Griffey Jr: family concerns - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Griffey Jr: family concerns

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Griffey Jr: family concerns

Postby The Big Train » Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:36 am

Terrible news, I feel for him... heads up if you own him, it could affect his playing time a bit.

MLB.com

ST. LOUIS -- Ken Griffey, Jr. has endured a very difficult week. Over the last few days, Griffey found out his dad has an early form of prostate cancer and his mom will need colon cancer surgery.
Alternating short, quiet sentences with long pauses, Griffey discussed his family's situation before Wednesday's game against the Cardinals.

"When it's not one of your parents, it's both of your parents ..." Griffey said. "It's been tough."

Griffey's dad, former Reds star Ken Griffey Sr., showed up Sunday in Philadelphia and told his son the news. Junior saw his mother the next day.

His mother, Alberta, has asked Griffey to continue playing baseball. He was in the starting lineup both Tuesday and Wednesday night against the Cardinals.

Manager Jerry Narron, though, wouldn't have a problem if Griffey wanted to spend time with his family.

"He wouldn't be human if it didn't affect him. If he wanted to take tomorrow off, I don't think anyone would have a problem," Narron said.

Griffey, batting .242 with 23 homers and 64 RBIs, said he doesn't know what he will do the next couple days.

"It would be up to her," Griffey said. "There is still a possibility. I am her oldest son."

He also is uncertain about his father's -- a member of the Reds' famed Big Red Machine -- next steps.

"I don't know," he said. "He has to see another doctor."

Griffey also understands his role on a team in the middle of the pennant race.

"I have a responsibility to guys in the clubhouse," Griffey said. "Some situations are tougher than others. I am just trying to deal with it the best way I know how."
Image + Image = 762

"Trying to hit him was like trying to drink coffee with a fork." - Willie Stargell on Sandy Koufax
The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Richie Rich » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:22 pm

thoughts and prayers are with he and his family....
C:Sandoval 1B:Teixeira 2B:Ramirez 3B:Huff SS:Rollins OF:Crawford OF:Markakis OF:Kemp U:Holliday U:Morneau B: Werth DL: Lowell
SP Billingsley Shields Verlander Lackey Romero Hughes
RP Cordero Bell Bailey Francisco
DL Dempster
Richie Rich
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BOWSER » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:25 pm

Richie Rich wrote:thoughts and prayers are with he and his family....
absolutely....thats tough...God Bless the Griffey family
BOWSER
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Injuries & Player Updates