BJ Upton out - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

BJ Upton out

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

BJ Upton out

Postby dc928 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:19 pm

Why is he out get replace by Bob Zobrist on 2nd AB?
dc928
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Great White Hype » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:23 pm

Left shoulder injury.... this can't be good. He already can't get a hit, now I don't see him finally starting to run if he's hurt his shoulder. Bummer
The Great White Hype
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby SwingandaMiss » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:50 pm

what a disappointment this kid has been....maybe this will help him....he can't get much worse....they give you an opportunity and put you in the leadoff spot and talk about blowing your chance....wow...
SwingandaMiss
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Prooks25 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:37 pm

SwingandaMiss wrote:what a disappointment this kid has been....maybe this will help him....he can't get much worse....they give you an opportunity and put you in the leadoff spot and talk
about blowing your chance....wow...

Can we give him more than 2 weeks please?
Prooks25
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby bcb » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:29 am

Can we give him more than 2 weeks please?

Not at this point in the fantasy season. This was the final straw for me. Even though I'm in a keeper league, I had to drop him because of the lack of productivity in the SB column (a cat that swings 4 points every day in our league). I grabbed Kinsler.
bcb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby duckmonkey » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:18 am

I just dropped him right before the game where he got hurt. I have plenty of steals and his numbers are killing me heading into the playoffs.

I added another pitcher. ;-D
duckmonkey
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Mugrila » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:12 am

Rotoworld wrote:B.J. Upton believes he'll return soon after leaving Thursday's game with a strained left shoulder.
"It's just a little strain," he said. Upton was hurt swinging at a pitch tonight. "I went out there and I asked if he had done this before and he said he had and that it normally goes away relatively quick," manager Joe Maddon said. "It didn't want to take a chance that it would be the one time it didn't go away relatively quick. I just think it's a day-to-day situation."

Doesn't sound too bad but I don't see him having much value in smaller leagues right now unless you can spare the roster space.
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby duckmonkey » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:32 am

He couldn't hit ML pitchers when he WAS healthy...and where are those steals every fantasy article promised? Oh yeah, you can't steal from the dugout... :-P
duckmonkey
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Great White Hype » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:30 pm

Yeah where have I heard this before.... "you can't steal first".. another D-Rays product, Joey Gathright
The Great White Hype
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Smileyman9 » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:36 pm

By now, everyone should have learned..or should now learn that minor league players don't always get promoted and storm the field. Most fantasy news writers have to write something to get paid - hence they'll write and hype up someone as a callup that'll change the league and is undeniably a keeper. I learned that lesson a few years back when BJ Upton was called up the first time...mostly because about a week before Upton was called up...some guy named David Wright was called up, I passed on Wright because I wanted Upton, the guy that was going to be the core of my keeper team....yeah. That worked out just fine ;-D ...... :~(

Lesson to learn, it's not bad to grab these guys...but never EVER depend on them to get you anything beyond sit on your bench.

Anyway. Eventually I think Upton will be solid...I'm not sold on him being an all-star or the key piece to the Devil Rays eventual 2025 Championship...but hey, give him time if you can afford to in a keeper league.

(PS - I do understand the disappointment with Upton right now, since I'm in first and was looking to gain some cushion points with his SB propelling me upwards...so much for that theory)
Smileyman9
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Return to Injuries & Player Updates