When did Fnatasy Baseball start? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

When did Fnatasy Baseball start?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Sep 08, 2003 9:56 pm

Madison wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
Madison wrote:Thanks for the article LCBOY. I know I played my first league through the mail. 8-o Weekly lineup changes and all. Got a copy of the standings once a week. Seems like the stone age now. :-b

I did a fantasy hockey league through the mail and phone. :-D

I still can't believe I played without up to the minute updates. :-D My how things change. ;-)

I would definitely have a heart attack if not for StatTracker and Yahoo's constant mess ups. :-D

I used to have to wait until Sunday or Monday night to listen to a recording of who I got as an FA and how many points I got for the week. Then, they would mail out the stats. :-o
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Mon Sep 08, 2003 10:02 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
Madison wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
Madison wrote:Thanks for the article LCBOY. I know I played my first league through the mail. 8-o Weekly lineup changes and all. Got a copy of the standings once a week. Seems like the stone age now. :-b

I did a fantasy hockey league through the mail and phone. :-D

I still can't believe I played without up to the minute updates. :-D My how things change. ;-)

I would definitely have a heart attack if not for StatTracker and Yahoo's constant mess ups. :-D

I used to have to wait until Sunday or Monday night to listen to a recording of who I got as an FA and how many points I got for the week. Then, they would mail out the stats. :-o

Lol. :-D I agree. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby HOOTIE » Tue Sep 09, 2003 1:58 am

Things were alot different in the 80's. There were few magazines out. There was no BB Tonight. You watched Sportscenter. The USA Today caught on, and published expanded boxscores with team by team reports. Because of fantasy bb popularity, BB Tonight was created in 1990. Of course that spawned the old BB Weekly.
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby ramble2 » Tue Sep 09, 2003 3:08 am

Ugh, I remember having to hand calculate the weekly standings from the Tuesday and Wednesday USA Today editions. (I think those were the days that the AL and NL stats, respectively, were published).

Dealing with trades or drops was a huge pain. Players stats stayed with you (or didn't start) until after the USA Today stats could be entered for that week. We didn't allow any players to sit on the bench, everyone on your team always played. Because dealing with drops and pickups was such a pain we had to institute a $1 transaction fee (we were all in college, and had no money, so this was a big deal).

Eventually I put together Excel Spreadsheets which made keeping track of everything much much easier. Still, though, me and my co-commissioner had to hand enter all the data each week.

Fantasy baseball is so much easier with the internet. It's just more fun to watch how your team unfolds as the games progress.

I still have my old Excel Sheets, but never use them. I've even created some new ones, but those are more for strategy. Especially in H2H leagues. I've got a couple of spreadsheets which track which teams are hot, which category I am dominant in, whether my wins (or losses) are anomalies or truly reflective of my team. They are pretty simple to make, and for an old hand who is used to entering weekly info into a spreadsheet, they are a breeze to keep up to date. Perhaps I'll post them somewhere if we ever get a downloads section on the Cafe.
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 6)

Postby demoflauchy » Tue Sep 09, 2003 10:39 am

ramble2 wrote:Ugh, I remember having to hand calculate the weekly standings from the Tuesday and Wednesday USA Today editions. (I think those were the days that the AL and NL stats, respectively, were published).

Dealing with trades or drops was a huge pain. Players stats stayed with you (or didn't start) until after the USA Today stats could be entered for that week. We didn't allow any players to sit on the bench, everyone on your team always played. Because dealing with drops and pickups was such a pain we had to institute a $1 transaction fee (we were all in college, and had no money, so this was a big deal).

Eventually I put together Excel Spreadsheets which made keeping track of everything much much easier. Still, though, me and my co-commissioner had to hand enter all the data each week.

Fantasy baseball is so much easier with the internet. It's just more fun to watch how your team unfolds as the games progress.

I still have my old Excel Sheets, but never use them. I've even created some new ones, but those are more for strategy. Especially in H2H leagues. I've got a couple of spreadsheets which track which teams are hot, which category I am dominant in, whether my wins (or losses) are anomalies or truly reflective of my team. They are pretty simple to make, and for an old hand who is used to entering weekly info into a spreadsheet, they are a breeze to keep up to date. Perhaps I'll post them somewhere if we ever get a downloads section on the Cafe.

I'd love to see those spreadsheets you created. Post them somewhere or PM me and I'll host the download...
demoflauchy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby LCBOY » Tue Sep 09, 2003 7:24 pm

Wow! Some of you guys have been playing fantasy baseball for a very long time! ;-D
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Shitney™ » Tue Sep 09, 2003 7:29 pm

i remember the old days when me and my league mates would have to be at each game to record the stats... then we'd use the telegraph to send the results to each other

;-)
Shitney™
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Madison » Tue Sep 09, 2003 7:33 pm

Shitney™ wrote:i remember the old days when me and my league mates would have to be at each game to record the stats... then we'd use the telegraph to send the results to each other

;-)

And tickets were only two-bits right? :-D Lol. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby LCBOY » Tue Sep 09, 2003 7:38 pm

Shitney™ wrote:i remember the old days when me and my league mates would have to be at each game to record the stats... then we'd use the telegraph to send the results to each other

;-)

Did Ty Cobb or Honus Wagner go #1 in the draft? ;-)
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Madison » Tue Sep 09, 2003 7:40 pm

;-)

Did you witness the Black Sox scandal? :-D Lol. :-b
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers