Start Giambi or Aubrey Huff? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Start Giambi or Aubrey Huff?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Start Giambi or Aubrey Huff?

Postby guest » Mon Sep 08, 2003 4:43 pm

I acquired Huff today in a roto league, since I was worried about Giambi's terrible slump of late. I'm up by a bit in HR and RBI, but I need to make up ground in AVG. When I got him it wasn't much of a question whether or not I should start Huff from tomorrow until whenever Giambi snaps out of it, but Giambi went 2-3 with 2 BB today... Is he out of his slump? More importantly, should I keep Huff in the lineup over him?

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby demoflauchy » Mon Sep 08, 2003 5:04 pm

I'd play Huff until Giambi starts hitting again.
demoflauchy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pkarr5000 » Mon Sep 08, 2003 5:08 pm

start jason
pkarr5000
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Madison » Mon Sep 08, 2003 5:16 pm

8-o Um...... :-? Well......... :*) I don't know. :,-(

Huff is on fire, but how do you bench a stud like Giambi? Post your roster, maybe we can work something out. ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby DK » Mon Sep 08, 2003 5:26 pm

go with Gi.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby jdh » Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:02 pm

I think its too risky to bench someone like Giambi, especially with his upcoming games against Detroit and Tampa pitching I think this week. You would never be able to forgive yourself if you benched him and he goes off for like a 8 HR week, which is very possible with him. I would still try to find a way to get Huff into your lineup, possibly in a utility slot, or starting him over one of your OF, if you post your lineup. If you have an OF like Andruw Jones or Edmonds, who has done nothing in the second half and likely will miss time this week, he'd be a good start over them.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby guest » Mon Sep 08, 2003 7:30 pm

Well... My problem is that I'm down in AVG and SB, so I can't bench a lot of marginal guys I'd sit otherwise. I have a 1B slot, 3 OF slots, and a Util slot...

1B: Giambi
SS: A-Rod
OF: Podsednik
OF: Crawford
OF: Manny Ramirez
Util: Renteria

Given my position the most benchable seems to be Giambi at this point, but he isn't exactly a scrub either ...

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby jdh » Mon Sep 08, 2003 7:37 pm

Well, Podsednik and Crawford should combine to give you plenty of SB output. I'd probably be inclined to sit Renteria before I sit Giambi, because Renteria has been in an awful slump, hitting .192 so far in September, and he has only stolen 3 bases since July, so he isn't really helping in that category. Giambi is a better bet than Renteria with both slumping, because even when he's hot Renteria isn't the same kind of power hitter than Giambi is, and with him batting 6th or 7th usually, doesn't have the same RBI and run chances that the Yankees cleanup hitter does. I'd bench Renteria for Huff for now.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ramble2 » Mon Sep 08, 2003 7:50 pm

I agree with jdh. Renteria should be benched rather than Giambi. Giambi has been killing me, but he's going to be hitting against Detroit and Tampa pitching this week. Personally, if Giambi doesn't get it done this week then I am benching him until I see improvement. Giambi's career against Detroit pitching is very good (in 244 ABs: career avg: .340; career OPS: 1.165). This will be a good test to see if his bum hand warrants making him ride the pine.
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Madison » Mon Sep 08, 2003 7:53 pm

Renteria is the one to sit in this spot. Giambi has a very weak schedule ahead of him and should do well. Renteria is slumping. I'd go with Giambi over Renteria for this week.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers