acs? need your help here... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

acs? need your help here...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

acs? need your help here...

Postby PlayingWithFire » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:16 pm

I remember going to a tech support(or virus support) forums of some sort in the past because I had a virus with my IE(pop up every 5 minutes even if my IE isn't on, what's the virus called?) and they were able to assist me and completely fix the problem. But I don't remember the forum right now. If you know some good tech support forums, can you(or anybody else that knows anything about this sort of things) post it here? This laptop I have here is a mess.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby teddy ballgame » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:34 pm

Sounds like spyware. Try searching for Microsoft Anti-Spyware, download that, and run a scan.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:22 am

you mean hijackthis?

oh, and when you get it fixed, please dont use IE again. that will solve most if not all of your spyware problems. get firefox. the best thing to do in serious cases is a reformat/reinstall, imo. spyware nowadays are really stubborn and hard to totally clean.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby PlayingWithFire » Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:14 am

and the site is geekstogo.com/

They were extremely helpful the last time around. If there's a problem with the site, now would be the time to tell me. But I think they are nice people :-)

took me forever to find it though
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:40 am

BitterDodgerFan wrote:you mean hijackthis?

oh, and when you get it fixed, please dont use IE again. that will solve most if not all of your spyware problems. get firefox. the best thing to do in serious cases is a reformat/reinstall, imo. spyware nowadays are really stubborn and hard to totally clean.

Unless you're suggesting he use Opera, then it really doesn't matter what browser he's using. Someone posted the truth instead of the myths around here somewhere.

Also, I wouldn't suggest he use HiJackthis. Fairly complicated program and you can do serious damage if you play around with it without knowing what you're doing. ;-)

Spybot and Ad-Aware work fairly well. Once you get your computer all cleaned up, I'd make sure to install at least one firewall. That will help stop this from happening again.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:04 pm

well i suggested firefox because the way how many spywares take advantages of vulnerabilities in IE to install themselves. like activeX holes or IE toolbar holes. i dont know if they have been patched up yet, but not too long ago, using IE was just asking for virus/spyware. with firefox, i never got infected through browsing.

i dont think lavasoft's adaware is that good of a program. i hear the best one is spysweeper. anyways, good luck fixing your pc. hopefully its not beyond the point of no repair.

also i was wondering, if you have system restore enabled and if you have recent restore points, maybe you can just go back a day or two before you got infected?

i havent read the truth instead of myth, can you point me to it? i'll vouch for firefox(mozilla) anyday, as ive been using mozilla since 2000 and never really had problems with virus/spyware. IE on the other hand, i would not recommend anyone use it, except for certain cases where it is a must.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby acsguitar » Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:34 pm

Good computer forums eh...Well I search more hardware ones but they should be able to help you here.

lets see:

http://forums.anandtech.com/

http://www.devhardware.com/forums/
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Madison » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:25 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:well i suggested firefox because the way how many spywares take advantages of vulnerabilities in IE to install themselves. like activeX holes or IE toolbar holes. i dont know if they have been patched up yet, but not too long ago, using IE was just asking for virus/spyware. with firefox, i never got infected through browsing.

i dont think lavasoft's adaware is that good of a program. i hear the best one is spysweeper. anyways, good luck fixing your pc. hopefully its not beyond the point of no repair.

also i was wondering, if you have system restore enabled and if you have recent restore points, maybe you can just go back a day or two before you got infected?

i havent read the truth instead of myth, can you point me to it? i'll vouch for firefox(mozilla) anyday, as ive been using mozilla since 2000 and never really had problems with virus/spyware. IE on the other hand, i would not recommend anyone use it, except for certain cases where it is a must.

Restore point is a good idea. ;-D That could fix his problem. ;-D

As to the Firefox myths a simple search (at the top in blue) would have found it, but here you go:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/FirefoxMyths.html

Make sure to scroll down to the security part and you'll get gems like this complete with links:

Myth - "Firefox is Secure" - Example

Reality - Firefox is anything but Secure with multiple unpatched vulnerabilities allowing exposure of sensitive data to local users.

Amazing how quickly myths move and spread with no one checking the facts behind the claims. I'd say something about "sheep", but that's Wrveres's line. :-b
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Big Pimpin » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:57 pm

Since wr can't come in here anymore, I can help you Mad...

Image BAA!

:-D
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Tavish » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:59 pm

Madison wrote:As to the Firefox myths a simple search (at the top in blue) would have found it, but here you go:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/FirefoxMyths.html

Make sure to scroll down to the security part and you'll get gems like this complete with links:

Myth - "Firefox is Secure" - Example

Reality - Firefox is anything but Secure with multiple unpatched vulnerabilities allowing exposure of sensitive data to local users.

Amazing how quickly myths move and spread with no one checking the facts behind the claims. I'd say something about "sheep", but that's Wrveres's line. :-b

Before you start calling everyone sheep and suggesting they research the facts about Firefox might I suggest the same to you about the facts behind "Firefox Myths"? In many cases his statements very inaccurate, in some cases they are outright fabrications.

*format edit*
Last edited by Tavish on Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Next

Return to General Talk