My first top 100 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

My first top 100

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby shortsavage » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:30 pm

Thanks a lot for the input Jason.

Why don't you think Chris Young is a top 10 player?

I was having trouble placing college players. John Manuel and Jim Callis of BA have both recently said they think Andrew Miller is a top 20 pitcher for 2007 (Manuel said as high as #13 for him). Callis said he thinks Lincoln may be a top 5 pitching prospect entering 2007. My list is for 2007, not a snapshot of now. And I think these two 2006 draft picks will be in the top 20 for 2007.

Marte will continue to slide down my list at his current pace. I still think he'll have at least one hot week before the major league season is over.

I want to see Garza bring a better curveball to his next major league start. He could climb more, though. I should probably have him above Hirsh.

I like Kershaw and Niemann.

I'm also pretty into guys keeping afloat in levels that most guys their age have no business being in, so I like Andrus about where he is.

I've thought about moving Hurley above Diamond.

I think Humber is going to finish strong in AA...then you won't argue where I have him now.

Gallagher keeps climbing for me. I just need to keep learning more about him...heard his stuff has really improved this year.

Huber is the captain of my 5th tier right now, but he could be the captain of the 6th tier before long.

I'm not a big fan of Carter as a prospect...prolly the DH label. You're right, though, he should at least be near Huber. Another catcher to deal with (Montero)...maybe. I'll check out Wimberly and Campbell now.

Thanks for taking to time to give me some feedback.

I can't imagine putting Lind, Crowe or Iannetta ahead of Pie right now. I do really need to figure out how I am going to decide to mix hitter with pitchers...you'll see a lot of clusters on my sheet. Maybe there are some pitchers who I should have ahead of Pie.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rhd » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:28 pm

Nice list, shortsavage, especially the top half.

Interesting that you put Longoria at #4. At first, I thought this was way too high, but upon reflection, I'm not sure. It will beinteresting to see where BA puts him.

There are some players on the lower half that I dont think belong. Cyle Hankerd is putting up great numbers, but he is 21 y/o in a Short-season league, which is a bit old. I saw where he was just promoted to Hi-A. I'd like see how he does there before even considering him for a Top 100.

Greg Golson has lots of talent, but he's been pretty bad at Lo-A this year. He's doing better now at Hi-A but still bad overall. Also very bad plate discipline, worse than last year.

Ian Kennedy's stock has fallen a lot, plus I dont think he's signed. I dont think he belongs.

Brian Barton is having a very good year, but it's too early for him on a top 100. Even more true of Bryan LaHair.

Also, Penn will be brought up soon and only needs 12 IP to exhaust his eligibilty.

Some guys I would have included:
- James Loney (uncertain whether he'll get > 130 AB)
- Adam Jones (ditto)
- Nolan Reimold
- Sean Rodriguez
- Chris Parmelee (rt there w Snider)
- Jake McGee
- Chris Volstad

Also, if he's eligible, I would put Daisuke Matsuzaka high on the list.
rhd
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Webster11 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:07 pm

Pretty nice list. Here are some of the players I think should be moved a little bit

Longoria - Id probably bump him down to around #10 for the reasons discussed in the Longoria thread.

Brad Lincoln - Im a Pirates fan and Im rooting for Lincoln but this is very high. Id probably bump him down between 50-75

Most draft picks actually - I feel theyre all a little high.

Brandon Erbe - I think he belongs in that same sluster as Pelfrey, Gollardo, Adenhart etc. Hes only 18 and has a great K/9.

Hunter Pence - Id probably bump him up to around 10

Matt Garza - Bump up to the mid 20s or so

Diamond - Hurley is the better prospect like someone else mentioned Id put Hurley in Diamonds spot and move Diamond down.

Guerra - Ill admit I dont know much about about him and thats the reason he wouldnt be this high on my list

Saltalamachia - I think he should be bumped up he struggled but hes picked it up of late and was a top 25 guy before the season

Neil Walker - I think he deserves a spot

All in all the rankings are good and most of the changes are smaller ones based on personal preferences although I think alot of the recnt draft picks are a bit overrated
Webster11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ukjohn » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:47 pm

no opinions of my top 50 :,-(

lol
"I'm out like a fat girl in dodge ball"
ukjohn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Webster11 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:03 pm

ukjohn wrote:no opinions of my top 50 :,-(

lol

Haha didnt even notice, Ill comment tommorrow :-b
Webster11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby J35J » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:40 am

shortsavage wrote:Thanks a lot for the input Jason.

Why don't you think Chris Young is a top 10 player?

I have trouble putting a career .266 minor leaguer in my top 10, he does have alot of talent and potential but......

I was having trouble placing college players. John Manuel and Jim Callis of BA have both recently said they think Andrew Miller is a top 20 pitcher for 2007 (Manuel said as high as #13 for him). Callis said he thinks Lincoln may be a top 5 pitching prospect entering 2007. My list is for 2007, not a snapshot of now. And I think these two 2006 draft picks will be in the top 20 for 2007.

BA always has the new crop of players every year ranked much higher than they should be. Just not high on Miller for whatever reason, lack of secondary pitches, slight of build (injuries) or whatever, just someone I'm going to be leary of for a while. Also for the other newly drafted players, I'm just going to be a little leary of ranking high until I see more from them.

Marte will continue to slide down my list at his current pace. I still think he'll have at least one hot week before the major league season is over.

Marte has been overhyped most of his career, sure he has been fairly young for each level hes been at but he hasn't produced to the level of his hype. Hes a career .273 minor leaguer who hasn't hit over .285 in the minors or had over a .878 ops in the minors. And he has been awesome in the bigs, though it hasn't been too many ABs (100 career ABs, .133 avg)

I want to see Garza bring a better curveball to his next major league start. He could climb more, though. I should probably have him above Hirsh.

I think Garza is slightly overhyped as well but I'll take him over most of the newly drafted pitchers.

I like Kershaw and Niemann.

Just need to see something from both of these guys......

I'm also pretty into guys keeping afloat in levels that most guys their age have no business being in, so I like Andrus about where he is.

Andrus has done nothing.

I've thought about moving Hurley above Diamond.

I think Diamond is garbage, he couldn't throw a strike if he had too.

I think Humber is going to finish strong in AA...then you won't argue where I have him now.

Humber has been doing better but he is still going off of what he did in college, he needs to show me more.

Gallagher keeps climbing for me. I just need to keep learning more about him...heard his stuff has really improved this year.

He was solid last year and is solid this year, there isn't much to not like.

Huber is the captain of my 5th tier right now, but he could be the captain of the 6th tier before long.

Just really not impressed with him, moreso for fantasy purposes than real life.

I'm not a big fan of Carter as a prospect...prolly the DH label. You're right, though, he should at least be near Huber. Another catcher to deal with (Montero)...maybe. I'll check out Wimberly and Campbell now.

Carter can rake and has good plate discipline, definately would take him over Huber.

Thanks for taking to time to give me some feedback.

No problem, I like your list but everyone will have different opinions on some things and really no one is wrong because these guys could all be good or could all flame out.

I can't imagine putting Lind, Crowe or Iannetta ahead of Pie right now. I do really need to figure out how I am going to decide to mix hitter with pitchers...you'll see a lot of clusters on my sheet. Maybe there are some pitchers who I should have ahead of Pie.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 375)

Postby rmande09 » Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:14 pm

Kershaw is the second-best pitching prospect out of the draft behind Miller. Lincoln? Hochevar? I am shocked at how Lincoln ranked as high as he did on your list. He does not belong where he does. I really don't have much to say about this list because, quite frankly, I'm uninterested, but you overvalued the 2006 draftees, especially the pitchers, way too much. Kershaw is probably around 30, where you have him, and Miller around 15-18 works, but the rest of the guys should be below. I don't like Longoria at 4, as two months does not change the fact he was looked at no more than a good regular, but he probably would be in my top 12. LaRoche, as usual, is getting the shaft, how, I'm not sure. Easily a top 16 prospect. He has 35+ homer potential, and the only knock on him prior to the season was his contact and patience. He's more than answered that, as his BB:K ratio this season has been GREAT - it is more than 1 BB per K. That is fantastic. Not to mention his BA is awesome. I'm not sure Garza belongs as low as he does, I mean... That's CLEARLY because he has been less than stellar in his MLB starts, which is the wrong way to do it. The kid started at A+ ball and dominated THREE levels in one year - DOMINATED. He deserves to be the next prospect behind Hughes and Bailey. His curveball is awesome - did you even watch his starts? He features a very good fastball, mid-90s, and a curveball that is sharp, tight, and SLOW. It's around 70 MPH. And he doesn't tip it. His only issues in his two starts have been control, something that can easily be attributed to nervousness (see Hirsh, Jason).
C: Pierzynski
1B: Pujols
2B: Altuve
3B: Miggy
SS: HanRam
OF (x3): CarGo, M. Bourn, D. Jennings
UTIL (x2): E. Encarnacion, C. Hart
BN: Cuddyer, C. Ross, J. Montero

SP: Price, Gallardo, T. Hudson, Lester
RP: Chapman, Jansen, Rodney, Putz, Cishek, Bailey
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby J35J » Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:22 pm

rmande09 wrote:Kershaw is the second-best pitching prospect out of the draft behind Miller. Lincoln? Hochevar? I am shocked at how Lincoln ranked as high as he did on your list. He does not belong where he does. I really don't have much to say about this list because, quite frankly, I'm uninterested, but you overvalued the 2006 draftees, especially the pitchers, way too much. Kershaw is probably around 30, where you have him, and Miller around 15-18 works, but the rest of the guys should be below. I don't like Longoria at 4, as two months does not change the fact he was looked at no more than a good regular, but he probably would be in my top 12. LaRoche, as usual, is getting the shaft, how, I'm not sure. Easily a top 16 prospect. He has 35+ homer potential, and the only knock on him prior to the season was his contact and patience. He's more than answered that, as his BB:K ratio this season has been GREAT - it is more than 1 BB per K. That is fantastic. Not to mention his BA is awesome. I'm not sure Garza belongs as low as he does, I mean... That's CLEARLY because he has been less than stellar in his MLB starts, which is the wrong way to do it. The kid started at A+ ball and dominated THREE levels in one year - DOMINATED. He deserves to be the next prospect behind Hughes and Bailey. His curveball is awesome - did you even watch his starts? He features a very good fastball, mid-90s, and a curveball that is sharp, tight, and SLOW. It's around 70 MPH. And he doesn't tip it. His only issues in his two starts have been control, something that can easily be attributed to nervousness (see Hirsh, Jason).

Very nice post, I agree with all of this, except maybe for Miller being top 20. :-D

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 375)

Postby lemusdengus » Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:23 pm

davidmarver wrote:I think Felix Pie is far too high on those lists for the #s he's been putting up.

I'd drop Pie down a little too.
lemusdengus
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Hockey

Postby rmande09 » Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:38 pm

J35J wrote:Very nice post, I agree with all of this, except maybe for Miller being top 20. :-D

Jason

I question what Miller will do as well, but it is really, really hard for me to ignore the fact that he is a 6'7", skinny-as-**** lefty that throws 95-98 with an awesome slider. His control and development of another pitch worry me, but even if he can get his change to average and improves his control slightly I think he could be dominant. I also don't think it's unlikely that he'll gain another MPH or two on his fastball because he is just so skinny.
C: Pierzynski
1B: Pujols
2B: Altuve
3B: Miggy
SS: HanRam
OF (x3): CarGo, M. Bourn, D. Jennings
UTIL (x2): E. Encarnacion, C. Hart
BN: Cuddyer, C. Ross, J. Montero

SP: Price, Gallardo, T. Hudson, Lester
RP: Chapman, Jansen, Rodney, Putz, Cishek, Bailey
rmande09
Minor League Mentor