooking the meat more evenly. However, I didnt' think it would create such a large updraft that it would aerosolize the ash.

Have you guys ever had anything like that happen to you? I'd never heard of that happening before.

never had that happen, was it real windy or something?

anyway...as a fellow charcoal griller, toss the lighter fluid and invest in this ;-D

[url=http://www.amazon.com/Weber-87886-Chimney/dp/B00004U9VV/sr=8-1/qid=1155926214/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-1315587-5526453?ie=UTF8]Weber 87886 Chimney Starter
[/url]
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby acsguitar » Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:41 pm

I cook with propane and propane accessories
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby JTWood » Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:48 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
JTWood wrote:I had a first in grilling last week. I had to throw out everything I had cooked on the grill because everything was covered in charcoal dust (I don't use gas). Here's what I think happened:

I cleaned my grill of the old ash before cooking, like always. I used the same charcoal brand I've been using for two years, same lighter fluid , and same technique (covered cooking). The only thing I changed was that I opened up the bottom vents on my pit wider than normal.

anyway...as a fellow charcoal griller, toss the lighter fluid and invest in this ;-D

[url=http://www.amazon.com/Weber-87886-Chimney/dp/B00004U9VV/sr=8-1/qid=1155926214/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-1315587-5526453?ie=UTF8]Weber 87886 Chimney Starter
[/url]

Dude, I heard about these things a few weeks ago, and I've been strongly considering grabbing one since then.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Coppermine » Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:58 pm

JTWood wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:

[/url]

Dude, I heard about these things a few weeks ago, and I've been strongly considering grabbing one since then.

Once you use a chimney starter, you won't know how you lived without it. Maybe that's an exaggeration, but they're all but absolutely necessary for charcoal grilling.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby mikhayl » Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:06 pm

2 things:

A chimney is a must. Lighter fluid SUCKS.

I've never had ash come up and I cook with the bottom ventilation open pretty wide -about halfway.

Was it really windy? Did you let the coals burn for too long before putting the meat on there? Was the top ventilation open all the way?

That story's a major bummer. I hope you had enough beer on hand to wait out another round of grilling.
Let's go O's. Let's go Mets.
mikhayl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby JTWood » Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:18 pm

mikhayl wrote:2 things:

A chimney is a must. Lighter fluid SUCKS.

I've never had ash come up and I cook with the bottom ventilation open pretty wide -about halfway.

Was it really windy? Did you let the coals burn for too long before putting the meat on there? Was the top ventilation open all the way?

That story's a major bummer. I hope you had enough beer on hand to wait out another round of grilling.

I had the bottom vents open at about 75% and the top at 100%, but the top is considerably smaller than the bottom as there are two vents underneath to the one on top. It was windy, but I can't imaging that a closed grill could be altered that much by a moderate wind (15-20 mph).

It was already late that night, so I had to settle for microwaved hot dogs to go with my four side dishes.

:-/
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:25 pm

JTWood wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:

[/url]

i have that exact one...i think it was about $20 with shipping...plus you get to burn up old newspaper
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby mikhayl » Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:42 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:i have that exact one...i think it was about $20 with shipping...plus you get to burn up old newspaper

Also term papers/journal articles/ and for us old fogies, TPS reports.
Let's go O's. Let's go Mets.
mikhayl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby raiders_umpire » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:08 pm

I cleaned my grill of the old ash before cooking, like always. I used the same charcoal brand I've been using for two years, same lighter fluid, and same technique (covered cooking). The only thing I changed was that I opened up the bottom vents on my pit wider than normal.

:-? I cook on my grills about 5 times a week and I can't remember that ever happening to me. Had the charcoal possibly been wet?
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk