Vance Wilson gets 2 year contract extension - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Detroit Tigers

Vance Wilson gets 2 year contract extension

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Vance Wilson gets 2 year contract extension

Postby Dannomyte » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:50 pm

DETROIT -- Considering the open market, Tigers backup catcher Vance Wilson could've looked for a platoon job or even a more regular starting role as a free agent this season. But in his mind, he probably couldn't find the situation he has here.

So when the club came to him and gauged his interest in re-signing, Wilson was willing to listen. About a week later, he had a deal. The Tigers formalized it Thursday afternoon, inking him to a two-year contract worth $1.9 million.

"This group of guys, I wish I could play my whole career with them," he said Thursday afternoon.

That's a pretty good statement for someone whose playing time depends on a future Hall of Famer in front of him, who wants to play every day and keeps himself in the shape to do it. But as Wilson put it, "At this point in my career, there's a lot more important things than playing time."

Wilson will make $950,000 in both 2007 and 2008, with potential bonuses each year based on plate appearances.

http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/NASApp/ml ... p&c_id=det
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moochman » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:11 pm

Great deal for Wilson. He is a solid back-up. Tigers did a good job and he's making good cash for his role.

Not very good news for Inge. If the Tigers can find an everyday thirdbaseman who can hit for average Inge could find himself in the role he is suited for but doens't want: utility guy.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mcqfesijiba » Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:17 am

moochman wrote:Great deal for Wilson. He is a solid back-up. Tigers did a good job and he's making good cash for his role.

Not very good news for Inge. If the Tigers can find an everyday thirdbaseman who can hit for average Inge could find himself in the role he is suited for but doens't want: utility guy.
True, although to be honest, I wasn't expecting Inge to get back to being a catcher anytime soon regardless. If I'm not mistaken (I am going by what I've read the past few years), Inge would actually prefer to be a utility guy (one who plays most everyday, resulting in a 400+ AB season) over catching. From what I understand, Inge doesn't like catching, but would do it if he had to.

One concern is that Wilson will be 35 in 2008, but backup catchers sometimes hold up well defensively. Even the eternally injured 40 year old Sandy Alomar Jr still makes cameos on major league teams between injuries. I wonder who Wilson will be backing up in 2008? Pudge has a team option in 2008, so it won't necessarily be him. Vance was smart to sign here. I think he knows he's not a starter, and he'd probably have to go to a crappy team to even have a shot at starting. He'll be making very nice money to be a backup catcher on a team that could continue to be pretty good. That's a good deal.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby gfantasy » Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:44 am

Great move for Vance.
gfantasy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Web Supporter

Return to Detroit Tigers