Jake Peavy's contact lenses - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Jake Peavy's contact lenses

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jake Peavy's contact lenses

Postby Ryno23 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:59 pm

From RotoTimes:
Jake Peavy finally received a shipment of contact lenses with his new prescription on Wednesday, according to the San Diego Union-Tribune. Peavy's prescription was changed during spring training, but he had trouble getting his order filled. He is legally blind without contacts. While still wearing his old lenses, Peavy apparently had trouble picking up his catchers' signs.

That's the lamest excuse I've ever heard. How does anybody, let alone a pro ballplayer, have that much trouble getting his lens order filled? He's pitched 4 months without being able to see the catcher and the plate clearly. If this contributed at all to his struggles this year, there's no excuse for it.
Ryno23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Jake Peavy's contact lenses

Postby Prooks25 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:38 pm

Ryno23 wrote:From RotoTimes:
Jake Peavy finally received a shipment of contact lenses with his new prescription on Wednesday, according to the San Diego Union-Tribune. Peavy's prescription was changed during spring training, but he had trouble getting his order filled. He is legally blind without contacts. While still wearing his old lenses, Peavy apparently had trouble picking up his catchers' signs.

That's the lamest excuse I've ever heard. How does anybody, let alone a pro ballplayer, have that much trouble getting his lens order filled? He's pitched 4 months without being able to see the catcher and the plate clearly. If this contributed at all to his struggles this year, there's no excuse for it.

Yeah, this story smells like Bull's poo poo.
Prooks25
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:51 pm

i dont think peavy is making excuses, it seems like rototimes is using this as an excuse instead. still, totally stupid. i mean his teammate chan ho was pitching with only half his blood and he didnt complain!
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Another Blown Save » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:10 am

Are you sure it's not the Padres hitters that are missing their contact lenses?
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Ditka311 » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:29 am

Almost as pathetic as Prior's "stomach flu".
Ditka311
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Loveable Losers » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:33 am

BitterDodgerFan wrote:i dont think peavy is making excuses, it seems like rototimes is using this as an excuse instead. still, totally stupid. i mean his teammate chan ho was pitching with only half his blood and he didnt complain!

ROFL...for some reason that made me think of The Black Knight in Monty Python's and the Holy Grail...Chan Ho Park hopping around with no arms and legs on the mound saying, "it's just a flesh wound".

On a serious note I agree...Peavy's a good ol' Southern boy. He's not going to make excuses (and he'll pitch through just about anything) which is why we didn't hear a thing about the contacts until he actually got them in the mail. If it were Mark Prior missing the contacts this would have been an ongoing saga from the first moment he had to pitch without them until he finally got the contacts.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby Mashug » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:46 am

Another Blown Save wrote:Are you sure it's not the Padres hitters that are missing their contact lenses?

No, they're missing talent.
Mashug
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bigmoney » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:21 am

for a guy making millions of dollars, he could've just paid extra for express shipping. i dunno why rototimes even brought this up, they must really be out of headlines
bigmoney
College Coach
College Coach

Postby n0_j0 » Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:02 pm

And they include that "legally blind" baloney. The definition of legally blind includes that it's not correctable beyond some point. Lots of people have vision that, when it's not corrected, is below the line of what legally blind is - but to be considered legally blind, it can't be correctable above that point.
n0_j0
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Re: Jake Peavy's contact lenses

Postby cookman » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:00 pm

Ryno23 wrote:From RotoTimes:

WTF? I just ordered generic contacts off some random website I found on Yahoo without a prescription and it took less than a week. You can get a box from any Walmart for less than $20. What a stupid story.
cookman
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates