MLB Post Season Awards - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

MLB Post Season Awards

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby demoflauchy » Tue Sep 09, 2003 3:49 pm

jdh wrote:NL Cy Young: Gagne (if Dodgers make playoffs or he breaks the record, otherwise, Schmidt)
NL MVP: Bonds
NL ROY: Webb
NL Mgr of the Year: MacKeon

AL Cy Young: Loaiza (if ChiSox make the playoffs, otherwise, Hudson)
AL MVP: Garciaparra
AL ROY: Berroa
AL Mgr of the Year: Pena

JDH- Why is it your perception that the CY is based upon a team making the playoffs? I can see the argument for MVP, but I don't remember the CY taking that same course. Can you explain a bit?

Thanks ;-D
demoflauchy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jdh » Tue Sep 09, 2003 4:51 pm

demoflauchy wrote:
jdh wrote:NL Cy Young: Gagne (if Dodgers make playoffs or he breaks the record, otherwise, Schmidt)

JDH- Why is it your perception that the CY is based upon a team making the playoffs? I can see the argument for MVP, but I don't remember the CY taking that same course. Can you explain a bit?

Thanks ;-D

Wel, it definitely is not included in the official criteria for either Cy Young or MVP that a player's team making the playoffs means anything. However, the voters are sports writers, and they can be swayed as much by intangibles, such as clutch performance down the stretch, carrying your team to the playoffs, etc as they are by raw statistics. That's why you rarely see an MVP winner or a Cy Young winner on a losing team, and 75% of the time, they're on a team that makes the playoffs. Numbers don't tell the whole story of overall value, and unless the numbers for a player on a team that misses the playoffs are overwhelming, the award will go to the player on the team that makes it.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby demoflauchy » Tue Sep 09, 2003 5:00 pm

jdh wrote:
demoflauchy wrote:

Thanks ;-D

Wel, it definitely is not included in the official criteria for either Cy Young or MVP that a player's team making the playoffs means anything. However, the voters are sports writers, and they can be swayed as much by intangibles, such as clutch performance down the stretch, carrying your team to the playoffs, etc as they are by raw statistics. That's why you rarely see an MVP winner or a Cy Young winner on a losing team, and 75% of the time, they're on a team that makes the playoffs. Numbers don't tell the whole story of overall value, and unless the numbers for a player on a team that misses the playoffs are overwhelming, the award will go to the player on the team that makes it.

Good thoughts. I just wasn't sure if you were thinking from the voter's perspective or from historical reference. You cleared both of those thoughts up!

It does go without saying that most players that get the publicity are the ones on winning teams, or who are flashy (ie Willis vs. Webb).
demoflauchy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby d » Wed Sep 10, 2003 3:38 am

pkarr5000 wrote:a rod
loaiza

pujols
gagne
:-) Agreed
d
Major League Manager