Jim Edmonds - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Jim Edmonds

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jim Edmonds

Postby Starkmadfan » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:13 pm

From Rotowire:

Edmonds was diagnosed with post-concussion syndrome Wednesday, one day after leaving a game because of dizziness and blurred vision, the Associated Press reports. Edmonds was not in the starting lineup Wednesday night against Cincinnati, and the Cardinals said he was day to day. Edmonds has had intermittent bouts of dizziness, blurred vision and nausea since suffering a slight concussion June 21 after running into an outfield wall. His condition forced him out of Tuesday's game in the fifth inning, though he was so out of it he thought it was still the second inning.

Sportsline has a similar report - what do folks think - does this mean Edmonds will be out of it for the next couple of weeks? Or is this something he can recover in a few days?
Help me out here? : http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2321827#2321827

Artwork by madaslives911
Starkmadfan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby duckmonkey » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:39 am

I read that he's out "indefinately".

I am really going to have to consider dropping him for another pitcher with the playoffs coming up. Even if he goes to DL, I have Matsui and Liriano in my 2 DL spots already and I can't drop those guys.
duckmonkey
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Starkmadfan » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:42 am

duckmonkey wrote:I read that he's out "indefinately".

I am really going to have to consider dropping him for another pitcher with the playoffs coming up. Even if he goes to DL, I have Matsui and Liriano in my 2 DL spots already and I can't drop those guys.

Exact same problem for me regarding Liriano - if Edmonds is out indefinately.....hate having to cut him and find out he recovers in a week and starts hitting HRs again - I had grabbed Edmonds just before his mid season HR tear but after someone bailed on him already........
Help me out here? : http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2321827#2321827

Artwork by madaslives911
Starkmadfan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby duckmonkey » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:49 am

Starkmadfan wrote:I had grabbed Edmonds just before his mid season HR tear but after someone bailed on him already........

Yup. :-o
duckmonkey
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:43 pm

:-° luckily i traded him away after his june concussion. but hope jimmy gets well soon. all that crashing into the wall is gonna take its toll.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby mushman05 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:21 pm

My playoffs started Monday and like the jackbag I am, I DH'd Edmonds over serviceable options such as Chavez and Overbay. This one stings...I'm really hoping he gets back in the lineup for at least one or two games this weekend but thats highly doubtful at this point.
**2006 Summer Bums League Champion**
mushman05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Starkmadfan » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:51 pm

From Sportsline:

News: The Cardinals won Thursday without Jim Edmonds, who missed his second consecutive game because of post-concussion syndrome, although trainer Barry Weinberg said Edmonds was feeling better and could play Friday in the opener of a three-game series at Chicago.

Analysis: Edmonds should be fine for Fantasy Week 21 (Aug. 21-27). Track his progress through the weekend, though, and be wary of his dizzy spells down the road.

Artwork by madaslives911
Starkmadfan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Big Train » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:08 pm

MLB.com

ST. LOUIS -- As Jim Edmonds attempts to get back to a point where he's able to play baseball, the Cardinals are assessing their options for making do without the All-Star center fielder.

As of Thursday morning, Edmonds was still awaiting the results of the last few tests he underwent. The club is proceeding on the belief that Edmonds has post-concussion syndrome. The blood tests were taken in order to rule out conditions such as hypoglycemia or diabetes.

Post-concussion syndrome is a serious ailment, and it's unclear when Edmonds will be able to return. According to manager Tony La Russa, however, there will be no delay in putting Edmonds in the lineup once his symptoms clear.

"If he feels good, he'll play," La Russa said. "If he worked out today and felt good, I'd play him."

Edmonds, however, definitely doesn't feel good just yet. He acknowledged some improvement on Thursday, but nowhere near enough to play.

"It's hard for me to eat some days," he said. "Food doesn't taste very good. It's been a weird situation."

Edmonds left Tuesday's game in the fifth inning. He missed three games in Chicago after a concussion on June 21, and he speculated Wednesday that a diving catch may have aggravated the situation in the past week.

So Taguchi started in center field on Thursday, with Juan Encarnacion in right. The two will split time in Edmonds' absence.

"I think if you want another bat in the lineup, you can move Juan to center," La Russa said.

Another option will likely be added shortly. John Rodriguez is likely to return from Triple-A Memphis soon, possibly as soon as Saturday. That's when his minimum 10-day stint in the Minors comes to an end. The best offensive combination that the Cardinals could field in the outfield would be Rodriguez, Chris Duncan and Encarnacion.
Image + Image = 762

"Trying to hit him was like trying to drink coffee with a fork." - Willie Stargell on Sandy Koufax
The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby West Coast Fan » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:27 am

Giants catcher Mike Matheny has been out for MONTHS with this Post Concussion Syndrome stuff, so I'm pretty concerned that Edmonds could be out for awhile, or if he comes back, could really hurt his career. Plus the Cardinals may not DL him which would really mess with my team.
West Coast Fan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Starkmadfan » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:23 am

West Coast Fan wrote:Giants catcher Mike Matheny has been out for MONTHS with this Post Concussion Syndrome stuff, so I'm pretty concerned that Edmonds could be out for awhile, or if he comes back, could really hurt his career. Plus the Cardinals may not DL him which would really mess with my team.

Ugh - and since I have to set my lineups a week at a time, I got to make a decision by Sunday night.......if Edmonds doesnt return to the lineup by Sunday, I guess I have to drop him :~( - my leagues dont have DL and I am already using a bench spot for Liriano.

Artwork by madaslives911
Starkmadfan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates