100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

David Wright (Merged)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby brandnew » Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:36 pm

dyuen87 wrote:
brandnew wrote:Brian McCann > David Wright

:-b just like the Braves > Mets?

The problem with Wright is very simple. He's getting pull happy. Ever since the HR Derby he's been taking huge cuts and trying to pull the ball into left field. Everyone watching him since he came up obviously saw that he has great power to right and right/center. He used to just poke the ball over the right field wall. He went away from what made him good and until he goes back he'll go thru this power drought.

The Braves > Mets it's just their record sucks.

But McCann does normally have relations with David Wright's sister on a nightly basis. He pretty much owns David Wright in every sense of the word. Receipt and everything.

Yes those are my sigs... i think im going to concoct a new one soon, I'm getting tired of this one
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Why is Wright Right

Postby BritSox » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:00 pm

Drunken Rhino wrote:So I'm like many other people and am very high on David Wright, then I started owning him and am no longer sure about this guy.

On the season he is .306 avg, 381 obp, 536 slg with 76 22 86 15 R, HR, RBI and SB respectively. Not all that great for a 1st-2nd round pick.

On the other hand, I got Atkins as a late round pick and he's
.305 avg, 381 obp and 516 slg w/ 78 19 81 and 2 R HR RBI and SB respectively.

Is that -2 diff in R and +3 in HR and +5 in RBI and +13 in SB and +020 in slg really worth the difference in a 1st/2nd round guy and a guy who was generally picked in the 20th round or later?

Now don't give me the argument that Atkins plays in Coors b/c as we should all know by now, it plays as a pitcher's park this year.

Someone please sell me that Wright is right...

He's producing 1st-2nd round numbers. Just because someone else is producing the same numbers having been drafted lower, doesn't make him a bad pick. Did Derrek Lee's 05 make picking Pujols a mistake?
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby WhiteHot » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:49 pm

His production has really dropped off recently.
WhiteHot
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby pokerplaya » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:50 pm

Atkins is certainly underappreciated, and I'm just fine with that. At one point in my keeper I offered Teixiera, Figgins and Atkins just for Wright. I finally realized that I'm just fine with Atkins at 3rd, and just to sit tight and enjoy the ride even if I don't end up keeping him.

Two thumbs up for my 200th pick or so. ;-D
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby The Jury » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:53 pm

pokerplaya wrote:Atkins is certainly underappreciated, and I'm just fine with that. At one point in my keeper I offered Teixiera, Figgins and Atkins just for Wright. I finally realized that I'm just fine with Atkins at 3rd, and just to sit tight and enjoy the ride even if I don't end up keeping him.

Two thumbs up for my 200th pick or so. ;-D

Wow! If everyone in your league gets 200 picks, I think that qualifies as a deep league :-D
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby IllinoisBandit » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:00 pm

He may be a little overrated for this year, but I think he' about as much a lock as anyone to be great long-term. A joy to watch.
IllinoisBandit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Thursday » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:07 pm

A classic case of a better real-life player than a fantasy player. Wright is truly amazing to watch, i can't believe some of the defensive plays he makes. If i was building a franchise, no doubt Wright is among the top 5 dudes i'd want to have. However, for fantasy purposes, i don't think Wright is even the best at his own position. I think people hype this guy up a lot, but not really know why they do. Playing 3B gives him a little boost, but other than that, i'm not really sure.
Thursday
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Great White Hype » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:30 pm

Thursday I very much agree.. I love the way Wright plays the game and bought into the hype about his this year, and traded Beltran for him around the All Star game. It's like he's forgotten how to hit recently, I don't know if people are pitching around him and he's not being patient and taking his walks or what since he has little to no protection behind him, but its just frustrating, I expected more.
The Great White Hype
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby teddy ballgame » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:05 pm

Thursday wrote:Playing 3B gives him a little boost, but other than that, i'm not really sure.

I agreed with everything, until this. I don't quite understand this statement. 3B is one of the most stacked positions...if anything that makes him less valuable.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Why is Wright Right

Postby Jackalope » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:07 pm

Tavish wrote:That being said, I don't think the difference between the two players speaks much to Wright being overrated. It speaks volumes about how underappreciated Atkins has been this season. He will still likely be a teen-round pick next year with a good half dozen 3B picked in front of him. Chances are guys like Crede, Rolen, and Chipper will be taken ahead of him leaving a happy owner grabbing him for very cheap.

Agree'd Wright not over rated as much as Atkins is underrated. Althouh we need a hot streak from Wright please!
Jackalope
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers