David Wright (Merged) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

David Wright (Merged)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Thursday » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:37 pm

teddy ballgame wrote:
Thursday wrote:Playing 3B gives him a little boost, but other than that, i'm not really sure.

I agreed with everything, until this. I don't quite understand this statement. 3B is one of the most stacked positions...if anything that makes him less valuable.

Well, i'm of the weird opinion that 3B may be more shallow in a couple of years. For now, yes, 3B is deeper, but in future terms, 3B depth may start to decrease. Just call me crazy. :-b

EDIT: Yeah, scratch that. You're right, teddy ballgame, i just looked over 3B's, and yes, Wright is hurt by playing at a deep position. I mis-spoke in my original post.
Thursday
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby chinst » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:08 pm

Unfortunately, Wright seems to be declining instead of coming out of his slump. He is swinging at pitches down and away out of the strike zone with increasing regularity. I believe his decline has less to do with a lack of protection and more to do with simple fatigue. He is on base to play more baseball than he ever has before. He also does a lot of charity work and makes public appearances for the Mets quite frequently. I believe I overheard Keith Hernandez talking about this the other day when the Mets were routed by the Phillies -- how Wright is burning the candle at both ends. Unfortunately, it is in Wright's nature to try to please everybody instead of taking time to rest himself. Also unfortunately, when asked if Wright and Reyes would receive more rest since they have never played so much before, manager Willie Randolph basically said no, because they're young guys so they don't need to rest.
chinst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Laean » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:13 pm

this post is ridiculously easy to answer, and that answer's already been given.

it's actually that atkins was a big steal in the draft, rather than wright being overrated.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jsphlly » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:44 am

Dave Wright and Jason Bay are breaking my heart. :~(
jsphlly
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby cordscords » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:11 am

It's called a slump. Even some of the best hitters in the leagues have slumps sometimes guys. Just wait it out, and Wright will be tearing it up again in no time.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby AmericanShipbuilding » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:25 am

It's called a slump. Even some of the best hitters in the leagues have slumps sometimes guys. Just wait it out, and Wright will be tearing it up again in no time.

In real life--or in May--this is good, sound advice. However, in fantasy, there are two weeks left of regular season, then playoffs. If your team is fighting for a playoff spot, how can you afford to carry dead weight? I would argue that Wright is one of the very best players in the game and will be for years to come, but for fantasy purposes, he is a bad gamble right now. He may begin "tearing it up in no time," or he may start seeing two days off a week to rest him for the playoffs (the Mets have no need to start him right now). But if your trade deadline is today, you have to think seriously about moving Wright for a player who will produce and help you RIGHT NOW.
AmericanShipbuilding
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers