Alfonso Soriano placed on Waivers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Alfonso Soriano placed on Waivers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby mikhayl » Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:46 pm

I disagree that this is standard operating procedure in this case. Bowden's been adamant about the Nat's intention to resign Soriano to an extension. Every negotiation so far has stalled because Soriano wants a NTC and Stan Kasten refuses to give an NTC to anyone in the organization.

Soriano, at least publicly, has been saying all the right things and saying that he wants to stay in DC long term. Exposing him to waivers at this point is done in very bad faith to Soriano's public stance on his future. What is the organization saying? On its face it looks like they're punishing a player who is willing to stick it out with a rebuilding club. It's like they're throwing his request for stability in his face.

My take: Bowden screwed up very very badly by not trading him on the 31st.
Let's go O's. Let's go Mets.
mikhayl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dannomyte » Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:45 pm

CBV wrote:
pappymojo wrote:
d18Mike wrote:Wonder if DET's loss of Polanco for the year and recent offensive struggles changes their level of interest in Soriano?

The Soriano for Maybin deal the Nats proposed a few weeks ago must be looking at least a little more attractive at this point.

I would think that Chicago would put a claim on him before Detroit ever got the chance just to keep him from going to the Tigers.

no way in hell...D Town doesnt have the payroll to make such a move.

I'm not sure what you're smoking but the Tigers absolutely have the money to add Soriano and/or any other player. Had the Nationals come down from their demands for Cameron Maybin in any trade package Soriano would've likely been a Tiger at the end of July.

As far as the Tigers trying to revisit a trade for Soriano goes if the Nats are still asking for Maybin like they were a month ago a trade won't happen.

It doesn't really matter though because I don't see any way Soriano clears waivers.
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates