Brent Clevlen - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Brent Clevlen

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Brent Clevlen

Postby Mberg121 » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:59 am

I've never heard of this guy before a couple of weeks ago...I know he may not have value this year, but how good will this guy eventually be when/if he grabs a starting gig? Is he worth a pickup in a really deep keeper league where i'd drop a prospect like scott mathieson and scott proctor (we count holds)...Thanks
Mberg121
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mberg121 » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:55 pm

Anyone familiar with this guy?
Mberg121
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Dannomyte » Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:41 pm

No telling how good he can be. He had a great season last year in his 2nd season of A ball but was struggling at Double-A this season before being called up. I wouldn't drop anyone like the 2 guys you mentioned for him because I doubt he has a starting spot next season. Even if he does I doubt he would consistantly put up good enough numbers to warrant a roster spot. I personally doubt he ever hits over .285-.290 and 20 HR in the big leagues.
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mcqfesijiba » Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:02 pm

Dannomyte wrote:No telling how good he can be. He had a great season last year in his 2nd season of A ball but was struggling at Double-A this season before being called up. I wouldn't drop anyone like the 2 guys you mentioned for him because I doubt he has a starting spot next season. Even if he does I doubt he would consistantly put up good enough numbers to warrant a roster spot. I personally doubt he ever hits over .285-.290 and 20 HR in the big leagues.
I think he has more power potential than that and has potential for 25 HR or so, but I'm not necessarily so optimistic on his batting average until I see more evidence of contact skills. I think he needs a little bit more minor league time before we make a true projection for him.

His numbers at AA stump me, because they are WAAAY below his talent level and then he comes up to the bigs and does well. I think there was something going on at Erie contributing to his struggles, perhaps environmental. Regardless, I think he opens up next year in Toledo so it's hard to determine when he will have his first real shot at a starting job in Detroit. His defense in the outfield will make him a good choice for a bench job in the major leagues even if he fails to meet his full potential in the next few seasons.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Injuries & Player Updates