justin verlander - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

justin verlander

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

justin verlander

Postby bigmoney » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:57 am

I'm getting really nervous about this guy. After coming back from his "fatigue" issues, he has struggled big time. I watched the game last night and didn't see anything wrong with him, so is it possible that he's just hit a rookie wall?

What are your projections for his numbers the rest of the way, is 3.50era and 1.25whip too optimstic?
bigmoney
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Philliebuster » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:35 am

Yeah, the 7 walks are a bit troublesome....however I do like this sportsline comment regarding Verlander:

The Rookie of the Year candidate remains a must-start in all leagues but seems to be cooling off. You already got your money's worth, so just deal with it.
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigmoney » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:02 am

Philliebuster wrote:Yeah, the 7 walks are a bit troublesome....however I do like this sportsline comment regarding Verlander:

The Rookie of the Year candidate remains a must-start in all leagues but seems to be cooling off. You already got your money's worth, so just deal with it.

I'm not a believer that you can be content with a player down the road since "you already got your money's worth". His wins and era earlier in the season won't matter for me down the stretch. If Verlander is going to struggle for the rest of the season, then I'll sell him high. So, that quote really doesn't mean much of anything...
bigmoney
College Coach
College Coach

Postby balmlb119 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:06 am

I traded Verlander, Holliday, and Atkins for Jeter, Weaver, and Fielder right before our trading deadline. It's a keeper league too... ;-D
balmlb119
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Mashug » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:13 am

balmlb119 wrote:I traded Verlander, Holliday, and Atkins for Jeter, Weaver, and Fielder right before our trading deadline. It's a keeper league too... ;-D

Excellent trade for you. I like both Weaver and Verlander about the same
Mashug
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Philliebuster » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:20 am

bigmoney wrote:
Philliebuster wrote:Yeah, the 7 walks are a bit troublesome....however I do like this sportsline comment regarding Verlander:

I'm not a believer that you can be content with a player down the road since "you already got your money's worth". His wins and era earlier in the season won't matter for me down the stretch. If Verlander is going to struggle for the rest of the season, then I'll sell him high. So, that quote really doesn't mean much of anything...

You are correct, shouldn't wait to long to "sell him high" another bad start and that may be difficult.
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby 5 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:32 pm

His last two games came against White Sox (he has trouble with them) with rumors of tipped pitches and then yesterday against the Red Sox...in a must win or be swept game.

I'm keeping an eye on him but not "worried" just yet.
General Manager
General Manager

Postby pangbones » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:35 pm

5 wrote:His last two games came against White Sox (he has trouble with them) with rumors of tipped pitches and then yesterday against the Red Sox...in a must win or be swept game.

I'm keeping an eye on him but not "worried" just yet.

I sat him against both teams. I'm not worried yet, but I have been concerned about his Innings for weeks, and am very concerned now. I tried to trade him, and couldn't get what I wanted for him, so I just kept him and will hope for the best. :-o
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby markj11 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:37 pm

I was a little worried a couple weeks ago when I traded Verlander/Garciaparra for Glaus/Peavy but its looking good so far. Numbers since trade:
Peavy
19.1IP 1W 18K 1.86ERA 1.24WHIP

Verlander
11.0IP 0W 6K 7.36ERA 2.36WHIP
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Injuries & Player Updates